Film noir fans, holla

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I'm teaching a course on class, race, gender and popular culture this semester and wanted to include at least one class talking about film noir and its intersection with any number of social currents running through post-WWII America: the Cold War, Communist paranoia, the budding sexual revolution, etc. The question becomes: what film BEST encapsulates this mix of anxieties? Here's a few of the classic noir titles I'm toying with (* = movies I've actually seen):The Third Man*Double Indemnity*Manchurian Candidate*Maltese FalconTouch of EvilGildaI'm also open to some more neo-noir films:Chinatown*LA Confidential*The Last Seduction*I'd prefer to go with classic noir, if only to reflect the cultural product of that era but I have to say: I wasn't really in love with any of the films I had seen already though, of the trio, I'd lean most closely to going with either "The Third Man" or, more likely, "Manchurian Candidate". Of the neo-noir films, I'd most definitely put "Chinatown" ahead of the pack if only because I could spin a good lecture about the LA history that's nodded to in there. However, I know some of you have seen a lot more noir than I have and wanted to see if there's anything else I should consider? The challenge is that I ideally want something that really highlights the larger social context in which noir emerges but also is "watchable" for the sake of student interest. Any suggestions?

Comments

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    how about this?

• dude, odub. you gotta show Crimson Kimono by sam fuller. takes place in lil tokyo and fuller is famous for subversively inserting social commentary in his flicks. also check for shock corridor, pickup on south street, the steel helmet. fuck he has so many that deal in exactly what u are looking for. some of them may not be noir, but a good jumping pt. for your discussions.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Since you deal w/ Race/Class/Gender you can blend at all with.......

Besides the issues addressed in Noir you have to take heed to cinematography/direction styles.

peep this too....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'd prefer to stick to an American film if only b/c I'm focusing on specifically American social tensions in the post WWII era.

dude, odub. you gotta show Crimson Kimono by sam fuller. takes place in lil tokyo and fuller is famous for subversively inserting social commentary in his flicks. also check for shock corridor, pickup on south street, the steel helmet. fuck he has so many that deal in exactly what u are looking for. some of them may not be noir, but a good jumping pt. for your discussions.

Yeah but the movie was just average in my book, much as I love my man Jimmy Shigeta.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    if you dig noir, you need to get on karagarga, son

• The Killing

Great movie, and it's Kubrick, so you've got plenty to work with.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I'm teaching a course on class, race, gender and popular culture this semester and wanted to include at least one class talking about film noir and its intersection with any number of social currents running through post-WWII America: the Cold War, Communist paranoia, the budding sexual revolution, etc.

The question becomes: what film BEST encapsulates this mix of anxieties?

Here's a few of the classic noir titles I'm toying with (* = movies I've actually seen):

The Third Man*
    Double Indemnity*
    Manchurian Candidate*
    Maltese Falcon
    Touch of Evil
    Gilda

I'm also open to some more neo-noir films:
    Chinatown*
    LA Confidential*
    The Last Seduction*

I'd prefer to go with classic noir, if only to reflect the cultural product of that era but I have to say: I wasn't really in love with any of the films I had seen already though, of the trio, I'd lean most closely to going with either "The Third Man" or, more likely, "Manchurian Candidate". Of the neo-noir films, I'd most definitely put "Chinatown" ahead of the pack if only because I could spin a good lecture about the LA history that's nodded to in there.

However, I know some of you have seen a lot more noir than I have and wanted to see if there's anything else I should consider? The challenge is that I ideally want something that really highlights the larger social context in which noir emerges but also is "watchable" for the sake of student interest.

Any suggestions?

that's sounds cool oliver. i would love to take a class like this. too bad you don't live in the bay anymore because the best noir fest (Noir City) starts this friday.

i like The Third Man and Touch of Evil for what you listed.

some other titles you should check out:
    DOA
    The Killers (the one with Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner)

here's the big film noir thread. i'm sure SoulonIce can drop some knowledge in this department for you

Batmon,

Thanks for the book recommendation - I'll definitely check it out.

"Devil in a Blue Dress" is a solid choice for neo-noir though I'm still not sure I'm going to go in that direction. If I did, I'd sooner go with "LA Confidential" just b/c I like that film better (even though Don Cheadle was great in DIABD).

• dude, odub. you gotta show Crimson Kimono by sam fuller. takes place in lil tokyo and fuller is famous for subversively inserting social commentary in his flicks. also check for shock corridor, pickup on south street, the steel helmet. fuck he has so many that deal in exactly what u are looking for. some of them may not be noir, but a good jumping pt. for your discussions.

