96 Indy Rap Records...

butterybiscuitsbutterybiscuits 300 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
i thought i was really up on most of the craazy NY indy pieces circa 96-97...but i'm lost on THIS one. i know a bunch of these records from that time go for a shiny penny, but this... is this bs or real deal holyfield? someone please enlighten me.

Comments

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    IMHO, that record is not particularly good at all - but it was featured on a mix (one of JR Ewing's maybe?) and found its way onto many wants lists.
    Based purely on the music alone (not resale opportunities) I'd struggle to pay more than $3 for it.

However, I know a lot of people out there would disagree with me.

• - but it was featured on a mix (one of JR Ewing's maybe?) and found its way onto many wants lists.

I've never even heard or seen a JR Ewing mix tape but it seems like dude jock the tapes and jock the more obscure records from those tapes, at least from what I've seen on message boards. I remember a couple of years back, people on VE people talking about the Sparrow record being on a JR Ewing mix tape, then seeing one on ebay go for an insane amount of $$$.

DWG, have you heard any of his tapes? I seem to remember that he is French, is that correct?

• sparrows pretty good though. both 12s.

• and i dont know that one deep 12, but the label art looks like Klaus Janson, one of my favorite comic book dudes.

• sparrows pretty good though. both 12s.

Agreed, although I only have the 1st one, but it just seems like it started to go for major loot after the JR Ewing internet talk. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    DWG, have you heard any of his tapes? I seem to remember that he is French, is that correct?

I think you're right about him being French - but I haven't heard much. I seem to remember someone uploading one of his mixes on the old Vinyl Exchange board, but I never kept it. And, yeah, that is where a lot of the Sparrow hype came from as well.

I'll have a look tonight and see if I can upload the One Deep tracks. I know it's 'Crime Stories' that is the one that gets peoples' panties soaking.

• If you like Sparrow......those SL Flex/Sparrow joints are worth checking for. i think they are all still in print.

For the record i'll have that One Deep 12" going up on ebay real soon.....keep your eyes pealed.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Here you go...

One Deep 'Crime Stories' 1996

"No sir, I didn't like it..."

• Czech out what this dude tof31000[/b] posted in the WANTS section.
    I have never heard a single goddamn one of these records. Have we moved
    beyond the big beat drum machine fast random rapp into the more loopcentric
    echoed horns filtered bass indie hip-hop in terms of just what's MONEY?:

pm your want list if you have one of this for sell or trade...

-looptroop: fuck a record deal ep.1997.
    -street poets: skinz,everyday life.1995.
    -buda hedz: rapwacks.1994.
    -killa kids: 96 phenomenon (young life records)???
    -big o:rocks the world.
    -pryme tyme: pot heads degree.1993.
    -Illmatic Buddha Mc's
    -buhda brand : four fingers of death.
    -paranormal sickayatrist. Ep.
    -Native Rhythms -Paid my dues/Hey hey
    -DA HENCHMEN - WHAT U GONNA DO 1994
    -PRINCE IKEY C - THE DOOBIE 1992
    -PRECISE AND THE BOYS EP
    -rough luxury crew pandemonium 1993
    -o da don twist of lime / another day
    -lord sha fet. mr.x bigga tha critta rare 1995
    -ebony broadcast system skillz just made da mutha
    -nation of riot swung with the numb vibe 12' 1993
    -tribal jam planet f ya'll / 925
    -WORTHY D & THE BOYS - MY TECHNOLOGY
    -LYRIC LORDS - NEED I SAY MORE 1993
    -THE ULTIMATE REIGN OF MUSICAL ASSASSINS 1995
    -mytee g poetic:com???n with nuff rufness. 1995
    -the scam ep. mci entertainment.1992.
    - b.l.a.c.k (Beats Lyrics and Conscious Knowledge): It Comes With The Color.1992.
    -jewel of da nine ep.
    -dope and a gun: who got the flava.1994.
    -tsu tactic ep.1993. tsu production.
    -lyrical underworld: flatline, it???s on.1993.
    -legion of doom: live bait, gangster boogie, here I come.1993.bill collectors.
    -a.b.u (African brother united) nation: pat em down.1996.
    -life???s a scam ep.mci records.1994.
    -tec9: I???m all that.1992
    -soul paty: the flavour.
    -olori rock:ruff n tuff. 1994.
    -the henshmen: flippin with da henshmen.
    -tony tone: old school flava.
    -renaissance of chaos: it???s the hype.
    -the posse nfx: the king.
    -lords at war: jim Kelly.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    -ebony broadcast system skillz just made da mutha
    -LYRIC LORDS - NEED I SAY MORE 1993
    -olori rock:ruff n tuff. 1994.
    -tony tone: old school flava.

