Digging in Korea?

tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm starting to hit a quarter-life crisis here and I'm thinking pretty hard about teaching English abroad in the next year. So far I'm leaning towards Korea since it looks like I could live pretty well and knock out a pretty good chunk of my student loans on what they pay, but I want to check on the other important aspects of living abroad as well. So anyone have any experience in SoKo? Are there records worth getting? Are they cheap? Any NRR advice about living in Korea would also be appreciated.

Comments

• I just posed this question to a friend of mine who just moved to Pusan...and she said the diggin might be pretty good as it is a huge international port with lots of Russian, Japanese and American ships coming in for the last 50 years...lots of ex-pats as well...she said she would give me a better report as she gets settled in. I plan to pay her a visit soon. Looking forward to my first Asian dig!

• I just posed this question to a friend of mine who just moved to Pusan...and she said the diggin might be pretty good as it is a huge international port with lots of Russian, Japanese and American ships coming in for the last 50 years...lots of ex-pats as well...she said she would give me a better report as she gets settled in. I plan to pay her a visit soon. Looking forward to my first Asian dig!

Port cities sounds like a pretty good bet. Is there an army base nearby?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Pusan is home to a large US Naval base. Most sailors didn't bring their records with them when they went out to sea though. Your best bet would be seoul. plus, thats the best place to live if you are going to teach. There are records out there, and since most teaching gigs are about a year you should have plenty of time to find them. Also I remember seeing some records about 10 years ago (!!! damn, that long?!?) in Songtan, which is where Osan AFB is located.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Also I remember seeing some records about 10 years ago

I used to travel to Seoul quite often in the early 90's to visit family. I would get snuck into clubs and bars by my older cousins and they knew tons of DJ's at the time. Most of them were rich kids that had studyed in the the states and returned home but they all had tons of hiphop 12's. I remember one DJ juggling Kirs Kross 12's. There is large outdoor flea market type place (very famous but I don't remember the name) that had tons of records. I was going through a metal phase but I remember buying almost every Suicidal Tendancies LP I could find. I think it was near the huge shoe area E Ta Won? Or something like that? Seoul is HUGE so there will be tons of localized shops and markets for LP's. Good luck!

• So it looks like Seoul is the place to be. Thanks for the advice.

I wonder what it says about me that my requirements for moving somewhere are live baseball and records.