Any Sociologist on this board?

1219197712191977 323 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Finishing my undergraduate this summer. What are fellow sociologists doing for employment?

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

• lol. True Story. I'm makin blap though with my worthless sociology degree.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Going graduate school is your only hope...

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Isn't there a clear path to being some sorta social worker with that undergraduate degree? (Maybe a year or two more school?)

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Finishing my undergraduate this summer. What are fellow sociologists doing for employment?

the degree itself is rather useless.
    How about language skills, internships, "soft skills", SPSS and STATA ? That??s important to get a job.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Isn't there a clear path to being some sorta social worker with that undergraduate degree? (Maybe a year or two more school?)

Social workers all have masters degrees, that's always been my understanding.
    I think some social service jobs can be had without one, but to have
    the job title "social worker", I'm pretty sure you need that masters.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

didn't study sociology as an undergrad some years back.
    but did end up with a grand return to the halls of academia in said subject.
    dude, your undergrad degree can help you get an entry level job doing whatever. sociology or psychology or art history- it makes no difference. find something interesting, get some experience, see where it takes you.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I am still going through school, and my Major is Elementry Education. I right now have 3 jobs and one of the happen to be as a behavioral therapist to young children with autism.

Im thinking of sticking with Psych as well. Im still young and things are flowing right. What will happen will happen. Music will always be there in my 3.

My plan is to transfer to the Yay area and complete my degree. I know that I deeeeefinately would love to do Grad School at Berkley. Im gonna keep living the dream.

sigh...

wish i was there now.

But, I dont think there is any harm in going back to school for Grad. I think its a great accomplishment and will def pay dem billz.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

i ardy tolt you what to do, bama. why dont theys listen?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    the degree itself is rather useless.
    How about language skills, internships, "soft skills", SPSS and STATA ? That??s important to get a job.
    dude, your undergrad degree can help you get an entry level job doing whatever. sociology or psychology or art history- it makes no difference. find something interesting, get some experience, see where it takes you.

All of this above advice is spot on. I was a psych undergraduate and pretty much was in the same position as you.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself, what are my marketable skills and where do I want to end up? Do I want face time with people or be more in the research area? As someone with a BA is sociology you can write well, I should hope, and ultimately that is the one occupational skill that you have definitely acquired. After that, it's all about those soft skills that you have, 2nd language skills and who you know.

I highly recommend getting some real world experience in what interests you, even if you have to take an ungenerous paycheck for a while and see what interests you most. Going straight into grad school is right for those who know what they want, but if you have some ideas you want to explore, nothing beats real wold shit.

I worked as a group home counselor for emotionally disturbed boys, a teacher, and as a job placement counselor for the 10 years after receiving my degree. I ultimately ended up making the transition from education/social work to nursing, which I am pursuing now.

I wish you luck. Just check out what you dig first--the rest of it is an "exploratory experience".

Good luck and lemme know if you have any questions--there are no dumb questions.

PS Are you at Cal and is that your SID as your name?

• rorororo 22 Posts
    i'm studying sociology at la sorbonne (paris) and i'm doing a master (fourth year after the Baccalaureat).
    i'm working on the indie labels in french rap.

• true.

I'm not exactly trying to apply my degree to anything, so I can't complain, but it's not doing anything for me at the moment. Currently it's helping me check Soulstrut too many times a day, play Vice City, and make beats.

When I graduated (2001) I worked in a children's program at a homeless shelter for 3.5 years. The degree started me out at a higher pay rate. I played board games, helped with homework, and watched movies like Little Rascals and Shrek about 50 times. It doesn't exactly matter what your degree is sometimes. it's just a piece of paper. If you graduated from a good school people are cool with that. They want you to have experience anyways. Experience isprobably more valuable than a degree.

I would like to add that the year long Social Theory class I had to take was the most boring shit ever.

One of the highlights of my Sociology experience was taking a class with Loic Wacqant (who I just found out has his own wikipedia page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo??c_Wacquant). He was a tough teacher, but at the end of the semester he took us to a prison. It was definitely interesting to see the inner workings of a prison, including the robotic cars that drive around the prison guided by underground magnets and pick up garbage and laundry

Sociology's impact on my life...

• Much of my work in mass communication is informed by a sociological perspective. To my mind sociology is the ultimate in "it is what you make of it."

• Finishing my undergraduate this summer. What are fellow sociologists doing for employment?

i ardy tolt you what to do, bama. why dont theys listen?
    I haven???t forgotten what you said. It's still an option.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Social workers all have masters degrees, that's always been my understanding.
    I think some social service jobs can be had without one, but to have
    the job title "social worker", I'm pretty sure you need that masters.

Not true. If you want to do direct service, or work in a group home, or something like that, you just need an undergraduate degree. That's tough work though. My special lady friend works in child protective services, and although she has her masters, she has plenty of co-workers without one.