Question About NYC (VNRR)

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There are no suburbs in NYC

Riverdale

Actually Riverdale, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Yonkers, etc are all known as the inner ring suburbs.

Also Batmon, why would they call your area Morris Park? Morris Park is at the end of the 6 line?! Doesn't make sense.

Riverdale is in the Bx, Mt Vernon, NewRo, and Yonkers are suburbs...

Riverdale is within The Bronx,but the residents have historically viewed themselved as separate from The Bronx.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Riverdale

Actually Riverdale, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Yonkers, etc are all known as the inner ring suburbs.

Only Riverdale is within NYC, though; the rest fit comfortably within the accepted definition of a suburb.

Riverdale

Also Batmon, why would they call your area Morris Park? Morris Park is at the end of the 6 line?! Doesn't make sense.

They show the Stadium and then show my local park w/ the words Morris Park. Maybe I read it wrong.
    Maybe they just showed they stadium for watchers to know theyre in The Bronx and then cut to a park uptown from me which i mistakened for my hood. I remember being .

Once Harlem gets to be majority caucasoid theyre gonna inset that extra A. HAARLEM

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Once Harlem gets to be majority caucasoid theyre gonna inset that extra A. HAARLEM

Haha... actually some white people in Spanish Harlem will try to say they live on the Upper East Side.

Then I know Black folks that live in Washington Heights who try to say they live in Harlem.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Sounds like the same kind of people who live in Bushwick but refer to it as East Williamsburg.

Haha... actually some white people in Spanish Harlem will try to say they live on the Upper East Side.

Then I know Black folks that live in Washington Heights who try to say they live in Harlem.

No doubt. Spanish Harlem is on its last legs. Its gonna be like Little Italy - one block.

• I can't watch youtube at work but here's some info from Lloyd Ultan's "Encyclopedia of New York City"
    "Morris Park in the Bronx is a residential, working class Italian-American neighborhood. It is the site of both Jacobi Medical Center and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. It is known among New Yorkers for its pizza, arguably having some of the best pizza in the five boroughs. It has a few excellent restaurants and bakeries.

Morris Park's boundaries are Pelham Parkway to the north, the shared Metro-North/Amtrak railroad tracks to the east and south and the Bronx River to the west, taking in the smaller neighborhoods of Van Nest and Indian Village. While Indian Village is relatively affluent, Van Nest, on the opposite corner of Morris Park, is the lower end of the income strata, bordering West Farms/East Tremont section of the South Bronx. The neighborhood is served by the Morris Park station on the IRT Dyre Avenue Line (5) and the Bx8 and Bx21 local bus lines, as well as the BxM10 Express Bus to Manhattan."

• Uhm... Morris Park isn't at the end of the 6 line.

That's Pelham...

I always thought that Batmon's neighborhood was called Morrisania but that may be further up, towards the 180s.

• There are no suburbs in NYC

Riverdale

Only Riverdale is within NYC, though; the rest fit comfortably within the accepted definition of a suburb.

I recently bought a coop in riverdale (spuyten duyvil actually), but have yet to run into Archie & Jughead or the Corleone house.
    Yes it's not technically a suburb because it is within NYC borders, but visually it does have the whole "houses with yards and driveways" thing going on. Although if that makes a suburb, than Forest Hills and Bayside in Queens and I'm sure many other places would also have to be included. I guess Riverdale does have the edge that the residents are in denial of the fact that they're in the Bronx.

But in general, when people refer to "suburbs of NYC" they mean Jersey, Long Island, Rockland County, Westchester, and Connecticut.

Some people like to include Philly and Boston

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Riverdale

Riverdale is in the Bx, Mt Vernon, NewRo, and Yonkers are suburbs...

Riverdale is within The Bronx,but the residents have historically viewed themselved as separate from The Bronx.
    No question, just saying technically, one of these places is not like the others.

But in general, when people refer to "suburbs of NYC" they mean Jersey, Long Island, Rockland County, Westchester, and Connecticut. Some people like to include Philly and Boston

True.

Yonkers & New Ro are the 'burbs. And to real heads any thing north of Fordham Road is the 'burbs.

• Uhm... Morris Park isn't at the end of the 6 line.

That's Pelham...

