Multimedia Projectors and/or TV Strut

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody have a projector? How do they work? Is it a suitable replacement for a TV? My old ass TV (FISHER!) burned out on me and I'll probably be buying a new one soon. I'm trying to see how long I can do without since I rarely watch it. I have a HUGE wall though so I figure a projector may be cool so long as they work with cable, DVD's and shit.Herm

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Hey Herm.

I just got a projector. They're really good for movies but I wouldn't recomend one for casual tv watching.
    The len has a finite life, and is very expensive to replace, as do some of the chips.
    When you purchase one, they'll tell you just how many hours playing time, your lens is expected to have, usually around 2/3000 hours.
    Plus, although projectors now work quite well in daylight, they're still better in the dark.

With all that though I love my new projector. Plus you can also plug in your playstion/xbox, pc, hdtv etc.

It can't really replace a tv. But if you're not a heavy tv watcher, maybe thats not so much of a problem. I have a shitty tv that I was given, because it has minor things wrong with it, which i use when I just want to veg, or watch the news etc.

If you're still interested I can tell you a bit more about the technical issues/chioces. Let me know.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Yo mayne.

I bought one of these for xmas:

Its a HP MP3800 DLP. Hooked it up for about ??200 on the bay.

I run mine off my PC onto a roll down projector screen.

They are good for movies and stuff, but they have limited lamp life of around 3000 hours. Plus lamps are like half the price of the projector, so you need to weigh up the pros and cons really.

It wouldn't be cost effective for watching every day TV, but there are probably more products on the market for long-term every day reliable use.

Audiophiles might not dig it cause the sound of the projector fan is all up in yo bidness, but its not really loud, just noticable from time-to-time during those quiet movie moments.

I love it though.. I can watch all my fave movies cinema-stylie, but a cinema at my house, on a bed with my girly and a bowl of mixed pop corn.

• I got this for $600, this site is offering it for the same but with a $200 rebate, this is the best deal i've seen on any projector:

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=568807

It works well in the light, and you can use it to watch TV but as previously stated, the bulb has a life and is about $300-500 to replace, but even with heavy TV watching (4 hours a day or more), it's still bound to last a year and a half or two years. For what you get, I think it's totally worth it whether you watch a lot of TV or not. Video games, sports, movies, it's all good on this thing. Easy to hook up. This one is even designed ot be a tabletop/coffee table type joint, although I installed a shelf high on the wall and set it on that. You can also do the ceiling mount thing if you really wanna g up. Not reccomended in a rental though. You will need some kind of stereo system hooked up for your sound though, so hopefully you already have your living room set up for that.

I'm happy with this, although I do want an HDTV as well. Those are still too expensive though.

Just read as many reviews as you can on sites like circuit city or whatever for projectors. User reviews can be really helpful in determining which one is right for you.

ps - on this one, the fan noise is really quiet, i don't notice it at all.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I got this for $600, this site is offering it for the same but with a $200 rebate, this is the best deal i've seen on any projector:

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=568807

It works well in the light, and you can use it to watch TV but as previously stated, the bulb has a life and is about $300-500 to replace, but even with heavy TV watching (4 hours a day or more), it's still bound to last a year and a half or two years. For what you get, I think it's totally worth it whether you watch a lot of TV or not. Video games, sports, movies, it's all good on this thing. Easy to hook up. This one is even designed ot be a tabletop/coffee table type joint, although I installed a shelf high on the wall and set it on that. You can also do the ceiling mount thing if you really wanna g up. Not reccomended in a rental though. You will need some kind of stereo system hooked up for your sound though, so hopefully you already have your living room set up for that.

I'm happy with this, although I do want an HDTV as well. Those are still too expensive though.

Just read as many reviews as you can on sites like circuit city or whatever for projectors. User reviews can be really helpful in determining which one is right for you.

ps - on this one, the fan noise is really quiet, i don't notice it at all.

I'ma look into this one. Thanks for the help, hoLmeses!!!

Herm