Cover Versions That BREAK The Deal

2»

Comments

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    there's a dancehall version of "rainy days" that i used to like. sammy dread i think...who i don't like. but the rhythm was rough. totally different song from the og though.

going back to the first post there's an eric dolphy cover of god bless the child that i remember liking, although that was back when i was first getting into jazz. and again i don't recall it sounds very much like the og.

can't think of any additions right now though. i can think of a lot of covers i hate, but in most cases the og bothers me just as much.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    there's a dancehall version of "rainy days" that i used to like. sammy dread i think...who i don't like. but the rhythm was rough. totally different song from the og though.

going back to the first post there's an eric dolphy cover of god bless the child that i remember liking, although that was back when i was first getting into jazz. and again i don't recall it sounds very much like the og.

can't think of any additions right now though. i can think of a lot of covers i hate, but in most cases the og bothers me just as much.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

That's pretty much where I was going when I started the thread. Can't stand "God Bless The Child" or "Little Green Apples," to name two, in anybody's version and that would probably include whoever did them first.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    the Theme from SWAT for me. i remember when eothen was hollering at me all geeked over some obscure covers of this track (this was in the 90s) and i was

Heh, one of my homies collects "SWAT" covers (and "Spinning Wheel" covers, of which he has approximately 426,925, give or take a few). The vast majority of them are unbearably cheesy, though some of them are cheesy-funny.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I will pass any soul album with a cover of Morris Albert's "Feelings" on it. I surmise there were quite a few of them back in the mid 70's.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Get It Girl

• Heh, one of my homies collects "SWAT" covers (and "Spinning Wheel" covers, of which he has approximately 426,925, give or take a few). The vast majority of them are unbearably cheesy, though some of them are cheesy-funny.

ugh, just about to say spinning wheel. I cant take the original at this point.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Let me make sure I understand.

People are hating Change is Gonna Come?

I like Joan Baez version of Eleanor Rigby off her 1st.

Back to hating...

I've never liked Bacharach songs in general and it's usually a bad sign--esp with jazz records.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Can't stand "God Bless The Child" or "Little Green Apples," to name two, in anybody's version and that would probably include whoever did them first.

What about Sonny Rollins' take on "God Bless the Child"? Give it a listen if you haven't heard it, you might change your mind.

Can't stand "God Bless The Child" in anybody's version

What about Sonny Rollins' take on "God Bless the Child"? Give it a listen if you haven't heard it, you might change your mind.

Sonny Rollins doesn't really move me either, although I'd likely give HIM a second chance quicker than I would "G.B.T.C."...I'll keep an ear out.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Can someone up the Wilson Pickett version of Hey Jude. I need it. Also good version of Hey Jude by Wendell Stuart.

Can't stand "God Bless The Child" in anybody's version

I sorta-kinda take that back, Grant Green's rendition didn't offend me...