I always thought that Batmon's neighborhood was called Morrisania but that may be further up, towards the 180s.

I stand corrected, Morris Park is a stop on the 5 train.

I also think you're right about Morrisania, at least that's what the hospital around there is called.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Hi, can't we all just get along?

They filmed in Mullay's Park. You know Garcia Vega where the skateboard park and public pool is. Across the street from where they're building the new Stadium. Mo fuckas are doofy.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

They filmed in Mullay's Park. You know Garcia Vega where the skateboard park and public pool is. Across the street from where they're building the new Stadium. Mo fuckas are doofy.

i used to skateboard in Mullaly Park. until holes began appearing in the ramps. i heard theyre gonna turn that whole area into new parking lots for the new Yankee Stadium

any truth?

i used to skateboard in Mullaly Park. until holes began appearing in the ramps. i heard theyre gonna turn that whole area into new parking lots for the new Yankee Stadium

any truth?

On June 15, 2005, the Yankees announced their plans for a new 50,800-54,000 seat stadium, with a planned completion in 2009. Approval from the state legislature and the city council is necessary. The state would contribute about $70 million to increase parking from 7,000 spaces to 11,000, and the city would replace the lost parkland as part of the deal. A new commuter train station and expanded ferry terminal also are part of the plan. There is also a plan to build a high school for sports careers across the street from the new stadium.

We'll see.

any truth?

On June 15, 2005, the Yankees announced their plans for a new 50,800-54,000 seat stadium, with a planned completion in 2009. Approval from the state legislature and the city council is necessary. The state would contribute about $70 million to increase parking from 7,000 spaces to 11,000, and the city would replace the lost parkland as part of the deal. A new commuter train station and expanded ferry terminal also are part of the plan. There is also a plan to build a high school for sports careers across the street from the new stadium.

We'll see.

ahhh ok. so there goes the park. i heard that they were going to change the old stadium into a Little League field. that would be amazing seeing as kids could play on the same field their idols played on. i think.....

ahhh ok. so there goes the park. i heard that they were going to change the old stadium into a Little League field. that would be amazing seeing as kids could play on the same field their idols played on. i think.....

Yeah, but kids in the neighborhood dont play baseball/softball anymore. So I dont know who theyre targeting. Suburban/North Bronx kids? Dominician kids across the water in Washington Heights?
    Its a cool idea but not realistic. Kids are not trying to be Derek Jeter around here.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Yeah, but kids in the neighborhood dont play baseball/softball anymore. So I dont know who theyre targeting. Suburban/North Bronx kids? Dominician kids across the water in Washington Heights?
    Its a cool idea but not realistic. Kids are not trying to be Derek Jeter around here.

It's all BOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUSBOGUS

I tell ya! Why do people fall for it?! Same shit with Atl Yards.

Washington Heights kids. but when that neighborhood turns into all white people, theyll turn the park into a dogwalking park.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Washington Heights kids. but when that neighborhood turns into all white people, theyll turn the park into a dogwalking park.

Don't forget all the 4'10 Mexicans who have taken to basketball like it's going out of style

Hahaha. So far most of the gentrification is in the industrial southern part - Mott Haven.

Hahaha. So far most of the gentrification is in the industrial southern part - Mott Haven.

well i actually meant the gentrification of the Heights. i used to have a friend on 162nd and Ft. Washington and they would close the streets down to non-residents because of the drug traffic. i was there about a month ago and witnessed so many white people it reminded me of Brooklyn in a way.....

but yea. i saw an advertisement for lofts in the South Bronx. they were described as up and coming "artist" lofts a short distance from NYC.

watch yo pastels sonnnnn

• I used to think that if a town is outside of the city, but still gets New York radio and tv stations, then it's an NY suburb.

It would be strange, though, to call a place like Paterson a suburb.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the Bronx was all originally part of Westchester so that could be why certain neigborhoods consider themselves to be "suburbs." However, when it comes time for property tax assessments I'm sure they are all willing to admit they are part of the Bronx.

the Bronx was all originally part of Westchester so that could be why certain neigborhoods consider themselves to be "suburbs." However, when it comes time for property tax assessments I'm sure they are all willing to admit they are part of the Bronx.

i hear you on that one. no one wants those Westchester taxes. my uncle pays out the ass in Eastchester.