Kenny Sargent ('30s crooner)

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Is anyone here knowledgable on big band era recordings?Kenny Sargent was a singer/clarinetist/saxophonist who worked with Glen Gray & the Casa Loma Orchestra. Of all the 78s, LP "best of" era collections and CDs I've found by the Casa Loma Orchestra, Sargent only sang on a handful of tunes. I am interested in learning anything more about him beyond the standard two sentence blurb about his life you found everywhere:Kenny Sargent was the band's primary vocalist as well as a sax player. He left the band in the 1940s to begin a career as a disc jockey. In the 1950s and 1960s, he was a prominent Dallas area radio personality on stations KLIF and WRR.I remember reading (some time in the late '80s?) an interview with Alan Parker, the director of Angel Heart, that spoke of Sargent's past. The Casa Loma tune, "Girl of My Dreams," was used as the film's theme, repeated in different variations throughout the entire film. Parker said he chose Sargent's song because Sargent had a life similar to the main character of the film, Johnny Favorite. That is, striking a deal for fame, changing your name, starting over, abandoning those you know, getting famous, and then... payback.At some point--one of the first times I used an Internet search engine--I figured out Sargent's former identity, but that bookmark was lost long ago.If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Although, I imagine this thread will turn into a lengthy discussion about Lisa Bonet's bapability and that scene where she's fucked in a puddle of blood by her father before getting shot--as they say in the film--"in the snatch." So be it.