Has anyone been finding any records in Toronto?

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Or is it just me? I've been in this town for 6 months now, and I have yet to come home with a single record found "in the field" except for Cosmos (which could hardly be considered "the field") & Play De Vintage (which is now closing). And I've been looking, too - I've been down Queen E, over to Main, up to Mt. Pleasant... do I need to be haunting these places on a daily basis, or what? Has anyone else been finding good stuff here?Bonus question - where can I buy mailers?

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    toronto has been picked for ages, stores wise. You have to hit collections, that's the name of the game here.

best bet for mailers is to order online, to be honest.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    yea dude it is increasingly harder to come up. good luck going to stores to grab deals too.... you have to be diligent as hell (ie: check same spot daily) to even get a little something on the cheap.

my digging game has slowed tha fuck down lately.

i'll be selling some records in MArch at the Gladstone though... there is a record show on the 11th, should be nice.

• yo, does anyone have a phone number for cosmos?

even better, does anyone have a contact that they dont mind me calling to ask a question to (about a particular record)? On some, "Hi _________(cosmos contact),this is tony from philly. my hommie _______ (nice soulstrut person) said you might be able to help me out with a question..."

anybody know if they keep computerized inventory of what they get into the store and what been sold?

and lastly...ar ethere still hookers on Yonge street? anyone here patronize?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ask for Aki (owner) or Mike Klaps. They now have two locations, both on the same street, a few blocks apart.

Cosmos (416) 603-0254

Cosmos West (new/bigger store) (416) 861-9228

inventory was kept by paper at the old store, not sure about the new one.

No hookers on Yonge, it's been gentrified like Times Sq. There are still plenty on Church St though.

• Didn't know that Play De Record Vintage was closing.

As for records, there was a good place around Greenwood station that I went to over the summer. Not sure if it's still open tho. It had really cheap rap/r&b singles and misc. stuff.

• ask for Aki (owner) or Mike Klaps. They now have two locations, both on the same street, a few blocks apart.

Cosmos (416) 603-0254

No hookers on Yonge, it's been gentrified like Times Sq. There are still plenty on Church St though.

thanks aser. do you know which store or which guy handles the hiphop?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    yo, does anyone have a phone number for cosmos?

even better, does anyone have a contact that they dont mind me calling to ask a question to (about a particular record)? On some, "Hi _________(cosmos contact),this is tony from philly. my hommie _______ (nice soulstrut person) said you might be able to help me out with a question..."

anybody know if they keep computerized inventory of what they get into the store and what been sold?

and lastly...ar ethere still hookers on Yonge street? anyone here patronize?

You can tell'em I told ya to call up. I'm pretty much an employee there (The Employee holiday dinner party this year was off the chain!!!)

Like Aser said. Talk to Aki.

No computerized inventory. But Aki and some of the other guys knows whats come through. Cept for a few secret spots in hidden places in the shop!

You could PM me and ask away and I could get answers for ya.

Hookers on Yonge? Hmmm maybe javis. But I would stay away from that.

Also, back to the topic of records in toronto. What are you looking for? I just looked at a crazy house and a bit of hip hop collection tonight. You can get great records still, but not picking and choosing at cheap prices.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Toronto is one of the best cities in N. America. There are lots of records. Cosmos is great onestop, but you have to pay. I find good stuff everywhere. You need a car.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I mean best for many things other than, but including, records.

ask for Aki (owner) or Mike Klaps. They now have two locations, both on the same street, a few blocks apart.

Cosmos (416) 603-0254

thanks aser. do you know which store or which guy handles the hiphop?

Mike K or you could ask Rick. But I'd ask for Mike.

Oh, and they do the hip hop out of the old shop.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    As for records, there was a good place around Greenwood station that I went to over the summer. Not sure if it's still open tho. It had really cheap rap/r&b singles and misc. stuff.

Is this "Tune Up Music" or something like that? It was around the corner from a KFC. A few years back I met Paul E. Lopez (who hosted a great show on CKLN for years) there, he was working there at the time.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    probably not as Aaron's store closed before this past summer. He posts on here though, and he still sells from home/ebay/record shows.

Paul and Frasier worked at his store often. Tuneup was a great store btw.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    ah - and maybe I'm off, but Frasier=Fase?

I miss Fase's show on Friday nights. (I don't live in Toronto anymore) For awhile 88.1 or maybe it was 89.5 would play Fase's hour long mixes at midnight. Positive.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Didn't know that Play De Record Vintage was closing.

The place by Greewood station is now closed. I know this because I was their last customer.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think you're all thinking about Open City, there hasn't been anything in there in years. Great place to pick up your classic rock and pop for cheap, but rarely anything of interest for strutters.

yes that is Frasier.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I heard that the Goodwill thrifts outside of Toronto are a killer resource for pokora level dollar bin psych.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Toronto = World Capital of Fake Finds.

The imaginary lots people been pulling there are

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Q: Has anyone been finding any records in Toronto?
    A: Yes!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Can we get a second hand update?

ah - and maybe I'm off, but Frasier=Fase?

I miss Fase's show on Friday nights. (I don't live in Toronto anymore) For awhile 88.1 or maybe it was 89.5 would play Fase's hour long mixes at midnight. Positive.

Friday nights

Stylistik Endeavors CIUT 89.5
    DJ Serious
    DJ Fase
    Hosts: Planet Pea & Theology 3
    Fridays 8-10PM
    www.CIUT.fm
    http://www.stylistik.ca/

I still go up there once in awhile to hang. Great guys. Not just a dope radio show, but pure jokesssssssss.

• oripsorips 238 Posts

Most of the time, I find good records in the thrifts. Recently, I copped about 70 reggae 45s, which I then flipped to a friend of mine.

• I had pretty good luck there last year. In non-store locales I had a good reggae score and a really good Bollywood score. I still prefer digging in Montreal though.