It's slow ...

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Let's argue about rap It's not to denounce Kanye or Common at all. All I'm saying is that there is still a generation, or there is such a thing now as grown-up rap music. There is such a thing now. Rap is 33 years old, so as long as I can still pull the loyal A Tribe Called Quest fans who don't know where Tribe is right now, I'm cool. That's a whole new market, that's a brand new market. That's a true school market. For me, if a kid tells me, "9th you talk like somebody's daddy" or "your beats sound old or dated", well at least I'm acting my damn age! That's for damn sure. And if you say I'm acting like somebody's daddy or my music sounds old like somebody's daddy, somebody needs to show you what a daddy is. So that's my point. I don't have to change nothing. If I'm gonna change my stuff up man, I'm doing it cause I want to and I've always been like that. That's how I got to where I am, doing me. But I notice everyday, there is a 34 year old woman or man saying "man you make the beats that I've been missing". I'd rather be a role model to a kid and try to show them where my generation is instead of trying to bring my generation to kick it with his. Nah! It don't work like that. It didn't work like that with my parents. When you were little and your parents would have a cookout, what music was they playing. Were they playing rap music?ThaFormula.Com - Hell No...Hell no, they told you to "take your music and go to the bedroom with that, out here we are bumpin' this, we don't bump that. You go with your friends to bump that", but now you got cats my age, they playing what the kids are playing. NO!! You don't do that. You tell that kid the real, yeah you are Chicken Noodle Soupin' and all, but what we out here playing is EPMD, either you can get with it or you can't. Take your little "dancey-dance" music or whatever you call it and go in the bedroom. Out here we listen to Salt-N-Pepa, Mary J Blige, EPMD, Guy, New Edition, etc. That's what we're playing out here. We are grown and that's what we do. So that's where I am with mine.discuss.

Comments

• I just don't think he has the talent to adapt his style enough, which is why he might seem kinda mad...
    Someone with much more talent, like Pete Rock, has managed to update his style really well and there are people out there like Illmind who can do 9th style beats much better than him one minute and then make a G-Unit synth beat the next...

• i really like the new fergie single.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What is this dude so mad about? He's getting that Jay-z and Destiny's Child money--it's not like he's been wholly unable to interest people in his production.

Is it because those other Little Brother dudes kicked him out?

And I'm snickering at the image of any of the 34-year-old women I know exclaiming "Man, you make the beats that I've been missing!"

• What is this dude so mad about? He's getting that Jay-z and Destiny's Child money--it's not like he's been wholly unable to interest people in his production.

Is it because those other Little Brother dudes kicked him out?

And I'm snickering at the image of any of the 34-year-old women I know exclaiming "Man, you make the beats that I've been missing!"

What he's sayin makes sense to me. He stays in his lane and is pretty successful with it. The Jay Z and DC money isn't always what it seems when you're sampling though. No pub = no yapers.

What he's sayin makes sense to me. He stays in his lane and is pretty successful with it. The Jay Z and DC money isn't always what it seems when you're sampling though. No pub = no yapers.

Take your little "dancey-dance" music or whatever you call it and go in the bedroom.

^^^^That's not staying in your lane, though. That's just mad. And I'm wondering why--as you point out, he's got his core audience, and, as I was pointing out, he's also managed to reach well beyond it.

• WHO THE EFF ARE YOU GUYS COMPLAINING ABOUT?

really, i see no name mentioned yet you all seem to know who dude is. maybe its just some regular innernet guy, holmesis.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    yeah it dont make sense. Based on what 9th is tellin me im supposed to rep what I was listening to in middle-school and high-school from now on? I graduated in '96 so is that my cuttoff? Id really like to know. I mean, there is only so many rotations you can get out of a candyman lp before you just completely lose your shit. like 3 or something.

perfect time for a

• What he's sayin makes sense to me. He stays in his lane and is pretty successful with it. The Jay Z and DC money isn't always what it seems when you're sampling though. No pub = no yapers.

Take your little "dancey-dance" music or whatever you call it and go in the bedroom.

^^^^That's not staying in your lane, though. That's just mad. And I'm wondering why--as you point out, he's got his core audience, and, as I was pointing out, he's also managed to reach well beyond it.

Its some generational shit though. I talk shit to the youngsters I know like that too. "Chicken Noodle Soup" really is for the kids. It doesn't really bother me that kids have their own style of rap. If "math hop", "coke rap" and all these other sub genres can co exist why can't kid rap be around.

• you make a case, for my part rap and hip hop will always represent the raw sound. the sound of the street, My concern is that since it is in its adulthood, that its offspring should atleast materalize into something other than rock's bastard child pop, I know making money feels good but at what point do you stop and say man! I'm a sell out, and this doesn't sound like hip hop no more, this isn't rap this sounds like black eyed peas shit this sounds like golddigger, enough with that, legitimize a true genre for these antics and leave hip-hop and rap alone, and personally no one is mad, its just dialogue among demigogs, true music only comes around so often..reference jazz..

• you make a case, for my part rap and hip hop will always represent the raw sound. the sound of the street, My concern is that since it is in its adulthood, that its offspring should atleast materalize into something other than rock's bastard child pop, I know making money feels good but at what point do you stop and say man! I'm a sell out, and this doesn't sound like hip hop no more, this isn't rap this sounds like black eyed peas shit this sounds like golddigger, enough with that, legitimize a true genre for these antics and leave hip-hop and rap alone, and personally no one is mad, its just dialogue among demigogs, true music only comes around so often..reference jazz..

You must not have made any money yet doin music. lol.

• its 9th Wonder from a snippet of a full interview taken from ThaFormula.com. And he isn't really mad, just explaining his viewpoint. Although I am sure certain segments would like to write him off as mad, because you know he throws a few small jabs out.

dancey dance music is classic though. ha!

Its some generational shit though. I talk shit to the youngsters I know like that too. "Chicken Noodle Soup" really is for the kids. It doesn't really bother me that kids have their own style of rap. If "math hop", "coke rap" and all these other sub genres can co exist why can't kid rap be around.

Yeah, see, I'd be a lot more sympathetic to dude if he was a rapper. I can understand somebody asking why, as a thirty-year old man, they should be rapping about some teenage schitt.

But what is it about this dude's beats that supposedly make them musically more mature than those of any more popular producer?

I think he's confusing "dated" with "grownup".

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Yeah, see, I'd be a lot more sympathetic to dude if he was a rapper. I can understand somebody asking why, as a thirty-year old man, they should be rapping about some teenage schitt.

But what is it about this dude's beats that supposedly make them musically more mature than those of any more popular producer?

he didn't say his beats have an intrinsic mature quality, he said they appeal to a more mature, grown audience. what is so hard to understand about the point he's trying to get across?

• And I'm snickering at the image of any of the 34-year-old women I know exclaiming "Man, you make the beats that I've been missing!"

Or better yet, a room full of 30-somethings bumping EPMD and Salt-N-Pepa (no offense to the 30-somethings on this site who listen to S-N-P and EPMD)...

However, I am feeling the terms:

Chicken Noodle Soupin'

and

Dancey Dance Music

Good Shit 9th.

he didn't say his beats have an intrinsic mature quality, he said they appeal to a more mature, grown audience. what is so hard to understand about the point he's trying to get across?

"We are grown and that's what we do. So that's where I am with mine."

Beyond sounding ridiculous, he's also mistaken; his fanbase consists primarily of people that were too young to have lived through the early nineties and therefore don't realize just how weak his schitt is in comparison to the music of that era.