Indian Heaters

Scratch_n_SniffScratch_n_Sniff 353 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I am DJing at an art gallery this Friday, and the party is supposed to have a Bollywood theme. The only Indian song I know is Dum Maro Dum. Please help and post a couple heatrocks from the subcontinent.

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    tunak tunak tun

(cross ref w/ my post in 'what dudes do you think don't have records' thread)

• tunak tunak tun

(cross ref w/ my post in 'what dudes do you think don't have records' thread)

The video for thie song is

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• I got a stack Indian Music CDs from a friend, but I have no track listings. I think this most of this stuff is fairly popular stuff halfway around the world. Can anyone ID this one?

Random Bangrha Track

• The Party is straight BS. Peter Sellers in brownface with a fake indianized accent =

heaters? pls define. retro funky jams? modern clubland sounds? bhangra? loads of choices. what is it you seek??

• I got a stack Indian Music CDs from a friend, but I have no track listings. I think this most of this stuff is fairly popular stuff halfway around the world. Can anyone ID this one?

Random Bangrha Track

this is not a bhangra track, it's from a bollywood flick, track probably called "chori chori' or something. i've heard it but can't recall which particular movie it's from.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

The Party is straight BS. Peter Sellers in brownface with a fake indianized accent =

uh... did you watch the movie? sellers was making fun of all the fake stuck up hollywood sycophants. His character was the only real dude in the movie.

• i did see it. normally sellers was funny. that character though was a horrible stereotype anyway you look at it, even if he was the 'realest' character. he was a real dude in the movie[/b] with a stereotyped fake accent, so too.

• The Party is straight BS. Peter Sellers in brownface with a fake indianized accent =

heaters? pls define. retro funky jams? modern clubland sounds? bhangra? loads of choices. what is it you seek??

Retro funky jams or bhangra sounds good. Goofyness or funkyness is a plus. It's not going to be a dance party, more of a socializing affair, so an Indian equivalent of cool bar music is what I'm going for. I've been given the go ahead to play all sorts of other music too, but I want a grip of Indian stuff to mix to keep with the theme of the party.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Get Shalimar & the Bombay The Hard Way comp. the Sitar beats comp is nice, too

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i did see it. normally sellers was funny. that character though was a horrible stereotype anyway you look at it, even if he was the 'realest' character. he was a real dude in the movie[/b] with a stereotyped fake accent, so too.

no i hear you, but the party came out when the only roles for chinese-american's required the lines "Fo-gi-va-ness Paleeez" or "A thow-zan Paaa-dons."

dont get racially ass-hurt about a movie that come out roughly 40 years ago.

• The crowd is going to be mostly college students who know little about Bollywood, although there are a few, like my friend that lent me a stack of CDs, that will recognise the classics.

Oh, and BTW, I recently found a 45 of Spanky and Our Gang - I'd Like to Get to Know You, and looped it up for a beat. I titled mine after the song, and when I pulled it up in iTunes, I saw that you ended your EP with the same damn sample. Oh well...back to the crates. I guess that's what I get for using long chops of things.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Usha Uthap "24 Carats" LP from '79 or '80 featuring a ton of pop hits of the day redone in hindi. Some of the tunes on here include Michael Jackson's "don't stop ril you get enough" & Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff"

• i did see it. normally sellers was funny. that character though was a horrible stereotype anyway you look at it, even if he was the 'realest' character. he was a real dude in the movie[/b] with a stereotyped fake accent, so too.

no i hear you, but the party came out when the only roles for chinese-american's required the lines "Fo-gi-va-ness Paleeez" or "A thow-zan Paaa-dons."

dont get racially ass-hurt about a movie that come out roughly 40 years ago.

:5pager:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Get Shalimar & the Bombay The Hard Way comp. the Sitar beats comp is nice, too

agreed, also any ananda shankar you can grab, there are reissues/ boots floating around

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i posted this up in the sheeps thread's a coupla days ago. it may help out.

http://computermusicradio.com/hey_now_brown_cow/Hey_Now_Brown_Cow_10_22_06.m4a

also check usha uttap - one two cha cha cha (on Shalimaar OST). maybe my favorite old hindi jam.

pm me if you need any mptrees.

• Retro funky jams or bhangra sounds good. Goofyness or funkyness is a plus. It's not going to be a dance party, more of a socializing affair, so an Indian equivalent of cool bar music is what I'm going for. I've been given the go ahead to play all sorts of other music too, but I want a grip of Indian stuff to mix to keep with the theme of the party.

yeah the recommendations here are on point. if you're looking for indian flavored background lounge style music any of the 60s/70s sitar funk jams will do the job.

also try any of the old talvin singh releases like sounds of the asian underground, any of his albums (ok, ha, virasa) etc. karsh kale has some chill stuff too. and oh also check out anoushka shankar's latest album, sitar meets lounge type of ish, might be too new agey though.

racially ass-hurt

you are right, there's nothing wrong with peter sellers in brownface, we can watch "the party" now and ironically poke fun at it coz that's how people used to think then, and we've come such a long way since the 1960s right? sorry, not buying it.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    racially ass-hurt

you are right, there's nothing wrong with peter sellers in brownface, we can watch "the party" now and ironically poke fun at it coz that's how people used to think then, and we've come such a long way since the 1960s right? sorry, not buying it.

guess im less brown than you. ...

all BS aside, im feelin the inst title track on the record.

these were pretty big last year in brown country, but kinda velveta.

A R Rheman - rang de basanti

Bluff Master OST - Sabse Bada Rupaiyaa