• montymonty 420 Posts
    yes

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    yes

• no but i own a tuxedo rap

• No, but I would rather have these:

• No, but shit I???m 29 now and I probably should. totally

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    No, but I've been thinking about buying one lately. I always end up being in a really resentful foul mood when forced to wear a rental to some event because they are inevitably poorly made and cut with a complete lack of style--it's like wearing a halloween costume.

I think I'd be in a much better temper at black tie events if I was in my own tux.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Yep.

The real question is, pumps and a hand-tied bow tie?

• No, but shit I???m 29 now and I probably should. totally

• yes

• Canadian tuexedo, yes

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    no - but i'm in the market...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My buddy asked me to be in his fancy wedding a few years ago. Said I needed to buy or rent a tuxedo. Then a few weeks later he calls and asks me what my inseam is and what size suit do I wear etc. I have no idea. He's at the Jr League sale in Silver Springs and tuxs are like $2.00 each. So he buys a handful and mails them to me.

I find the best fit then head to the tailors. Then it's to Nordstrom Rack for some discounted shirt, shoes, cumberbund and jewlery. That shit cost me $150.00. Fortunatly I wore it to the opera a few years ago so it wasn't a complete waste.

• That shit cost me $150.00.

im shocked at your language.

i bought one at a thrift store for $30 when i worked for a catering company. the waist for 12 sizes bigger than mine. i had a midnight tailor alter it and its perfect now. ive actually worn it on numerous occasions

• Black, white and brown.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    No, but I've been thinking about buying one lately. I always end up being in a really resentful foul mood when forced to wear a rental to some event because they are inevitably poorly made and cut with a complete lack of style--it's like wearing a halloween costume.

No, but I am at the same stage. At this point in life, I will not rent clothes. The next tuxedo occasion, I'm buying one. But tuxedo occasions are very few. I have two fly hand-tailored three-piece suits (one black one charcoal) that work for most formal functions. And tie your own damn bow-tie, folls.

No, but I am at the same stage. At this point in life, I will not rent clothes. The next tuxedo occasion, I'm buying one. But tuxedo occasions are very few. I have two fly hand-tailored three-piece suits (one black one charcoal) that work for most formal functions. And tie your own damn bow-tie, folls.

Here's an etiqutte dilemma: what if there is a troublesome groom or some such person who wants you to wear the same rental tux as the other dudes in the wedding party?

I'd just have to be real with it and say something like, "No, I spent a lot of money on my own tux precisely so I wouldn't have to wear those ridiculous things anymore."

And if there was further resistance, I guess I'd just have to go hard: "You're just mad that I'm gonna be bodyin' you and pretty much every other dude there in my tux. I think it's really petty that on your own wedding day you're fixated on the fact that I look better than you. I have grave doubts about your marriage's prospect of success, given this display of immaturity. I'm very sorry you forced me to say that to you."

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yes.
    big family. weddings funerals and wakes are aplenty.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Here's an etiqutte dilemma: what if there is a troublesome groom or some such person who wants you to wear the same rental tux as the other dudes in the wedding party?

I'd just have to be real with it and say something like, "No, I spent a lot of money on my own tux precisely so I wouldn't have to wear those ridiculous things anymore."

And if there was further resistance, I guess I'd just have to go hard: "You're just mad that I'm gonna be bodyin' you and pretty much every other dude there in my tux. I think it's really petty that on your own wedding day you're fixated on the fact that I look better than you. I have grave doubts about your marriage's prospect of success, given this display of immaturity. I'm very sorry you forced me to say that to you."

But what if they have chosen [color:blue] blue tux [/color] for the wedding party?

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    yes.

Do you wear a tuxedo to funerals or wakes? Is this common nowadays in your hood? I only wore a tux when I was in a wedding party. I never been to an award show or nothin

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Binned mine ten years ago. A good suit is a much better investment. And for those rare occasions when it has to be evening dress then hire that shit.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yes.

Do you wear a tuxedo to funerals or wakes? Is this common nowadays in your hood? I only wore a tux when I was in a wedding party. I never been to an award show or nothin

i have a suit. not really a tux. is an all purpose ralph laren suit. whether its appropriate for wakes, i dont know.

• ScottScott 420 Posts

• You can buy the same shitty quality tux that you would rent for about the same price at a discount store. My grandmother was adamant about this and insisted always on buying me tuxedos. I've owned about 5 of them now in varying sizes.

• yes.

Do you wear a tuxedo to funerals or wakes?

only if you are catering it

yes.

i have a suit. not really a tux. is an all purpose ralph laren suit. whether its appropriate for wakes, i dont know.

Dudes, the question was whether or not you owned a tux.

A tux and a suit are not the same thing, and--judging from the "What is your age?" thread--pretty much all of you are at an age where it shouldn't be in question whether or not you own at least one suit.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    yes.

Uh huh, tuxedo seems a little too 'celebratory' for funerals.

I asked cause I'm tryin to stay open about "regional differences." Anybody do this? Maybe N.O. marching band funeral? I dunno.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yes.

Uh huh, tuxedo seems a little too 'celebratory' for funerals.

I asked cause I'm tryin to stay open about "regional differences." Anybody do this? Maybe N.O. marching band funeral? I dunno.

Tuxes arent for funerals or Lastline marches. Classic Black suits are different from the Tux.
    And I own neither.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i owne one as well as a summer jacket in white. and i was going to say the same thing - who wears a tux to a funeral?

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    i owne one as well as a summer jacket in white. and i was going to say the same thing - who wears a tux to a funeral?

jaymack, I guess

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts