Amiri Baraka - DUTCHMAN

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Are there theater-goers here?This shocking classic race drama returns to the place where it all began in 1964 at the Cherry Lane Theatre. In Amiri Baraka???s Obie-Award Winning last play as LeRoi Jones, a white woman seduces a na??ve bourgeois black man on the train with terrifying results.I'm looking forward to seeing this. Has anyone been? Anyone here old enough to have seen the original? http://www.cherrylanetheatre.org/home.htmAnd oh yea...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I read about this in the NYTimes. I like the book, but the show is in Newark right?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I read about this in the NYTimes. I like the book, but the show is in Newark right?

No, it's at Cherry Lane in the west village, where it originally debuted.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

No, it's at Cherry Lane in the west village, where it originally debuted.

Mr. Baraka said he still writes in his upstairs office every day. He is most eager to revamp a musical about the black underworld boss Bumpy Johnson that he wrote with Max Roach, the jazz drummer and composer. ???Now that???d be something ??? a gangster musical,??? Mr. Baraka said. ???A black gangster musical.???

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    talk about someone who needs PR help.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Just listened to this last night.

and Bam.... page me!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

I saw him in Montreal a couple of years ago and he went on a awkward and dubious rant about how the Jews were behind 9/11.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I saw him in Montreal a couple of years ago and he went on a awkward and dubious rant about how the Jews were behind 9/11.

I heard that same rant at my college in Chicago. Dude went off. Then, he signed autographs. I'd go see Dutchman if I had a chance.