8 Ball Jackets making a comeback???????

davidwingatedavidwingate 748 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I have to say for the last month I have seen a bunch of young cats running around with 8 Ball Jackets like that shit was some new improved shit! I mean back in the late 80's and early 90's cats used to get shot or stabbed for their jackets...plus, after awhile the shit became sooo played out that people were clowin' cats that wore them. Now I know the whole 80's punk shit was a craze for some and that shit is becoming played, but 8 Ball Jackets as the new flavor???????? I say super weak sauce!!!!!!! AMIR

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    the 90s are next and we are getting OLD

wuddup a**r!

• what up homie!!!! how u been? ain't seen u seen the knitting factory night...u guys going to WMC??? kon and i are tryin' but been hittin' a brick wall. holla when you get a chance...let's catch up. as for gettin' old...I guess so man cause my jaw dropped when i seen that shit for the first since like 90'.

Amir

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

AN OMEN OF THE IMPENDING REAL SCHITT RETURN... DO NOT IGNORE THIS HARBINGER, NAYSAYERS

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    8-ball jackets coming back? One can only hope.

[img[http://the-pond.net/modules/PNphpBB2/files/puddy.jpg[/img]

Ask the b-ball!

• i feel you phil, but i am sure you remember the drama that went with having one of these jackets...kinda like the leather bombers and sheep skin coats of the late 70's and early 80's..but damn i always though that 8 balls jackets were super weak. i rather see polo rugby's and guess jeans come back with the brown polo boots!!

i feel you phil, but i am sure you remember the drama that went with having one of these jackets...kinda like the leather bombers and sheep skin coats of the late 70's and early 80's..but damn i always though that 8 balls jackets were super weak. i rather see polo rugby's and guess jeans come back with the brown polo boots!!

Yeah, Amir... I rocked my share of trendy styles back then but NEVER got down with the 8 balls. I just knew that those schitts were gonna come and go real quick and end up being the epitome of . During that era I was sportin' the full length goose coats with the fur collars (remember those?) and also the full length NFL Starter coats, but no 8-balls. Give me the timeless schitt anyday- peacoats, Woolrichs, etc. Pretty much anything fly from an army-navy store

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    damn better break the skidz out

• i def. remember the starter joints u speak about, but i used to rock the army jackets back then I transformed to the columbia jackets and peacoats...ah the good old days. rememeber the columbia rain jackets with the rain pants that cats used to rock..lol!

My homeboy has pictures of me backstage at a MC Hammer concert circa 1989 rockin' yellow plaid Skidz with a Just Ice-style hat and beads. He has threatened to blackmail me with this schitt on several occassions

i def. remember the starter joints u speak about, but i used to rock the army jackets back then I transformed to the columbia jackets and peacoats...ah the good old days. rememeber the columbia rain jackets with the rain pants that cats used to rock..lol!

Ahhhhhh yeah, i remember those! Dag, I forgot about that Columbia schitt! That was a little later, around 92 or 93 wasn't it? I was buying Columbia everything for a minute. I remember I had on a damn Columbia sweatsuit at the 1st Source Awards at the Garden, some dudes was snappin' on me real bad like "this n***a ready for easter!" LOL!!!!

• yeah, i think the columbia jackets were 92 or 93, but that was my shit for a minute until I discovered north face. you're right if 8 ball jackets come bak then the real shit should come bak. bak when cats were stuck up on the subway...no i ain't advocating violence for those who i think i am, but that's just how it was! when NYC was NYC!!!!

• Did I already miss the era where people tried to dress like this again:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I thought the 8-Ball joints were straight Me, I was more of the preppy b-boy type in the late 80's/early 90's. I was rockin' the Structure or American Outfitter rugby pullovers (or the Gap colored button-down oxford shirts), the huge H.I.S or Structure jeans, bugle-boy leather oxfords or boots, and a bubble-phat goose or leather on the coat-tip. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the ivy-leaguer on the dome (after I cut my 5-inch Nefertiti high-top to a short fro). Before that era (early/mid 80's), I was on the striped-Lees, adidas suit, lettered sweatshirt (Beatmaster P/Roc Raiders crew) and sneaker vibe. Those were some wild times.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Did I already miss the era where people tried to dress like this again:

Stand up Detroit!! This clip is from 'The Scene', a black dance show from the 80's that aired on WGPR, Detroit. They still run episodes of it occasionally on public access. That shit is bananas. For anyone wondering, the song in the vid is 'Sharevari' by A Number of Names, and is generally considered the first techno record to come outta Detroit.