Yeah but the movie was just average in my book, much as I love my man Jimmy Shigeta.

youve seen shock corridor? hardly average.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    waltz into darkness

dude, odub. you gotta show Crimson Kimono by sam fuller. takes place in lil tokyo and fuller is famous for subversively inserting social commentary in his flicks. also check for shock corridor, pickup on south street, the steel helmet. fuck he has so many that deal in exactly what u are looking for. some of them may not be noir, but a good jumping pt. for your discussions.

youve seen shock corridor? hardly average.

I was talking about "Crimson Kimono." I haven't seen "Shock Corridor."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Almost anything with Barbara Stanwyck as she played a lot of ???independent woman/tough as nails??? roles. Sweet Smell of Success and Night of the Hunter are musts. Not sure if you are interested in film-noir westerns at all, but I just saw 'My Darling Clementine' (don???t be turned off by the title) and it is fantastic ??? one of the most beautiful looking B&W films I???ve seen - good story, too.

film-noir westerns

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

some other titles you should check out:
    DOA
    The Killers (the one with Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner)

Yeah, DOA is the first one I thought of as well. Another suggestion would be Sunset Blvd.[/b] which is one of the more meta Noir films in that its plot is about the film industry and that it deals with change. Plus it has a dead narrator.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Kiss Me Deadly and Pickup on South St. are good for the communist paranoia angle, particularly the latter for having a character who is unmotivated by the war secrets and is motivated by his own skewed code of honor. (He only ends up doing "the right thing" because the flawed heroine risks her life for him -- doesn't care about the commie angle). Fuller's The Naked Kiss might work for the sexual revolution.

Double Indemnity, Laura, and Out of the Past for just canonical picks that help define the style.

• first off, i gotta mention citizen kane. i know everyone's prolly seent it, but as chiarascuro goes, it is prolly one of the most important out of the bunch.

second, as far as college courses go, i mean, there will always be a general overview of noir films in relation to post wwii america. to me, it seems somewhat played out and irrelevant. especially in light of films from as current as the early to mid 90s and their social implications. and im not talking about neo-noir. i mean, im not a professor or nothing, but there was a pretty noticable trend among women filmmakers making films about the male fatale, if you will. and that trend stretches into current cinema. a good hard look at that would not only be more relevant, but prolly more interesting.

• Oliver-

You have to see Orson Welles' Lady From Shanghai, classic noir. Definately some juicy stuff in there as far as gender and ethnic identity is concerned.

The real deal, however, is Shanghai Gesture; its early noir, but there's some priceless characters, most notably the infamous "Mother Gin Sling", played by Ona Munson. You could pick this movie apart for days.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Kiss Me Deadly and Pickup on South St. are good for the communist paranoia angle

Yeah, this was what I was planning to post but was beat
    to it - the titles you listed, while most are considered
    classics of the genre, don't really fit the paranoia you
    were looking for in your initial post. These two are probably
    the best combination of Cold War paranoia and hardboiled
    atmospherics. "Phantom Lady" is a great noir that touches
    on elements of male dominance and the loss of a certain masculine
    mystique in post-war America, as well.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    When I do the post-war period in my CA Studies class my kids read Devil In A Blue Dress and then I show the movie back-to-back with LA Confidential.

They have similar themes about post-war women and corruption in the big cities, the way I see it. Race is in both, but plays a much larger role in Devil.

The comparison I try to stress at the end is that Devil shows an LA that would rather ignore its problems and sweep them under the rug, while LA Confidential (even though they re-write history about the corrupt cops at the end to preserve the image of LA) still has a more uplifting finale and leaves the impression that LA could in fact solve its problems.

There's also a great comparison of the female characters and post-war gender roles. After WWII, CA and America in general launched a huge campaign to move women out of the work-force and war jobs and back to traditional domestic roles leaving many women with few ways to advance themselves. In Devil Daphne not only wants to pass as white, but marry a rich white man so that she can move up, while in LA Confidential Kim Bassinger's character had come to LA for the CA Dream as an actress, and ended up as a prostitute instead. At the end, Daphne can neither marry her rich boyfriend, nor stand the fact that some people have found out that she's part black and left town. Hence, she's being punished for trying to cross the class/race/gender line. In LA Confidential however, Bassinger is redeemed by Bud White (Crowe) and finds a happy domestic ending going back to Arizona where she will presumably marry White and become a housewife with kids thus returning to the traditional role women were suppose to embrace again after the war.

