SoulStrut.com Slang

rogbrogb 172 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I've decided to focus my linguistics project on the slang of Soulstrut.com, but my professor needs proof that Soulstrut.com has its very own "dialect/slang."She said she wants to know if everyone agrees upon the meanings of slang word, because online forums are hard to classify as a "subculture" with a distinct dialect.If I could get everyone's agreed upon definition for (or any other ish): Please help i'll post some raer mp3's for your help! seriously!Thanks, rogb

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    why focus it on graemlins?

what a fany project! Good luck with it, and don't walk away son. Deal!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    tell you teacher this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

which means:

Gweilo (鬼佬; Jyutping: gwai2 lou2; Cantonese IPA: kwɐɪ35 ləʊ35; Pinyin: guĭlăo; sometimes also spelt Gwailo) is a Cantonese term for Caucasian people (generally men). It literally means "ghost man" or "ghost chap"[1] and arose to describe the pale complexion, the sometimes "red hair and green/blue eyes" (紅鬚綠眼) of Caucasians. When the term is translated into English, it is sometimes wrongly translated as foreign devil. The term arose in the 19th century and maybe associated with the occupation of China by foreign powers.

The term is sometimes considered offensive by non-Cantonese people.[2] Many Cantonese speakers, however, frequently use the term to refer to white people and westerners in general that they consider the term non-derogatory, a controversial notion.[3]. Prior to the 1980s, the term was commonly prefaced by sei (死, jyutping: sei2, meaning: death[4], damnation) as in sei gweilo, meaning "damned ghost man", a definite pejorative.

Gweilo is the most generic term, but variations include:

* To refer specifically to Caucasian women: gweipor (鬼婆, jyutping: gwai2 po4, literally: "ghost woman") which is also often spelt "gwai-poh" 4 LIFE[/b]

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    records

• I've decided to focus my linguistics project on the slang of Soulstrut.com

• old tale once told:

is what was heard if none contribution, or indroduction has yet to be known.

either that or be prepared for some clon.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Bud: All of those graemlins are as just as contextual as their actual words (inasmuch as they are usually takeoffs of hip-hop phraseology). The
    and icons would be the ones to tackle, because they are indigenous to this board. How much do you know about pictographic forms, by the way?

Personally, I'd favor the linguistic patterns of either the Bantu branch of the Niger-Congo Language group or the Old Gutnish dialect of Old (East) Norse. Those, or Caucasian Proto-Emo ("I luuurve you.")

• The raer term also applies to plaese. Note that raer is one that has entered into alot of people's ebay auctions. one of my favorites is

don't forget secret squirrel is a good one. white whale.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Alright thanks guys for whatever help youre given me.

By the way, sorry for the unintroduction but my name is roger, 19, from hawaii, living in oregon.

Been digging for 3? years now. It is a blessing.

K imma just do what I gotta do. Too bad my teach isnt upto date with the internet lingo-statistics (?)

ANyway i'll just pick up from what I've seen around the board.

AS for those mp3s, they will be up soon

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Dont forget the one-time classic

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I've decided to focus my linguistics project on the slang of Soulstrut.com, but my professor needs proof that Soulstrut.com has its very own "dialect/slang."
    She said she wants to know if everyone agrees upon the meanings of slang word, because online forums are hard to classify as a "subculture" with a distinct dialect.

I am curious to hear more about this project. Great idea and good luck!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Wasn't there talk a while ago of an official Soulstrut lexicon, wherein the etymology of terms like "fany", "raer", "plaese", "that real schitt", "hatte(u)r", "folls and idoits", "thread count", "you sound poor/white/ass-hurt" and "tono bungay" would be laid out for the benefit of future generations and mankind as a whole?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Wasn't there talk a while ago of an official Soulstrut lexicon, wherein the etymology of terms like "fany", "raer", "plaese", "that real schitt", "hatte(u)r", "folls and idoits", "thread count", "you sound poor/white/ass-hurt" and "tono bungay" would be laid out for the benefit of future generations and mankind as a whole?

I think such a project would get bogged down by the average strutter's ignorance of the fact that up to 75% of the slang appropriated by Soulstrut did not actually originate here.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I think such a project would get bogged down by the average strutter's ignorance of the fact that up to 75% of the slang appropriated by Soulstrut did not actually originate here.

Make that 95%.

• Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"NAGL"

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    I've decided to focus my linguistics project on the slang of Soulstrut.com, but my professor needs proof that Soulstrut.com has its very own "dialect/slang."
    She said she wants to know if everyone agrees upon the meanings of slang word, because online forums are hard to classify as a "subculture" with a distinct dialect.

I am curious to hear more about this project. Great idea and good luck!