I've got those (and the Henchmen EP)... so they are out there. I know there's been a lot of activity on this early/mid '90s genre - a bunch of those cuts were on various mixes over the past few years, so people are starting to look for those now.

Some of them are great, some of them not so great... C'est la vie!

• Here you go...

One Deep 'Crime Stories' 1996

"No sir, I didn't like it..."

that's a nice $5 record

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I traded my Sparrow record (given directly to me by executive producer Aaron Lacrate in 1994) to some dude in France for like some half-baked dollar record I swear.

• I traded my Sparrow record (given directly to me by executive producer Aaron Lacrate in 1994) to some dude in France for like some half-baked dollar record I swear.

doh!

the producer moved to philly. cool as hell. good people.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    had both sparrow's i think the less valuable one is half decent and the more valuable one is boring. generally i don't find that grimey mid 90's aesthetic to be a very interesting one, at least once you get past the classics. i think by then there was enough of a distribution network in that era that the cream was rising to the top. but maybe there's something out there that'll prove me wrong. and if not, i'm not mad at getting guap for bad records.

that crime stories shit is fucking horrible. i would laugh in the face of the guy who spent four bills for it.

now can we talk about these t-shirts?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    getting guap

Please stop

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    getting guap

Please stop

I wrote "fetti" originally, but i figured you'd appreciate the second incarnation more.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    yeah j.r. ewing is french.. and yes cause he threw alot of dope indie recs on his tapez they suddenly became unpay/findable! Try to find "greenpaper" from the microphone terrorists or the revival of the underground vol 2 ep with that "never judge a book" joint from Alamo on it (i would like to have one of these if somebody is up for a trade )
    There was also a brass tacks 12" promo (Inner City/ Game Iz or somethin like that) with picture label wich got up to 300$ i think..shit is crazy
    i would also kill for brainwash 2000 - break it down

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    There was also a brass tacks 12" promo (Inner City/ Game Iz or somethin like that) with picture label wich got up to 300$ i think..shit is crazy

I remember Mr. Bongo's here in London giving away free copies of that Brass Tacks material because it wasn't selling.

well the flipside is kinda jiggy.. and the main track not really dope.. i like "ice breaker classic" better

• i would also kill for brainwash 2000 - break it down

no doubt!

• you have look all this record in ebay!!

i have my wish list since many times ...and i had i little all the days.... [/b]

• There was also a brass tacks 12" promo (Inner City/ Game Iz or somethin like that) with picture label wich got up to 300$ i think..shit is crazy

I remember Mr. Bongo's here in London giving away free copies of that Brass Tacks material because it wasn't selling.

yeah, same with 24 karat black and carl shewrlock holmes back in the days....

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Illmatic Buddha Mc's

you have look all this record in ebay!!

i have my wish list since many times ...and i had i little all the days.... [/b]

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That song's ok. Bop Ya Headz by Stezo is way better, but doesn't command nearly as much money. And I tried to get that shit WHEN IT CAME OUT and couldn't. WTF.

• just heard One Deep at my hommie's house this weekend. i thought it was pretty sick. there are millions of titles out there like this though...a lot of decent music.

just picked up a 12 called Massive Ring- Middle East from 1993. not ridiculous, but pretty tight. nice track.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Le-What? Le-Who?