dancefloor fela

13»

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    IF you remembered that it failed, you must be able to remember what you played next to it?

K.

Unfortunately not cos as I said earlier, I don't own a single Fela album so it wouldn't have been me that played any track. In my experience Fela doesn't work in a club environment except for an extended warmup, and then if he is dropped midway through the night, the dancefloors have used it for an excuse of a breather and a trip to the bar. So usually it would be up to me to bring the dancefloor back, which I seem to do fairly easily. So I guess you could say job done to Fela, for providing backdrop music for people to rest to!

I got rid of all my Fela LP's a long time ago and got some nice trades for them - highly overrated, self indulgent music in my opinion, but these things help make the world go round, eh?

im not hating on you , mate. i justcant imagine id be perfectly comfortable around people who could sit still with my hommie fela playing over the speakers.
    maybe it was just out of context with other music being dropped???
    honestly, i grew up with hiphop...and the last ten years really fell hard for funk music...but to me some shit like fela with strong african rhythyms or other stuff like it make a lot of american music sound a little plain in comparison. (im not hating on american music by no means). reminds me of the scene in rockers where dirty harry takesover...2 different textures of music.

i dont know how much sense im making

• staple of my sets is the antibalas makossa mix of "che che cole"

No doubt. That 12" is fiyah! Both versions rock the dancefloor. Co-sign on Massak as well. "B.L.A." is with me everytime I play.

WORD to that. I've never had enough nerve to drop Fela out in the feild. I get enough dumb looks when I drop that Antibalas track. Fucking hipsters.

Anyone pick up any of the Fela Box Sets? I think there are 3 of them out there, I just picked up the 3rd one the comes with the Ginger Baker LP. The amount of this man's talent was insane.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Yeah you're right - music about government corruption is pretty self indulgent.

K.

I'm talking about the music and not the message........and you know that, K. Uuuh...

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

im not hating on you , mate.

Cool - there's no reason that you should.

i justcant imagine id be perfectly comfortable around people who could sit still with my hommie fela playing over the speakers.

hey, it's an opinion, and one grafted from personal experience. Putting it simply, and I think somebody else hit it on the head when they said maybe it's a regional type thing, Fela doesn't work for everybody. Easy, when you read it in context. So I'm sure we'ld sink a brew or two if we were in company!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    staple of my sets is the antibalas makossa mix of "che che cole"

No doubt. That 12" is fiyah! Both versions rock the dancefloor. Co-sign on Massak as well. "B.L.A." is with me everytime I play.

WORD to that. I've never had enough nerve to drop Fela out in the feild. I get enough dumb looks when I drop that Antibalas track. Fucking hipsters.

Anyone pick up any of the Fela Box Sets? I think there are 3 of them out there, I just picked up the 3rd one the comes with the Ginger Baker LP. The amount of this man's talent was insane.

I have Box Set 1, 3 & 4. They're great! 6 LPs each plus cool booklets and postcards.

Somehow I can't seem to get a hold of Vol2...

Anybody with Box Set 2 for sale?

Please!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

hey, it's an opinion, and one grafted from personal experience. Putting it simply, and I think somebody else hit it on the head when they said maybe it's a regional type thing, Fela doesn't work for everybody. Easy, when you read it in context. So I'm sure we'ld sink a brew or two if we were in company!

no doubt.this isnt anything personal man.

i ot box sets 1&2. kindof crony that the booklets are the same for both

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    this isnt anything personal man.

Absolutely, triple. Everything is cool as.Just opinions. !

• Options
    Yeah you're right - music about government corruption is pretty self indulgent.

K.

I'm talking about the music and not the message........and you know that, K. Uuuh...

Was JAmes Brown's music self indulgent, then?

K.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Was JAmes Brown's music self indulgent, then?

K.

To many degrees, of course it was. Why do you ask? Is it important?

• Options
    Because if Fela's purported self-indulgence hurts the effectivenes of the music, why doesn't the same hold true for JB (and all the wanne be JB's your funk 45's)?

K.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Because if Fela's purported self-indulgence hurts the effectivenes of the music, why doesn't the same hold true for JB (and all the wanne be JB's your funk 45's)?

K.

....and of course you're forgetting the fact that I'm not a fan of Felas music in the first place. Yes that can happen!

And yes it does hold true for JB - his instrumental LP's are prime examples, and probably best listened to at home (where truthfully, the LP format was originally designed for).

To put it in a nutshell, a repetitive funk groove lasting 2 and half minutes has more appeal to me than a slower repetitive afro funk groove lasting 18 minutes. And the dancefloors that I've experienced in 18 years of DJ'ing tend to do the same. Impact.

• Options
    So MArijata's "No Condition is Permenant" (approx 8 minutes) kills your dancefloor, too?

We live in different cities my friend.

K.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    So MArijata's "No Condition is Permenant" (approx 8 minutes) kills your dancefloor, too?

We live in different cities my friend.

K.

I don't have it and never heard anyone play it so I couldn't tell you.....and certainly, a lot of this differential is without a doubt territorial.

• Options
    No Condition is Permanent + another 5-6 minutes.

I know Quantic drops afro-stuff and Miles Cleret runs a night out there - they don't seem to have problems (as far as I know).

Kevin in Canada.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    No Condition is Permanent + another 5-6 minutes.

I know Quantic drops afro-stuff and Miles Cleret runs a night out there - they don't seem to have problems (as far as I know).

Kevin in Canada.

I'll be sure to check it. I know people that play afro - Quantic, Adrian Gibson, Gilles Peterson etc, (but for not wanting to sound repetitive and to address the point of this thread), in my experience usually in the warm up. At least when the programming appears to work the floor best.

Last long Gilles set I caught actually involved afro for the early doors and a transition into The Vibrettes - Humpty Dump. Now, not the strongest funk rekkid ever made, but the blend into that intro breakbeat had the crowds attention immediately. Folks, strokes.

• Options
    I tend to play it with Caribbean funk as opposed to US stuff, but yeh, strokes/folks. I hope you didn't take this whole thing wrong - just discussing/trying to understand hwat different people think.

K.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I tend to play it with Caribbean funk as opposed to US stuff, but yeh, strokes/folks. I hope you didn't take this whole thing wrong - just discussing/trying to understand hwat different people think.

K.

No problem K. - I was on your frequency

G

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I can't recall any Fela track failing on a Toronto dancefloor before????

K.

what??? not even a secret squirrel b-side or something. makes no sensse.

i've always pondered the rich medina all fela spin. dude has to be quick mixing that shit, otherwise it would be like "yo i got 7 records to play this evening ladies and gentlemen".

one fela tune i've played out is the flip side of zombie. what's that tune???

fela is really good for sex.

PS- damn kevin, you can't just show motherfuckers pictures of that geraldo pino album. you should repress that or something. fiending..........

You ever heard the Cristy Essien stuff with Pino's band backing her up? Disco fire!

I'm in the preliminary stges of setting upa label with Danno, so maybe...

K.

power to the people is quite awesome.......I regret passing up on that 45. Assuming the rest of the lp is just as good. Also the Essien "rumours" is on some guzzo modern soul shazz.......