HOLY SCHITT!!!! LOL!!! Yo, everybody from back in the early 80's will try to front like it was all about the lees & shelltoe ah-dee-dahs & kangols, but here's the real deal: only the hardcore b-boy cats in the NYC area were dressing like that, and that was only a relatively small amount of people. Damn near EVERYBODY ELSE (I'm talking about black people, of course) was lookin' like these dudes in this youtube vid! Which is to say that everybody was lookin' reeeeeeeeeeeal . Just like Charlie Murphy said it in that Prince skit on the Chappelle Show! I can't front, I rocked my b-boy schitt but I have to admit in '82 I was sportin' a shag and skinny ties, too! Hey, you had to do what you had to do to pull the ladies. I was NOT gonna rock the eyeliner like some muthafuckas was actually doing back then- ULTIMATE

Thank god Run DMC put an end to all of that bullschitt

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Phill,

I forgot about that steelo. You ain't have to pull my card like that. In junior high, I WAS rockin the slack, shirt, and tie steeze trying to pick up chicks. That shit ended in 1984. But, I NEVER rocked a jheri-curl. I always kept it natural, low brush cut in that era, with the circular wave-pattern. I had the lifetime supply of and a doo-rag back then. That damn forehead line wouldn't go away until about 2nd period.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

My homeboy has pictures of me backstage at a MC Hammer concert circa 1989 rockin' yellow plaid Skidz with a Just Ice-style hat and beads. He has threatened to blackmail me with this schitt on several occassions

My buddy had free passes for A Hammer show at the Stabler arena in '89... I passed (my skidz were'nt baggy enough to do the hammer dance)...I remember having a pair of skidz and the football players were busting on me, asking why I wore my pj's out. I came back at them with some witty comment and they wanted to kill me. Ahhh back in the dayz.......

• ah shit..the murrays!!!!!!! i stayed with my brush 24/7 tryin' to get the crispy waves!!!

Hey Phill,

I forgot about that steelo. You ain't have to pull my card like that. In junior high, I WAS rockin the slack, shirt, and tie steeze trying to pick up chicks. That shit ended in 1984. But, I NEVER rocked a jheri-curl. I always kept it natural, low brush cut in that era, with the circular wave-pattern. I had the lifetime supply of and a doo-rag back then. That damn forehead line wouldn't go away until about 2nd period.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No doubt!

"Hons always wave cuz I'm slick like Nu Nile"

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Biker shorts on a dude must be the ultimate 90-91 NAGL. Give me acid wash jeans every day and twice on Sunday instead.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I thought the 8-Ball joints were straight Me, I was more of the preppy b-boy type in the late 80's/early 90's/00-'07

Some real strugglin cats never got rid of their OG 8-Ball Jackets. I saw a cat wearin an all-black version w/ the white 8 symbol. Or some 40 year old still rockin a bad knockoff version w/ a dayglo green Newport painters hat.

If it comes back, itll be the youngins doin the Retro thang. That's not the thang to revive.

I was sportin skinny leather ties and shag cut for a quick minute.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

thank you for posting this. made my day.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What year is that? Money couldnt be doin the Robot in the mid-80's right? Im thinkin 81-83 steez.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    He says the date at the very beginning of the clip. 1982.

• ASK THE EIGHTBALL!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    my mom had one of these jackets (40 year old women) kinda

Columbia trend that brings me back

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

I just love this clip. This takes me back when my brother - 12 years my senior - was like god to me. I used to watch this shit with him way back when.

R.I.P. The Scene and New Dance Show. Detroit's version of Soul Train in the 80s.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    gambit, you're avatar is what's really.

Remember Helly Hanson?

• Options
    I saw a cat wearin an all-black version w/ the white 8 symbol.

Saw the same one on Long Island three days ago, dude getting off the bus from Queens. Also saw one a couple weeks ago at the mall.