ultrasonic cleaners

2»

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Frank

did you use a battery powered clock to rotate the record ?

Yes, it??s the clockwork from a cheap $5 Chinese kitchen clock.
    Problem is that it doesn't have enough horsepowers to rotate LPs.
    I ordered a mechanic rewind kitchen clock that should do the trick.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

There used to be some stuff called "the magic record film" that was sold in Europe up until a few years ago that works just like Elmer's Glue, unfortunately, it is not produced anymore.

You mean this one? You can still order it.

Looks like the same stuff in a new package.

I still have some of the old "magic record film" but now I know where to get more once I run out of it.

Thanx!

Frank

• http://www.brillianize.com/ ---- has anybody heard of or ever used this product for cleaning records..

I've used it on a few cheeser joints and it made nearly 90% of all background noise dissapear, it even took out some of the softer pops and clicks. I'm wondering if someone who knows more then me can test it out?? ect ect.. will it leave any residue on the vinyl that fuggs up my needle?? not like i'm using some diamond tipped joint, but you know. The one's that I did use it on came out looking incredible.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This is a whole different topic... but has anyone ever had experience with one of those machines that shave off a tiny thin layer of Vinyl, supposedly turning absolutely trashed records into something usable?

• bump...just got my shit set up today.

• This is a whole different topic... but has anyone ever had experience with one of those machines that shave off a tiny thin layer of Vinyl, supposedly turning absolutely trashed records into something usable?

Dunno, but I did overhear advice at a record show from an old dude. Apparently the secret to getting rid of hairline scratches is to douse the LP in alcohol.... then take a lighter and wave the flame underneath it. See, it will take the hairline RIGHT OUT! Don't think the two guys he was talking to were buying it, judging from their expressions.

• This is a whole different topic... but has anyone ever had experience with one of those machines that shave off a tiny thin layer of Vinyl, supposedly turning absolutely trashed records into something usable?

I was under the impression that this wasn't to improve the sound quality but to enable unscrupulous dealers to pass off battered records as better condition than they are.

Was a pretty common practice for a few reggae dealers in London, according to a story I heard / read / got told somewhere long ago.

Known as Skimming

This thread is I gotta get me one of these.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    bump...just got my shit set up today.

I might take this design to the next level and go for an environment-friendly device.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    bump...just got my shit set up today.

I might take this design to the next level and go for an environment-friendly device.

But that's only if the poor thing survives its grueling trip through your guts.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Hammertime, now that you've been using it a while... how do the ultrasonic?

I stopped using mine cuz it just takes too damn long. Unless its like a $500 45 with mold in the grooves, the VPI will be just fine for me.

• i'm loving it...i only leave them in for 5 minutes or so, i don't know if they're immaculate at that point but it's a world of difference. i can't compare it to a VPI, but this was in my price range right now and a VPI definitely is not.

• I'm also wondering about labels getting wet...
    Do you rotate the record at such a slow speed that by the time a just-dunked-portion would reach the 12 o'clock position, the liquid has already run down the sides or evaporated?

• 3rdshow3rdshow 168 Posts
    amazing thread

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts