First radio station you listened to....

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
As a kid I listened to my parents, brother and cousins records. Never really listened to the radio until I was older (except for an occasional Phillies game) One of the first radio staions I listened to was wifi 92. I googled the station and found their playlist from 1979...WIFI 92 FM INFORMATION DECEMBER 12TH - DECEMBER 18, 1979 1. Still - Commodores 1 2. Babe - Styx 2 3. Please Don't Go - KC & Sunshine Band 3 4. Take The Long Way Home - Supertramp 5 5. Cool Change - LRB 6 6. Wait For Me - Hall & Oates 7 7. Jane - Jefferson Starship 8 8. Heartache Tonight - Eagles 3 9. Head Games - Foreigner 13 10. We Don't Talk Anymore - Cliff Richard 20 11. Escape - Rupert Holmes 15 12. Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow 22 13. The Long Run - Eagles 24 14. This Is It - Kenny Loggins 18 15. Crusin' - Smokey Robinson 19 16. Damned If I Do - Alan Parsons 16 17. Ships - Barry Manilow 10 18. Third Time Lucky - Foghat 25 19. Dim All The Lights - Donna Summer 12 20. Sail On - Commodores 11 21. I Need A Lover - John Cougar 17 22. Train, Train - Blackfoot 26 23. I Want You Tonight - Pablo Cruise 23 24. Sara - Fleetwood Mac 27 25. Don't Do Me Like That - Tom Petty 29 26. Voices - Cheap Trick 28 27. Savannah Nights - Tom Johnston 30 28. You Decorated My Life - Kenny Rogers 4 29. You Know That I Love You -Santana X 30. Yes I'm Ready - Teri Desario X X. She's In Love With You -Suzie Quatro X X. I Do Believe In You - The Pages X X. Romeo's Tune - Steve Forbert X X. You're Gonna Get What's Coming - Bonnie Raitt X X. Better Love Next Time - Dr. Hook X X. Longer - Dan Fogelberg Add X. Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar Add X. Too Late - Journey Add X. Shapes Of Things To Come - Headboys Add X. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen Add X. Let Me Sleep Alone - Don Cuginihow's that for an intro to radio what kind of radio stations molded the soul strut nation???

Comments

• KKUA AM 69

First FM station I got into was 98 Rock, a/k/a KDUK, "The Duke".

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The only station I ever became a devotee to was KISS 100 when it was first changing from pirate to legit around 1990. I remember djs like Gilles Peterson, Patrick Forge, Norman Jay, Colin Dale, Colin Fava, Fabio, Grooverider etc were an essential resource for my early teen listening development. Shame the station went to shit.

Wish I still had all the taped shows.

• I think it was CBS and I think it was on AM.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    WMCA in NYC

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Z-100 NYC (HITS. POP)

WRKI 95.1 FM, I95 FM CT (CLASSIC ROCK)

WEBE 108 BRIDGEPORT, CT (MOMS WOULD BLAST THE 70S EZ AND LIONEL RICHIE CAN'T SLOW DOWN in the whip)

98.7 KISS FM NYC (my R&B upbringing)

WDVE Pittsburgh

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    KITS San Francisco, 105.3 (Live 105). They had some golden years back before alternative rock went to shit. And they would play Green Day, which, as a 4th grader, gave them instant cred.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    WMOD & WDC 101 way back (early to mid 70's)

then i graduated to WGTB & WCVT (mid to late 70's)

78-82 KCFV fm & WESL AM (east st louis insanity !)

• WVON, "The Black Giant." Back when I was a mere preschooler, my mom always had this station playing in the background. At the time, it was THEE big soul station in Chicago; just about every record store in south Chicago had a stack of 'VON playlists on the counter. And what was in rotation in '71-72? Just about all the soul classics: Donnie Elbert's "Where Did Our Love Go," Jean Knight's "Mr. Big Stuff," the Honey Cone (in general; they were on fire back then), Aretha, Love Unlimited's "Walking In The Rain With The One I Love," Al Green (take your pick), O'Jays' "Back Stabbers" (and "992 Arguments"), Freda Payne's "Cherish What Is Dear To You," and Joe "Youngblood" Cobb's "It's L.B. Time" (Cobb was a 'VON deejay).

WVON is now a talk radio station geared towards the African-American market, although DJ Pervis Spann (The Blues Man) is still holding on from the old days (his daughter runs the station!).

• KPOP 93.5 late 70s-early 80s Soul Music...now its Rock.

Also, KFRC 610

• First radio show I remember getting into was The Electrifying Mojo on WJLB. Great stuff, a legend here in Detroit. Was a member of the Midnight Funk Association at 9 years old. Mojo played great stuff from all genres, as long as it was funky. Favorites include B-52s "Mesopotamia", Chas Jenkel "3,000,000 Synths", any and all Parliament/Funkadelic related tracks, Visage "Frequency 7", A Number Of Names "Sharevari", Kraftwerk, and tons more.

"When you're at the end of your rope, hang on, tie a knot, the journey of thousand steps starts with the first"

SONIC