Nikon SLR D 50....anyone used this camera?

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I am in the market for a decent digital camera and have come across a D50 SLR with a lens right around my price range. I have been reading some reviews of the camera online but wanted to throw it out to the knowledgable strut photogs for the personal touch.

Comments

• ericeric 155 Posts
    Got a D50,and it's dope ass camera, i love it.
    Semi pro,quiet easy to handle.Make beautiful pictures

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    My ex-girlfriend just bought one of these. I helped her pick it out. It really does the job. Takes amazing pictures. Easy to use, and not too digital looking. She has a matching non digi-slr from canon and the lenses are interchangeable. She picked up from Ebay for like $350. Well worth it.

- spidey

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I am in the market for a decent digital camera and have come across a D50 SLR with a lens right around my price range. I have been reading some reviews of the camera online but wanted to throw it out to the knowledgable strut photogs for the personal touch.

Dr. J: I have the D-70 - bought it right around when Nikon debuted the whole entry-level pro-sumer "D" line.

LOVE the camera and were I to buy a digital SLR now, I'd probably go with the D-50 vs. the D-70 since most of the manual functions that come with the D-70 are things I don't use at all. The D-50 also has better optics than the D-70 in some areas (not quite as good in others) but overall, for a less expensive model, you're not going to be giving up very much in terms of performance.

My main advice is more around lenses - I'd personally just buy the body and get your own lenses since the stock one they send is this middle-of-the-road zoom lens that just underperforms in my opinion. I'd rather outfit myself with a decent 28 and 50 lens (respectively) and maybe, if I really plan on doing action shots, consider a higher zoom lens (85-200 or something) if I REALLY plan on using that investment.

Not to plug all my gazillion baby pics, but all of these were shot on D-70 with a fixed 50mm lens - just to give you an idea of the photo quality that you can expect with a D-50.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I have a d80, which is a bit more expensive. I think it's worth the extra $, but if you want to stick in a reasonable price range, then the d50 can't be beat. Prices should be dropping even lower w/ the intro of the d40 (which isn't compatible w/ any non DX lenses).

Nikon has the most kickass lens on the market right now, the 18-200mm with VR. Not cheap at $750, and perpetually short stocked. You'll be lucky to get one at that price as resellers have it at close to a g. The lens is incredible, and I hope to own it one day. My advice, stick w/ nikkor lens, don't be tempted by the cheaper prices of other brands.

Here are some examples w/ my d80.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with Nikon DSLRs these days. I've used the D70 pretty extensively and it's a dope dope, camera that can handle anything you throw at it. Even if it's your first SLR and you're only starting to get into the manual functions, it's auto modes are so damn good that your images will still come out way better than anything you've ever experienced before from a digital camera.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Damn dudes, specifically thank you to each of you guys that replied. Confirmation on exactly what i wanted to confirm.

I bought one online yesterday from Beach Camera. It comes with that middle of the road (18-55mm) lens, but i am just getting into manual features so i figure it'll be good enough for me to get straight on before an upgrade.

I read a lot of reviews and the Nikkor or nothing advice seems unanimous between amateur users and professional reviewers, really good info to have before making any purchases. I really like that the D50 works as a platform for you to take quality pictures on and lets you expand pretty far before until you get to the point where you want to upgrade.

Also thanks for the pics O Dub and Aser they look great.