Devil also has all kinds of great little hints about the changes for blacks in LA and CA after the war. Easy lives in a middle class black neighborhood where he owns his own car and house that he got from the GI Bill after the war. He like the rest of the residents are all recent immigrants to CA from the South in what was called the 2nd Great Migration of blacks in the U.S. There's also the tree cutter in the neibhborhood who I interpreted as trying to cut down the dreams of the black residents. There are black families leaving CA to go back to the South because CA is too expensive and different. Easy lost his job at the aircraft plant just like many blacks were the first fired along with women after the war, etc. etc.

Neither story deals with the Cold War however.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I love love love Night of the Hunter, but wonder if the moralistic, (dark) fairy tale vibe clashes with what O-Dub listed he was going for in the initial post.

Also on the post-war tip, The Blue Dahlia (1946) starring
    Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake touches on some interesting issues
    regarding returning GI's - Ladd comes home from the war to find
    his wife has been partying and running around with a nightclub crowd...
    she's hosting a big bash in their apartment when he unexpectedly arrives,
    and finds her in the arms of a nightclub sharpie, and learns their
    young son was killed by her reckless drunk driving.
    Also, his friend and fellow GI is suspected of being a murderer,
    based on his post-combat stress episodes, usually set off by hearing
    jazz music, which causes him to freak out and yell about "monkey music"
    in fact, his character was SUPPOSED to turn out to be the killer, based
    on his rages, but the War Department actually made them change the
    ending so that this (very real) problem wouldn't come off as so
    dangerous or legitimate.

• i was just thinking, rambo: first blood, fits the mold in terms of post war society and paranoia. i mean, really, the first rambo was much darker in tone than the later rambos. not that i dont like the whole series. but anyways, yeah, rambo.

There's also the tree cutter in the neibhborhood who I interpreted as trying to cut down the dreams of the black residents.

Yes. Director Carl Franklin's commentary states the Tree Cutter's symbolism.

i was just thinking, rambo: first blood, fits the mold in terms of post war society and paranoia. i mean, really, the first rambo was much darker in tone than the later rambos. not that i dont like the whole series. but anyways, yeah, rambo.

I would tend to bunch First Blood w/ all the Post-Vietnam movies.

Oh Lord, how could I forget - the perfect film
    for this subject, Edward Dmytryk's Crossfire(1947),
    with a plot involving 3 soldiers just returned from the
    war, and a murder that exposes anti-semitism among the
    very men credited with having "liberated" the Jews of
    Europe. Fascinating film, and a true Noir, with all the
    photography, dialogue and character actors that make a
    film a "Film Noir."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I can???t say I found Night of the Hunter to be very moralistic ??? guess it all depends on one???s morals! I think film noirs are about (personal) nightmares or dark fairy tales in one way or another. A dead father with a criminal past, a secret worth killing two children for, a single mother searching for love and protection, a gun-toting Lillian Gish, a little speech about love and hate and incredible set design. Not a typical film noir as far it not being urban or sexy or set in post-war US (it was made in ???55) and I do think the disillusionment is different from usual noir films; mostly because it is that of children and a fairly innocent woman (in noir terms anyway). I think it touches on those themes Oliver mentioned, just not literally, and I don???t know a better way to describe it.

• yo, all Orson Welles is the shizzz as far as I'm concerned. One lesser-known gem that will always stand out to me is his take on Kafka's "The Trial". Freaked me the fuck out. And yesterday, trying to deal with the utter wackness of bureaucratic UPS, I was reminded of dood in film. Timeless.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Don't know how applicable to the race/gender/class issues this is, but Ulmer's Detour[/b] may be one of the bleakest, depressing, what-could-possibly-go-wrong-next noirs ever committed to film. On that basis alone I suggest everyone see it.

Also, Across The Pacific[/b] reunites the cast and director of the Maltese Falcon set in wartime Pacific. That maybe useful, although I found it fairly routinely pulpy but enjoyable. It stars Bogart as a guy named Rick in an overcoat and fedora right before he shot Casablanca.....hmmmmm.

• Plenty of postwar angst to be found in Joseph Lewis' "Gun Crazy". He also made one of the best noir westerns -"Terror in a Texas Town".

Budd Boetticher's existentialist 50s noirwesterns resonate with the vibe you're looking for.

You also get the strange postwar paranoia vibe from Nicholas Ray's "Bigger Than Life". Cortisone, the new wonder drug, drives James Mason crazy...