I'm at a cross-roads in life

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
In a few months the president of my company is retiring. He's probably one of the best bosses I've ever worked for. A very fair and reasonable guy who is a workaholic. Filling his shoes will require two or three people and I may be one of those people. However, it requires some additional schooling and a complete change in attitude. I've done desk work for years and this would involve a lot of face-to-face interaction with clients, managing work crews, scheduling work, doing sales, etc. My level of responsibility will quadruple but I expect a decent pay raise as I get used to the job. Either that or I will crash and burn. At any rate I would have to commit a few more years to the company.Now, normally I would jump at this but in about 6 months I'll be debt free and I was really hoping to use that opportunity to change careers. Do something I like instead of hustling for money all the time. I've started a little side business which I could grow and I was hoping to also go back to school and focus on a film production career.So now I don't know what to do. I could just toetheline and stay where I am, pay off my debt, build a little bit of savings and then go on with my life plans or I could dig in at this company and really make something o fit or I could push my own company. I think at any rate I can't do what I'm doing now much longer. It just doesn't satisfy me or make me happy. I need a change.Anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do?

Comments

• Is this job/position really what you want in a career? If not and it's just another job I would pass and make a different type of sacrifice that could be more enriching personally. IMO, sacrifices are great only when it's for something worthwhile. Sure you'll have some more money but at what cost? You'll be putting so much time,energy, and piece of mind into building and working for something that you couldn't give a fuck about.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Would changing careers slow your debt payments?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey DJ,

Yes, I've been in your situation. I was a human resource consultant for 5 years prior to becoming a professor. As a consultant, I developed and administered employee selection tests/assessments for many public and private employees (e.g., Sony, Lucent, Michelin, Cleveland Police, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, etc.). This called for juggling multiple project deadlines, a shitload of travel, and most negatively of all, MAD PRESSURE!!! I also performed litigation support where I had to assist the firm in defending our selection tests, on behalf of the client company, when challenged as discriminatory or biased, based on the evidence that test/assessment scores predicted job performance (we always won). While quite lucrative, this career path involved loads of stress, working for a boss who was a tyrant and unsure of what he wanted. It sucked to always be on edge everyday. Also, dealing with some of the municipal clients was a pain in the ass, as fire and police personnel are often distrustful of testing. Last, I didn't feel as I was giving anything of myself to society, which was something I desired to do.

So, I switched careers in 1999. I took my first prof job then and I absolutely loved it. Despite the fact that I graduated from a top program in my field, my first academic job was in a rinky-dink comprehensive university in North Carolina. I didn't have any research publications coming out of graduate school, so I had to get in where I could. This step back allowed me to move five steps forward to my current position where I've been blessed with a measure of success. I did this to build up my publication record to move on to a better university. Plus, working as a prof allows my family to live comfortably and I can pursue the non-work pursuits I enjoy (e.g., record collection, music producing, etc.). In making your decision, consider the bigger picture. It takes financial capital oftentimes to do what you like to do. So, be careful of making a choice that could potentially put your earning potential in jeopardy. That said, my advice is to pursue the promotion opportunity in your current organization. The money you make can be used to pursue, non-work, the things you like doing. It will be more difficult (and risky) to start your own business at this point. Plus, you can save up from your new position and have more money to open your business down the line. Remember, life is a marathon, not a sprint. Sometimes, you're required to take one step back to move five steps forward. Keep me posted on how things are going. Good luck!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Would changing careers slow your debt payments?

Yes. Significantly.

• wow stacks, you're like, the Dr. Phil of Soulstrut (no diss intended)

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    What did Yogi Berra say?

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

• i recall you saying you were going to switch to film/production work.

i'll say this much: is it worth putting off fincancial stability for 5 years to do what you want?

that's not me trying to be difficult: i made the same move this year for less money. and while my situation isn't the same (it was an obvious long term career choice, and i'd freelanced for 2 years for the people I now work for) it certainly put things like buying a home (which i've also seen you mention) on the back burner.

that said, i went with the production route, and have no regrets. now, i wasn't facing promotions at the other job, but i find my current work rewarding to the point that i looked forward to and am enjoying my saturday in the office.

Some days? yeah, its a fucking job like any other; but if you really think that it is what you want, and you feel you have the talent and drive to do it, the money will come. if you're in it for the money, than stick with the sure thing and take the promotion.

rereading that, sorry if it sounded too harsh or anything...not trying to be a dick. just trying to write fast so i can get back to work. best of luck with everything.

• arc, it never hurts to just brainstorm +/- for each path by putting pen to paper. jot down every aspect thats good or bad, maybe put an asterisk next to things that weigh heavily. sometimes this simple process will show you on paper what you know deep down is right for you.

my two cents: think of how nice it would be to kill that debt.the new position would be a challenge and a learning process, give you more clout,connections and resume padding, in addition to more financial stability. in your free time you may be able to start putting together the pieces for your own business (like stealing mad office supplies!!!! )

good luck. get advice but trust your instincts.

-t

• do you have kids?
    are you in a relationship that requires alot of money?
    how old are you?
    is it more important to make alot of money or have a job you enjoy?

it seems like you pretty much said in your post you dont want to continue in the same job except to pay debts. you also proclaimed you would like to pursue a career in film production. i think you need to stop doing a job you dont like and work in film production. it's at least worth a try and who knows you just might make alot of money doing something you really really enjoy!
    peace, stein. . .

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    arc, it never hurts to just brainstorm +/- for each path by putting pen to paper. jot down every aspect thats good or bad, maybe put an asterisk next to things that weigh heavily. sometimes this simple process will show you on paper what you know deep down is right for you.

I've even done this on a chalkboard and it seems to work even better. Wide focus. Large chalk and whiteboards work real well for studying too.

good luck. get advice but trust your instincts.

• Personally, if I were in your position, I would take the new job with your company. It would be great to pay off your debt and start putting a little in savings for when you start up your own company or go back to school. Also, that extra experience you get from stepping you career up will go a long way in helping you succeed if you do start up your own business.
    Best of luck

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    whenever I am faced with difficult decisions like this that require weighing in on the multitude of pros and cons of choice a or choice b I always end up asking myself this question: which choice with bring me more joy? whatever comes to mind before you really start thinking about it is usually the way to go.

good luck

• bump. this is a serious post that requires more talk.
    peace, stein. . .

• bump. this is a serious post that requires more talk.
    peace, stein. . .

i agree...i was fascinated by this thread, as it seemed to fall nearly 50/50...I'm really interested in seeing what others have to say.