What soul label represents the sound of your town?

2»

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Le Cam
    Charay
    Sonnibuck
    Soultex
    one or two others I can't think of offhand
    DFW Intl (?)

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    KANDA
    NASHVILLE WEST

fresno labels.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    I'm waiting to hear Shingaling's response to this, him being down there in Memphis and all.

I don't think we had any soul labels down here.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Boola Boola, Brown Door, Stone Flower, Bay Town, Loadstone, Music City, et al are obvious choices for the Bay Area, but I think WEE reflects the diversity of the Bay best; despite a relatively small catalog, Lonnie Hewitt produced latin, soul, psych (mad river!), jazz, and funk releases all on one weird little label.

Chuck Huss' post count = half short twice strong. Quality. Anybody need a PIR Square? I gots a spare.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Le Cam
    Charay
    Sonnibuck
    Soultex
    one or two others I can't think of offhand
    DFW Intl (?)

Pompeii dood...and shingaling is correct, I cant think of any soul labels outta mempho

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    -magic touch (mad chicago releases from these guys as well)

-odessa

-new world

-raynard

-calgar

-progress

all of these labels except magic touch, and new world were mainly country, rock, and other assorted bullshits, with a couple or even one standout soul/funk tune.

-i honestly don't think there is a milwaukee sound though. they're all just chicago biters that really can't hang, but have lucky accidents.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Is there a label called Cow Shit and Meat Packing Smell?

Find the label that puts out Limp Bizkit...

LOL... that's why their new EP sold in the low thousands. Well, it was more than the label...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    LMI[/b] - for them deep raer heads
    Nimbus[/b] - for them spiritual jazz heads
    Solar[/b] - for them modern soul heads and Whispers fans
    ...and for Soulrez, Whittier[/b]

can't believe we are almost 40 posts into this and no one has repped LA yet

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    Being From Jersey City, I gotta go with DElite and Moving World.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    LMI is one, but the 'sound of the Valley' is more big-band jazz than soul. I dunno...Dobre, Discovery, Pablo, etc., I guess. For the downtown you got your Money, Bel-Ad, Rampart, etc

• Boola Boola, Brown Door, Stone Flower, Bay Town, Loadstone, Music City, et al are obvious choices for the Bay Area, but I think WEE reflects the diversity of the Bay best; despite a relatively small catalog, Lonnie Hewitt produced latin, soul, psych (mad river!), jazz, and funk releases all on one weird little label.

Chuck Huss' post count = half short twice strong. Quality. Anybody need a PIR Square? I gots a spare.

what are talking about, that fool ain't from the TOWN!

frisconian