Any Tattoo artists/enthusiasts here?

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
If so, how did you begin? Did you have to apprentice under someone? How long till you got good enough to start tatting folks up? Plaese to offer some sage advice as I'm seriously looking to pursue more creative endeavors...Much thanks...

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    you wanna get into highly skilled tattoo removal mate. money explosions for the next 10 years.

• though I'm a HUGE fan of tats on chicks, I know a bulk of the honeys with em will be getting that "dolphin I drew myself that espresses my individuality" removed

• Hahaha... I'm sure you're right about that shit but to me, right now I need to get out of my high-stress work environment and focus my attention to something more creatively fulfilling. I know a couple of dudes who are really good and they're living pretty comfortably. I don't wanna start askin them a whole mess of questions just yet though. So I figured the Strut might yield me some prelim info.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Two things I can say about Richmond:

1) Ink out the ass.

2) And MILFs out the ass.

oh, and a third:

3) no records

I know a couple of people and they struggle. I put that to them being mostly artists and not business people. Also, I know they apprenticed for many years before going out on their own.

• Two things I can say about Richmond:

1) Ink out the ass.

2) And MILFs out the ass.

oh, and a third:

3) no records

Same can be said about OC/LA. It's ridiculous how tatted up people are. The MILFs are also in full effect.

Still no records...

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    i supplemented my income in high school giving tattoos to dirtbags and girls that were less than selective. out there are several people who hate me now. especially that one girl with the huge danzig skull and "DANNY" written below it.

i learned from an ex-convict in my bedroom.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    especially that one girl with the huge danzig skull and "DANNY" written below it.

Don't call me a girl, you jerk.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have been thinking recently that I need many more tattoos.

• a buddy of mine just started as an artist at the best shop in town....he apprenticed there for well over a year. He was able to start so quickly because a good friend of his is the top artist there...usually you gotta apprentice a lot longer from what Im told. He called me after he got his first paying job...he said it was on some "chick's cooter" I asked him "what did you put on it?" He said "some shit from an Ani Difranco album"

He says the $ is pretty good...about $250 a night.

cooter

LOL

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    My friend got a tattoo of an octopus recently. Unforntunatly for him, there is a now a cock like shape in the negative space between two tentacles. Its not very subtle either. I find it funny but I try not to bring it up around him, as he is bummed about it. I thought it was just coincidence but when I told a freind of mine who hangs out with tat artists about it, he said "oh yeah they (tattoo artists) do that shit all the time"

but funny @ the same time

as long as Im not the one with a cocktopus on my arm

im never getting a tattoo

• my homeboy andrew is pretty sick with it, he was taught by omi from miami ink fame.
    i always wanted to get into it but...never did. chech him out.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14524569

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My friend got a tattoo of an octopus recently. Unforntunatly for him, there is a now a cock like shape in the negative space between two tentacles. Its not very subtle either. I find it funny but I try not to bring it up around him, as he is bummed about it. I thought it was just coincidence but when I told a freind of mine who hangs out with tat artists about it, he said "oh yeah they (tattoo artists) do that shit all the time"

but funny @ the same time

as long as Im not the one with a cocktopus on my arm

im never getting a tattoo

Sounds like a good candidate for my upcoming documentary "I HATE MY TATOO". This is not a joke. If you hate your tatoo and want to film your story, let me know. BTW if anyone has contacts in the Mike Tyson camp hit me on the PM. You know he hates that shit.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    check out this livejournal of bad tattoos
    http://community.livejournal.com/bad_tattoos_3/

this one is my favorite

• this one is my favorite

BAHAHAHAHAHAaaaa..

i.. oh man.. hahahahaaaaa