Cocaine Cowboys

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I couldn't wait for this thing to come out last Tuesday on DVD. I woke up first thing in the morning and hit up best buy for them not to know wtf I was talking about! Figures.......I hit up 6 other loacl spots and no one had orderd this to stock in the store. Only in Seattle I swear!!!! Anyway I ordered from Amazon and it was in my mailbox today. I hadn't checked it in a few days so who knows when it was in there. I immediately watched it of course. Anyone cop this or see it? Typical same old story somewhat interesting though.

Comments

• The subject was new to me, but I dug it. It's split into a few portions: the good old days when cocaine was easy to import, the "cocaine cowboys" days, and the last chunk of the film is taken up by the mafia and the downturn. Worth it just for the stories!

• That shit was incredible hommie! I might still have it on my computer if you can't find it. Hollar at your mans.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Someone had posted the whole docu here on SS. It was about a month ago I think, the link might still be up in the archives somewhere. I deleted it after I burned it to DVD.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Great documentary. The real-life version of Scarface, more or less.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    Saw it when the link was posted here, definetly worth seeing! Jan Hammer soundtrack makes for a nice 80's miami viceish experience!

Does the DVD have any extras that make it worth acquiring?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I found the subject matter interesting, but the documentary was pretty badly made.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i thought it was great.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Does the DVD have any extras that make it worth acquiring?

I sure hope so. There was a rumour that the uncut interviews would be included.

• I found the subject matter interesting, but the documentary was pretty badly made.

seriously? how good do you expect a documentary to be? shot with a $30,000-a-day panavision with 8 million worth of special effects?

This is one of the better made documentaries I've seen. I am going to get the DVD, I'm hoping for extras. I was the one who originally posted about this, torrents should still be floating around for it if anybody is inclined to download and peep before they buy.

By the way, our worst fears have been realized as there is a horrible mixtape out called cocaine cowboys with Rick Ross. I am actually a Ross fan (haters fall back) but this mix was pure trash. I did not need to hear mediocre rappers re-enacting the story line to this documentary. That chick who does the Griselda Blanco rap needs to take her mouth off.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I found the subject matter interesting, but the documentary was pretty badly made.

seriously? how good do you expect a documentary to be? shot with a $30,000-a-day panavision with 8 million worth of special effects?

This is one of the better made documentaries I've seen.

You seriously need to see some better documentaries then.
    I've seen some beautifully shot docs, that were made on relativly low budgets.
    Its been a while since I watched this but I remember it looking like your standard tv documentary, but it was the editing and background music that were especially bad.

• uncut interviews

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I didn't know what this thread was about, but when I saw the title I thought the subject matter was going to be about:

• I found the subject matter interesting, but the documentary was pretty badly made.

This is one of the better made documentaries I've seen.

You seriously need to see some better documentaries then.
    I've seen some beautifully shot docs, that were made on relativly low budgets.
    Its been a while since I watched this but I remember it looking like your standard tv documentary, but it was the editing and background music that were especially bad.

well, you're the only person out of everybody I have interracted with who's seen this and had something negative to say about how it was put together. i guess somebody was bound to dislike it. to each his/her own.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm bumping this because I finally got a late pass and saw this, and, well...the stories those dudes tell are

Mickey Munday = that rill shit. Capitalist dream right there.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm bumping this because I finally got a late pass and saw this, and, well...the stories those dudes tell are

Mickey Munday = that rill shit. Capitalist dream right there.

I'm waiting on any info what so ever on the Mr. Untouchable documentary they had a preview for on the DVD.

• shit was dope. i copped it last month or so. i read the book kings of cocaine in 95, this is basically that book on film.