Advice (Broken Record Related)

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone ever, in the history of recording on plastic, been able to take two pieces of a broken record and attach them together so that it plays? I bought a record off Ebay, 45 of "Mr. Big Stuff" and dude just put it in a USPS envelope, no cover or anything inside to keep it intact and unbent and of course, it arrived in two pieces. He was cool enough to send me a list of his other 45s to pick one from to replace and he also refunded my $$ so, he was cool, just sort of clueless. It's a clean break and looks like I could make it work but was wondering if this is futile or if anyone has successfully performed this operation? Granted its not a stupid hard record to find, but I happened across it and I want it to work!Your pal,King Otto

Comments

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    I have an LP that has a hairline fracture and when it plays you can hear the needle falling just a little bit. You can't really see the break on the record unless you play it and figure out where it is. I'd say your 45 is probably toast, but maybe someone else has repaired a record successfully.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    For the amount of time and effort it would take to
    try (and most certainly fail) to repair the 45, you
    could just go buy another one for $2.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Has anyone ever, in the history of recording on plastic, been able to take two pieces of a broken record and attach them together so that it plays?

Didn't K in Canada claim to be able to do this?

In light of subsequent developments, though...