Killer Kuts, Blazin Hot, etc promo rap EPs- info?

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
SOmetimes i come across these 12"s but they are more like EPs, with 3-6 songs, from different artists. you know them, they dont list the aritsts and usually change the song titles, i guess to keep them secret and to not get busted. I know they were just made for DJs and werent official/legal etc, but im just curious if anybodys ever gathered info on them - like whats on what volumes of the various series and such? I cant tell if that would even be interesting to people, but ive got a bunch of these type of things, and theres always tracks on them that i cant ID cuz im clueless. anyone know some good backround on these?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    They tend to be mainstream hip-hop condensed in a DJ friendly format (extended 8-bar intros) and occasionally they'll have some blends. It's my understanding that the labels will sometimes put songs on these as a promo deal, and there are a few rappers who use them to put out diss rhymes when they feel like being childish and feuding with some other star. I always stay away, they are littering the shelves of Amoeba Berkeley and by the time you see them used almost all of that music is out officially on better pressings with titles and instrumentals and all.

A lot of the ones I've seen recently have this weird thing where they'll have an unmarked white label and then a piece of paper inside with like 2 dozen song titles, and one will be circled, and supposedly that's the one that's on the record. The logic of all this nonsense is beyond me though.