Who is your digging arch-nemesis?

igotthatbeatigotthatbeat 263 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
blonde ponytail greasehead...this guy is always at a certain spot as soon as it opens. dude will literally SPRINT into the store and have his boyfriend block the bins as he spazzes out looking for records. The level of paranoia has increased to the point where they will now grip 100+ lp's in an effort make sure and "not miss anything"... Today an employee of the store told me he wouldn't put out the new stock cause some crackhead in a yoga position was checking condition on ray parker jr...

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    All the fuckhead "old school, i know it all, i'm salty and jelous of you, but gotta talk shit because i was born 5 years before you" type cats from around my way...

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    All the fuckhead "old school, i know it all, i'm salty and jelous of you, but gotta talk shit because i was born 5 years before you" type cats from around my way...

axe to grind
    you've just described Johnny Disco aka 21st century music to a T
    what a know it all self assured guido fucktard
    i go head to head against this fucker every week
    fuck him
    thank god he is such a strict grader and doesn't collect for himself -only resale
    then there is this tall bald alien looking fucker who is also clued in to everything and shows up everywhere
    sickboy6
    fuck you too
    i have one key spot left that neither of these clowns are up on
    how long will that last?

• cats who bite my name!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    charlie brown aka ceebee

hes the homie but hes also a much faster walker than i am. see you on sunday cuz.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Tbe guy who brings his son to teach him about the good times, and the kid is a huge Steppenwolf fan.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Everyone

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Nobody. I'm the only person who seems to care about lounge/easy listening records.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Not true

See pic to the left
    ---------------

• blonde ponytail greasehead...

At one time Fatback was my digging arch-nemesis. My and my friend Harry used to see him every Saturday morning at a local thrift store waiting for the doors to open. For a while we lied to him as to where we'd been earlier (the old RFK flea market) until he finally figured us out. We're friends now. I even helped DJ his wedding with another former arch-nemesis, Birdman, who we used to call "e-bay guy." Not sure where we got that from. The other DJ at Fatback's wedding was Secret Chimp who I first met waiting for a church book sale to start.
    I predict you and blonde poytail greasehead will be best friends some day!

• Fatback was my digging arch-nemesis.

Since this dude moved to Richmond the game has changed. The laid back, 'I'll get that raer next time I stop by this goodwill' type of attitude is a thing of the past. Even CTI/Kudu terds get taken with the quickness. His DC demento digging style has set all Richmond record folks on edge. We have all resorted to carrying box cutters and smoking meth in order to be wide awake at the crack of dawn, only to find senior fatback already at the cash register with a shopping cart full of .

• this one meathead, he used always get to the shit about 2 minutes before I did, and just bought shit because someone told him it was heat...but I soon discovered, if it hasnt been in wax poetics, or a buddy of his from the local balzing downtempo instumental Memphis hip hop crew didnt tell him "this is rare, Egon/Dante owns this", he doesnt know about it...he is really clueless about music in general, total poser...DJ Second Hand Taste. But, I was digging in a place where he was recently and he flipped past rill heat and was sweating an overpriced Edwin Birdsong LP or some shit...so, he aint a worry anymore..he is clueless as I have discovered.

But there is one old dealer dude, that if you see him at the estate sale in the AM...turn around and go get breakfast, because dude will grab anything cool or anything that can be flipped..classical, raer mario lanza, soul, disco...no genre goes under his radar...dude can barely fuckin walk but he gets everywhere before anybody else...but he did once sell me a Flirtations "Nothin but a heartache" for 50 cents...he was packing up after a swap and I hit him with a "how much for this one" as it was unpriced and he just glanced at it and said "50 cents"....thats the trick, get them when they have 50 pounds of records in their hands and are trying to do something else...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Nobody. I'm the only person who seems to care about lounge/easy listening records.
    Same here. Most of the stuff I dig for these days is stuff that most collectros don't hunt and I like it that way.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    blonde ponytail greasehead...

At one time Fatback was my digging arch-nemesis. My and my friend Harry used to see him every Saturday morning at a local thrift store waiting for the doors to open. For a while we lied to him as to where we'd been earlier (the old RFK flea market) until he finally figured us out. We're friends now. I even helped DJ his wedding with another former arch-nemesis, Birdman, who we used to call "e-bay guy." Not sure where we got that from. The other DJ at Fatback's wedding was Secret Chimp who I first met waiting for a church book sale to start.

Yeah, I think I was the guy who dropped the whereabouts of RFK flea to ol Fatback. I just assumed he was up on it. Maybe Chimp broke it to him first though, only FB can say for sure. I think I was "eBay guy" because all would get after you all scooped me every Sat was the run off you left behind, which was only good for eBay(which I no longer deal with-for awhile I was hooked), although that was back when people would be bringing stuff out all day long and there were not as many vultures circling at 7am. No offense! Now I swing by once every few months.

The guy I used to dread seeing at the flea or a thrift was Michael Earle, who is now only seen at his store, Memory Lane....he would always scoop me. But we bonded over a copy of The Payback that I found in front of him and would NOT give up. That was years ago.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    johnny disco is not up on private/gospel /hardcore/carribean/latin
    but he knows every disco/ dance single/12 ever made.

