Question About NYC (VNRR)

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I need to know:How many Suburbs are there in New York City ?I'm assuming for example, that Bushwick, Crown Heights, Sunset Park, Flatbush etc. are all 'Suburbs' of Brooklyn, right ?So there are 5 Boros in NYC, a total of 59 community districts, and how many suburbs ?Grateful if anyone could help.thanks.

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Bushwick, Crown Heights, Sunset Park, Flatbush etc. are all 'neighborhoods' in Brooklyn

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

'neighborhoods' equate to 'suburbs' ? or a different hiearchy ?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

'neighborhoods' equate to 'suburbs' ? or a different hiearchy ?

"Suburb" generally refers to a smaller community within commuting distance of a city; it's not a subunit of a city.

There are no suburbs in NYC, and "neighborhood" is such an arbitrary unit (there are neighborhoods within neighborhoods--often it's just a real estate marketing tag), that you could never get a tally that everyone would agree upon.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    great.

thank you!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    what's going on?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    got a project that needs profiles of world cities, NYC and a number of others.

strictly research base, no other intentions.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    (there are neighborhoods within neighborhoods--often it's just a real estate marketing tag), that you could never get a tally that everyone would agree upon.
    this is very true! alot of the new "neighborhood" names DUMBO (down under the manhattan bridge overpass) bococa (boerum hill, cobble hill and carrol gardens mixed...i hate this one!) etc. are being created for real estate reasons.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    thats interesting to know.

do developters tend to have large scale residential/ commercial park developments are create their own neightborhood names ?

by the way, while we're at it, grateful if anyone could also tell me the biggest developer in New York City ?

Could it be the TRUMP Corporation ?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i jacked this straight from wikipedia:
    "The names of places in New York City change, either due to the influence of land developers, the City government, or because a name no longer suits a neighborhood's character. A name never changes, though, unless the residents of the city collectively adopt it, which usually takes years and is an informal process whereby most people begin to refer to an area by its new name. A recent new name that took root is "DUMBO", whereas referring to Hell's Kitchen as "Clinton" has largely been eschewed. Similarly, New York residents rarely refer to Sixth Avenue as Avenue of the Americas. A new neighborhood name may be controversial, as may be its perceived boundaries. Until the 1990s, the western portion of neighborhood was known as Fulton Landing, after the water ferry stop that connected the neighborhood to Manhattan before the Brooklyn Bridge opened."

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    thank you for that!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i like Soho (SouthOfHOuston)

and i heard Tribeca stands for Triangle BEtween Canal and ??

fucking weirdos

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    thats crazy!

well SOHO out here in HK stands for South Of HOllywood Road (a bar/ club/ dining area)

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    hahaha...
    nolita= north of little italy
    noho= north of houston

i remember real estate cats in boston tried doing shit like :
    sobo= south boston
    the townies were not having it!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i love SPAHA - spanish harlem for white people moving into the area and not knowing

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Soha = South of Harlem

::gag::

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    SoBro = South Bronx. Makes me think of Soul Glo.

I don't know why anyone would try to replace Hell's Kitchen with generic sounding Clinton but I'm happy it hasn't stuck.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

and i heard Tribeca stands for

Triangle Below Canal....

But seriously, does anyone really say SPAHA, Soha, bococa or even Clinton???

Also, non new yorkers, please dont say Houston, as in the city in Texas where Scarface is from. This is a dead giveaway of those new to NYC, the correct pronunciation is House-Ton.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

and i heard Tribeca stands for

Triangle Below Canal....

Also, non new yorkers, please dont say Houston, as in the city in Texas where Scarface is from. This is a dead giveaway of those new to NYC, the correct pronunciation is House-Ton.

indeed

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    thats interesting to know.

do developters tend to have large scale residential/ commercial park developments are create their own neightborhood names ?

by the way, while we're at it, grateful if anyone could also tell me the biggest developer in New York City ?

there was an interesting article in the NY Times the other day about gated communities in Brooklyn and Queens... the only one i've seen is Seagate near Coney Island...

• thats interesting to know.

there was an interesting article in the NY Times the other day about gated communities in Brooklyn and Queens... the only one i've seen is Seagate near Coney Island...

Seagate is an old neighborhood. Don't know when they went gated exactly but it's not a new development

My GPS says "Hewston" (like the city). Although I don't use it within the city, it's always funny when I'm driving out of the city... "take a right on Hewston"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SoBro = South Bronx.

BAN

• i remember real estate cats in boston tried doing shit like :
    sobo= south boston
    the townies were not having it!

they've since tried:
    EBo= East Boston
    SoWa= Sough of Washington

Obviously, both of these have failed. The first is ridiculous, and the second is too close to So What.

Real Estate people are dumb...

Strictly New Jack speak.

The YO Mama show had this all NYC competition. Whe they get to my neighborhood they say Morris Park.
    No one in my hood says they live in Morris Park GTFOHWTB. We says Yankee Stadium or the Concourse(on/off).

There are no suburbs in NYC

Riverdale

Real Estate people are dumb...

Just the opposite. Gotta sell that property using any gimmick to lure folks.

• thats interesting to know.

SeaGate Day Camp 1987 here. This was once a getaway for the rich. Was there a few times recently. Very eerie spot. Cool light house though.

• Real Estate people are dumb...

Just the opposite. Gotta sell that property using any gimmick to lure folks.

Allow me to rephrase...

Folls who fall for these gimmicks are dumb.

• There are no suburbs in NYC

Riverdale

Actually Riverdale, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Yonkers, etc are all known as the inner ring suburbs.

Also Batmon, why would they call your area Morris Park? Morris Park is at the end of the 6 line?! Doesn't make sense.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    There are no suburbs in NYC

Riverdale

Actually Riverdale, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Yonkers, etc are all known as the inner ring suburbs.

Also Batmon, why would they call your area Morris Park? Morris Park is at the end of the 6 line?! Doesn't make sense.

Riverdale is in the Bx, Mt Vernon, NewRo, and Yonkers are suburbs...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

i swear to god, one of my acquaintances used the term SpaHa to me a few months back. At first i was like 'what the fuck is she talking about'....just ways white people try to get around the fact that they too must live on the fray because the job at mtv just doesn't pay like it used too.

me and my dudes were talking about this last night....trying to see if we can get the term "CroHi" to take off.