Who in here doesn't watch TV?

john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I can't pinpoint when, but within the past year or so, I've pretty much weaned myself off of TV. Sometimes I'll read about a show, or hear about a show that sounds interesting and then I always forget to check it out. Some dumbass chick at work actually said to me..."You don't watch no shows or nothin? Damn, you don't do nothin, you boring..." I actually thought that was funny, considering every conversation of hers has to do with television (bad reality TV shows more specifically)...

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I don't watch it outside of the occasional basketball game and 24 (but I watch that on iTunes). When I go to my friends place the TV is ALWAYS on and it's so strange, their lives are centered around it, everyone watches and no one really talks.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I pretty much only watch sports and
    movies, and the movies usually only on TCM.

I don't watch any series and am completely
    disconnected from all TV talk.

Actually, I do sometimes watch The Office, but
    that's more like my once-a-week hang out with my
    roommate, cause she watches TV all night every night
    so I'll sit and watch that with her...and I watch
    Judge Judy with her when I get home from work sometimes,
    cause that show rules.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I mostly watch TV when I go to bed (Law and Order heads STAND UP [Thes, I see you]). Very rarely do I watch it otherwise. I'm mostly with the fam, making music, or on the interweb.
    Any shit I miss I can catch on youtube

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i watch tv at friends houses, and i watch dvds of good tv shows, but i never watch tv by choice

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i only watch sports...

i got rid of cable about 6 months ago and don't miss it much...

i do watch alot of tv shows on DVD tho...

lately this has been killing me:

• No TV in my brain for about 1.5 years now. After my X and me broke up Iv been heavy record listening only. No visuals.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I gave up TV in 2001--I'll still watch an important sports event, though.

• Who needs tv when you have soulstrut and soulseek? I really enjoy the office dvd set though- it's nice not having ads shoved in your face every 5 minutes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i only watch sports...

BALONEY!![/b]

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I've gone through fazes of very little TV over the years...
    But lately I've found quite a bit of TV worth watching:
    HBO Series', Lost, The Office, 30 Rock and so on.
    Very rarely do I turn it on just to see what's on.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've lived without TV for about a year now. It's doesn't make sense for me to have it, since I work nights. I'll get to a friend's house if I have a Sunday off to watch NFL. I've read six books so far in 2007, with 52 as my goal for the year.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    4 years no cable/satellite
    lots of dvd/vhs purchases/rentals

when i see tv at my girl's house or when i am traveling it scares me with its huge void of greed and wanton stupidity
    its like after 10 minutes of high speed cross cut computer animated surround sound adverts jamming product and needless detris in my face - i am gobsmacked
    i usually don't even comprehend what they want me to do or buy
    "what the fuck was that?"?

it is so insulting to any intelligent sentient being's concsciousness

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i only watch dutch television at friends.
    or internet.
    i never owned a tv in my live.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    since moving in with my girl i've had no t.v at all. for the most part i'm better for it but i miss watching new episodes of family guy and the simpsons.

we have lots of dvd's, been wathching the office. finished season 1 and 2 of the u.s version and were currently half way through the 2nd season of the u.k version.

peace,xavier

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I stopped watching five years ago or so. Since then, the only time I turn on my TV is to watch movies, DVD or Turner Classic. I watched "The Daily Show", "Kids In The Hall", "Mystery Science Theater 3000", "South Park", even noon-time public broadcast reruns like "Ironside", "Sanford & Son", "Alias Smith & Jones" and "Carol Burnett & Friends" during a brief period of unemployment. Now I just don't really pay attention. I hear shows like "Saturday Night Live" went down the drain big time so it's not worth it. I never took the time to understand all the hype behind shows like "Lost" and "The wire". However, I do rent and buy TV shows on DVD, even moreso lately.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I have owned a TV for a year and a half. What shows I want to watch are easily downloaded from the Internet. I don't miss it at all.

• 4 years no cable/satellite
    lots of dvd/vhs purchases/rentals

when i see tv at my girl's house or when i am traveling it scares me with its huge void of greed and wanton stupidity
    its like after 10 minutes of high speed cross cut computer animated surround sound adverts jamming product and needless detris in my face - i am gobsmacked
    i usually don't even comprehend what they want me to do or buy
    "what the fuck was that?"?

it is so insulting to any intelligent sentient being's concsciousness

i'm sorry, but this is the dumbest shit i have ever heard. there is more to television than desperate housewives and monday night football. its just another medium of obtaining information. i can read about the news or i can watch it as it happens. presidential debates, war footage, protests, catastrophes like katrina, etc. these things aren't important to you? if you dont have a tv (but can afford one) you might as well not be part of society. go buy some camping equipment and live in a teepee out in oregon.