I recently gave him a caniption when i pulled a live convention,esg and 7 minutes of funk from a shitty 80s dance crate that i got to right in front of him.

Man, you've got to post that crazy picture of you and Frank with Adolph!!

• i only get worried when i see dealers at the flea markets. but then again they will probably sell me the records anyway. peace, stein. . .

Man, you've got to post that crazy picture of you and Frank with Adolph!!

• Michael Earle, who is now only seen at his store Memory Lane
    When I lived back there Mike sold out of his busted Lincoln on the side of Memory Lane....what happened to Danny C and Paul? They were like the opposite of a digging nemesis.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Michael Earle, who is now only seen at his store Memory Lane
    When I lived back there Mike sold out of his busted Lincoln on the side of Memory Lane....what happened to Danny C and Paul? They were like the opposite of a digging nemesis.

I can ask my DJ pardner Marshall what happened to Paul (how that dude put up with Danny is beyond me), Marshall now runs Memory Lane with Michael in the same strip mall as the OG Memory Lane, just a few doors down. I think Mike still does NYC shows occasonally and Arbutus.

Danny sold off most all of the store as far as I know, but I don't know what happened to Paul. Probably just happy he doesn't have to listen to Rush Limbaugh all day anymore.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Mine used to be my older brother W**l. We'd hit the Fayetteville and NC Triangle area record shops (RIP "The Record Hole" in Chapel Hill), and W**l's hands are quick as lightning. Also, his homeboy C*****s would go with us and he had the eyes of a hawk. He looked like Ramsey Lewis and W**l and I would call him that. Anyway, at Dorton Arena once, diggin' from the older Black dude that sold records in the lobby, I grabbed the S.O.B. self-title jawn and "Investigation No. 1" (Carl "Sherlock" Holmes) quicker than my brother. It was all fun, but the rule was "he who grabbed the record first got to cop it." It could be real cutthroat at times. Then, we go back to W**l's crib and drink Cutty.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

P.S. Marco, DigDug, and other NC strutters, does that dude still sell records at Dorton Arena? Just curious.

• When I was in college, back in Boston, I'd bump into Edan alot. That dude seemed to show up to every store about 5 minutes before me.

• charlie brown aka ceebee

hes the homie but hes also a much faster walker than i am. see you on sunday cuz.

Ahahahhahaha. Yes! Charlie is at once my closest ally in the trenches and at the same time my most omnipresent foil. This guy somehow finds the time to not only run the East Bay but causes havoc in San Francisco and the South Bay too. But my job would be way too easy if it weren't for him.

Honorable mention to Ray Brown (another good guy who is everywhere always).

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I don't know about digging nemesis, I didn't seem to have much contest here for the longest time. My friend Alan seems to have amazing record karma & always gets super lucky on strange stuff, but he pretty much buys to resell & is super good to me, so he's not really a nemesis. My girl will probably say that I'm her nemesis since we have similar tastes & sometimes she is bummed that I am much faster at digging than her, but she gets all my doubles anyways. Maybe times are changing though because the other night I was digging & there were a couple of younger cats after similar stuff that I was, kind of a strange feeling having to be ruthless with what you pick up/put down.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    P.S. Marco, DigDug, and other NC strutters, does that dude still sell records at Dorton Arena? Just curious.

I think I know who you're talking about... older guy who used to play bass with R&B and blues groups?? Would put really sticky price tags with handscrawled condition?

He used to get some incredible stuff, and the prices were insane...

I went there on the regular at one point several years ago. One time I came and he said all records were a dollar, turned out he was closing shop... I can't remember what he said the reason was.

Unfortunately not too long after that I heard that he passed away... he really didn't take care of himself and had problems. Seemed like a nice guy. (He had tens of thousands of records at his mom's house, no idea what happened to them)

BTW, Record Hole was in Raleigh, and the guy who owned it also had problems and died young... and his records were also at his mom's and I have no idea what happened to them. That was all before my time.

I have at least a few digging nemesises, some of whom I've never met... but one of them is Marco

charlie brown aka ceebee

Ahahahhahaha. Yes! Charlie is at once my closest ally in the trenches and at the same time my most omnipresent foil. This guy somehow finds the time to not only run the East Bay but causes havoc in San Francisco and the South Bay too. But my job would be way too easy if it weren't for him.

you also deal with little ricky right?

• A
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

This guy.

Hes everywhere, like Mr. Chau ,its gotten to the point I just buy from him.

• charlie brown aka ceebee

If by "deal with" you mean missing out on great soul 45's because he gets to them first, then yes. Dude is notorious for having various flea market vendors on lock. Don't think I've ever exchanged more than a few words with him though.

charlie brown aka ceebee

If by "deal with" you mean missing out on great soul 45's because he gets to them first, then yes. Dude is notorious for having various flea market vendors on lock. Don't think I've ever exchanged more than a few words with him though.

you better learn to speak mexican so you can get in those boxes before him... he still walking around in the raiders jacket?

• you better learn to speak mexican so you can get in those boxes before him... he still walking around in the raiders jacket?

I'm not even trying to mess with the dude's hustle. He's been going out there for a lot longer than me so I'm at peace with the situation. I still do alright.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    hawaii: "uncle bobby" & john d.

bay area: no one really, maybe ray brown. definitely mike vague when he comes up for shows.