The project is due on Friday. Everything is submitted online for this assignment, so once I post everythinup I will provide a link.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    records

rackords

• Wasn't there talk a while ago of an official Soulstrut lexicon, wherein the etymology of terms like "fany", "raer", "plaese", "that real schitt", "hatte(u)r", "folls and idoits", "thread count", "you sound poor/white/ass-hurt" and "tono bungay" would be laid out for the benefit of future generations and mankind as a whole?

I disagree. I think some are completely ambiguous or synonymous with other aspects of culture and/or bulletin boards(Lil John, Hard as fuck, etc.) and passed around, but the most used ones from soul strut originate hear(raer, facemelt). mostly from spelling mistakes. and if they originate somewhere else, they are misused/misappropriated here on soul strut.

• yeah man, not a bad idea for your project but a lot of those ones you listed aren't specific to soul strut. like 'not a good look' people say that everywhere all the time.

but there ARE ones that are indigenous to the strut. like bean dip.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Soulstrut specific slang lexicon entries past and present:

Shit's goiter, man.
    Carfagnalogue
    Bloodstool (see also bloodshitter)

Please add on.

• In the wide world of human linguistics I'm surprised that all you could come up with is soulstrut.

Not to be a downer but if I were your professor I would see that as a total cop-out

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    In the wide world of human linguistics I'm surprised that all you could come up with is soulstrut.

Not to be a downer but if I were your professor I would see that as a total cop-out

A little like giving a freshmen speech about the legalization of marijuana, or a talk on the brilliance of The Simpsons. Sure they may be good topics but it's not, as they say, a good look.

• In the wide world of human linguistics I'm surprised that all you could come up with is soulstrut.

dude - he said he'd put up raers but has only been diggin' since he was 16 - THREE YEARS AGO how many holes in his thought process does he need to have?

• records

rackords

raisins

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Indigenous soulstruttisms that I can think of:

bean dip
    meaning: actual bean dip
    Usage: Not sure, but you know it when you see it
    Origin: bean dip offa the stark

spiderhole
    meaning: code that causes the appearance of a thread to complete fall apart, and or crash a computer
    Usage: "This thread just fell into a spiderhole"
    Origin: Saddam Hussein

salma hayek
    meaning: salma hayek
    Usage: When talking about a non-strutter, and that person shows up on soulstrut.
    Origin: The hope that talking about salma hayek would would cause her to appear.

Raer
    meaning: rare record, or just record
    Usage: No, no raers in San Diego.
    Origin: The greatest frenchman ever, Le-Toupt. From the french root breakbeatfastandraer.

rackord
    meaning: record
    Origin: fuck if I know. I say it all the time and don't know why.

Never that, son
    meaning: that would never happen
    Usage: "TheCrates get herbed? Never that, son."
    Origin: TheCrates getting herbed.

Pasue
    meaning: pause
    Usage: "Pasue".
    Origin: Guzzo can't spell.

Plaese
    meaning: please
    usage: "Can you tell me the breakbeatfastandraer of DJ Leacy plaese?"
    origin: LeToupt the Frenchman

Take That Shit To TheBreaks.com
    meaning: take that shit to thebreaks.com
    usage: "take that shit to thebreaks.com"
    origin: people asking about samples every other thread

Holy Grail (gremlin)
    meaning: Your holy grail record and/or a record that doesn't actually exist
    origin: The fabled Biz Markie Mardis Gras without the bells found in a CTI suitcase.

The Mack (gremlin)
    meaning: too hard to explain
    usage: to hard to explain, goes will with argyle or taco bell and guns and fake doo-rags.
    origin: TheMack, a soulstrut legend.

I'd blap
    meaning: I'd Tap
    Usage: A short way of saying "I would not be opposed to having sexual intercourse with that person".
    origin: I'm almost positive that was TheMack combined with E40.

I'm sure there are a lot more. most of mine are rather old school, methinks, but i can't keep up with new slang.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Pasue
    Origin: Guzzo Young Phonics aka King Moist[/b] can't spell.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Pasue
    Origin: Guzzo Young Phonics aka King Moist[/b] can't spell.

oops, I got confused because really, guzzo can't spell.

• "tono bungay"

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    In the wide world of human linguistics I'm surprised that all you could come up with is soulstrut.

ouch.

• I'd blap
    meaning: I'd Tap
    Usage: A short way of saying "I would not be opposed to having sexual intercourse with that person".
    origin: I'm almost positive that was TheMack combined with E40.

Caution: unlike all other strut slang, this phrase may not be recontextualized or have any other then total literal meaning, or someone will call CinisterCee a rookie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Y'all sound white.