Tyrone Davis "Can I change my Mind"

TruthTruth 50 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
On Dakar records. What do you think about this Lp?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    really nice, yet not amazing early 70's soul album. good as background music while cleaning the house, I don't listen to it all that often but I don't plan to rid it from my collection anytime soon

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

A hit 45 or two plus some not-bad filler (mostly covers of other people's hits). Cool elpee, but Tyrone was definitely a singles artist. I almost bought it not too long ago, but when I played it on the customer turntable, I thought it was good, but in the words of Mamie Galore, "It Ain't Necessary." I put it back and bought something else (I got all the pertinent tracks on singles).

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

A hit 45 or two plus some not-bad filler (mostly covers of other people's hits). Cool elpee, but Tyrone was definitely a singles artist. I almost bought it not too long ago, but when I played it on the customer turntable, I thought it was good, but in the words of Mamie Galore, "It Ain't Necessary." I put it back and bought something else (I got all the pertinent tracks on singles).

Agreed. The title cut is one of my favs, but the rest of the LP is okay. Go find the 45.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The kind of stuff I really like. Bluesy soul. That lp and Turn Back The Hands Of Time are 2 great ones for me. Reminds me of OV Wright and Howard Tate. Stuff I like. No doubt it's cheaper (and easier) to get the 45s, which sold in good number.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like this LP.

It is 1000x better than the racially ambiguous chalk-drawing on the cover would lead one to believe--almost looks like it could be Frank Sinatra or some such bullschitt.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Well, at least Sinatra wasn't going to be totin' around some puny ole gym bag, like Tyrone did. Woulda clashed with the cool suit.[/b]

Now, Billy Price was smart. When he walked out on HIS woman, at least he had a bigger bag![/b]