how to identify a Reggae 45 blank....

tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Strutters....as some may remember i am working on selling the collection of the late Llyod Williams for his widow. It contains more than a handful or blank label 45's which I would like to be able to identify. Obviously I can use the matrix number in the dead wax, but is there an online site where I can then look up the number to find the corresponding title? Any help would be much appreciated, as i am trying to raise funds to help this lady out. Merci......Aaron

Comments

• Aaron - I know a bit about this. Searches that work and a couple websites. Give me a call on my cell (not in the shop yet).

There is a big database you can order, if you plan on doing this for a while. You can get it on CDRom or book format, but the CD is better because you can search by matrix whereas with the book, you need the title of the tune.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    or post soundclips here or on the blood and fire forum of your unknown 7's
    coffinjoe is an expert on this type of thing

• Yeah that is a good idea too.

The biggest key is to familiarize yourself with the different rhythms - that narrows the field down exponentially.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    This is an awesome resource for reggae 7"'s
    it may help!
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~tapirs/

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

There is a big database you can order, if you plan on doing this for a while. You can get it on CDRom or book format, but the CD is better because you can search by matrix whereas with the book, you need the title of the tune.

this works like a charm... a friend of mine has it and he's helped me put names to a buncha magic markered tunes i had... you just need the matrix number...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Jeremy at Traxonwax is one of the foremost reggae collectors and historians on the planet. Try mailing him at [email]jc@traxonwax.net.[/email] I have yet to pose a question he couldn't answer.

• before I email a dude I dont know, anyone know what this blank is:

Soul Beat dsr-pw-4833-1 ?

thanks in advance

• Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the other James Brown from Jamaica? I came across a 45 & on one side it was reggae the other was an ok funk tune (definitely not the real j.b.'s)??

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the other James Brown from Jamaica? I came across a 45 & on one side it was reggae the other was an ok funk tune (definitely not the real j.b.'s)??

also known as "james boom"...

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    thanks to all for the help.....
    definitely gonna have to get one or all of these suggestions going. really appreciate it folks....
    you all are the definition of