Reprise label question

LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody know when Reprise went to the all pumpkin orange label? '74 or earlier?Thanks.Oh, and its 28 degrees in PHX right now.

Comments

• yeah...'74, sometime in the middle of the year, so there are some pink and orange lables in '74 as well.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I thought it was more like late 1970/71.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I thought it was more like late 1970/71.

I have 2 sources saying '70. Joe Lindsey's often inaccurate Record Label Guide say 4th quarter of '70 with lp #6411. (have to go to BSN and try to determine title.) For records in my database that would mean that Little Richard Rill Thing is on a 2 tone lp while Sweetwater Just For You is brown. Always remember that record companies did not say, "from this day forth all records will have a brown label and the 2 tone will never be seen again". They would get a new design and over time it would be phased in.

This also marked the death of the w7 logo. The 6000 series would be dropped in 1973 and new titles would be listed in the 2000 series. The 2 1/2 turds in a toilet logo would be added in 1976. All according to Joe Lindsey.

T-Bone Walkers Very Rare from 1973 is #6483 and 6000s make a reappearence as 12" singles in the early 90s. Hendrix Smash Hits from 1969(?) is in the 2000 series. That is all from my data base.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've also found that not all pressing locations that the major labels had/used changed label designs at the same time.

My guess is that the labels were printed "shells" that had the basic design in place and the LP info was over printed on to them.

Pretty unlikely that all these "shells" would have been depleted simutaneously.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've also found that not all pressing locations that the major labels had/used changed label designs at the same time.

My guess is that the labels were printed "shells" that had the basic design in place and the LP info was over printed on to them.

Pretty unlikely that all these "shells" would have been depleted simutaneously.

Exactly.