The Rub + other things to do in NYC next weekend

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I'm visiting NYC next weekend for the first time in probably 8 years. I told wifey If there was some good DJays i'd want to go out dancing at least once. I see that The Rub will be going down Saturday and wifey isn't too sure until i say, "it's the DJ who made those Love Break CDs" and she's like.."Oh..you mean COSMO BAKER!" I didn't even know she knew DJ names like that.I also want to check the UN's lunch buffet. I read they have cuisines from all the countries...buffet style, how could that not be good? If there is anythign else going on, free/cheap would be nice, please post it here. Also please post your "best pizza' and "best Chinese food" spots cuase i like pizza and Chinese food.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Saying.

But really, next week's Rub is going to be out of control. Minds are going to be blown.

• sweet, i'm ready for my mind to be blown. I like how you NYC cats party till 4 here in ohio we gotta cut it off at 2:00 AM, which means 1:45 at most spots.

now that i got my dancing covered is anyone gonna let me know about the Chinese/Pizza spots. I'm also looking for a place to get good bagles. Maybe i don't need to ask the strut for bagles though, becuase i am visiting for my lil cousins bar mitzva and my peoples know where the good bagles are at. I think i'll be headed to the rub straight from the bar mitza so i'll be liqured up and dressed all fancy, hopefully i can find my 'children of the world' tie.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Chinese

Paging Aser...

Pizza

DiFara's

I'm also looking for a place to get good bagles.

Ayres took me to this place in Park Slope that was great. I can't remember the name, but a good bagel should be the easiest thing to find in NY.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Lombardi's is good pizza. It's on Spring and Mullberry (or maybe Mott, whichever is more Easterly).

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    where you staying?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the big bagel spot in ny is h&h, but I highly recommend you check out Kossar's bialy for that authentic ny'ness.

Chinese food is rather meh in manhattan, for the realness you have to head up to Flushing, Queens. Not sure if you're ready for the trek on a short stay. However, it would help if you can pinpoint the type of Chinese food you enjoy. Dim sum? Shanghai dumplings, Sichuan, etc, etc. Queens also holds it down for Korean (also Flushing) and Indian (Jackson Heights) food. If interested, do a search on chowhound.

Pizza by far it's difara's (Sicilian sq pie), w/ totono's (Coney Island), patsy's, grimaldi's and lombardi's (tourist trap, but still decent) bringing up the rear.

MAW!!!

www.sliceny.com

• Queens also holds it down for Korean (also Flushing), Indian (Jackson Heights), Thai (Woodside - Sripraphai), Mexican (Sunnyside - De Mole), Indonesian (Elmhurst - Upi Jaya) and a lot of other food[/b]. If interested, do a search on chowhound.

• where you staying?

i'll be staying brooklyn

as for type of Chinese food, i enjoy Dim sum but I'm mostly into that american-chinese style General Tso's and all that.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i'll be staying brooklyn

where in brooklyn?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Saying.

But really, next week's Rub is going to be out of control. Minds are going to be blown.

man i really want to go to this, but my girlfriend's friend doesn't want to go.

• i'll be staying brooklyn

where in brooklyn?

on someones couch....really i'm not quite sure about the details

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

man i really want to go to this. my ex[/b]-girlfriend doesn't want to go.

• I'll be in NYC this Thursday - most likely checking out BBC desi DJ Bobby Friction at Tribeca that night. Click this link to get in for free and anybody holler at me if you wanna get down urban-bhangra style:

http://newyork.heyletsgo.com/frictionny

Then Friday night I'll be spinning some 60s-70s tunes at Beauty Bar which is usually rife with hot boys and girls of all ages and persuasions:

Cosmo & Urrs - probably won't be able to make it out to The Rub this weekend doggies; my company this weekend won't be too "blazing hiphop & r'n'b"-friendly. And though ya'll are cute as buttons, my companions are just a tad bit prettier. But I'll holler to see if ya'll are around sometime Thursday or Friday afternoons - we should get a beer or falafel or whatnot.

Jonny - you'll see me don't worry. I'll be wearing the beer bong.

Ari - that loft party turned into a "strictly friends only" affair but I got you behind the velveeta rope dude