Digging with a baby

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I'm know I'm not the only one who's done this.

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

guilty.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    saying

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    odub, that is the cutest picture.

When my son was really small id have him in th efrontpack, then when he graduated to the stroller id leave it outside the stores and sit him in a crate Odub style.

problem is the little guy cant sit still, i call him wiggley worm; so id end up pulling a couple dollerbin terds and let him play with them when i got my dig on.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I plan to. Isn't this why they created baby slings?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    odub, that is the cutest picture.

• I'm know I'm not the only one who's done this.

here here

although digging with a toddler is more traumatic

especially when they got one in the chamber

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I'm know I'm not the only one who's done this.

here here

although digging with a toddler is more traumatic

especially when they got one in the chamber

lol

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    guilty as charged. Now it's harder to go digging with my 7 year old because she bitches and moans too much.

• The first time I went ot WFMU I took my kid who was two at the time. I didn't know what I was in for, first off she fell asleep right off the bat so I was doing the one armed dig with the kid sleeping on my shoulder. I got through an hour and then I just couldn't dig anymore, no strength left. Some dealer had his daughters with him and they were beggin to hold my child while I dug through the crates, but as a paranoid New Yorker ain't no way that was going down. So she finally wakes up and realizes she's in a big room with a bunch of record geeks. She starts crying but get her to calm down and we hit up a bunch of tables together, it was quite fun and I would buy her one child's record from every table we hit that had a section. She ended up with more records than me! A good thing was they also have a mini carousel at WFMU which she rode and loved. It was actually a great time!
    I once took her (when she was three or four) to the flea, in the afternoon of course not at the crack of dawn with the rest of the weirdoes, and she HATED it, screamed, cried, threw a fit, never again.
    Now that she's six I take her to the stores with me and she's pretty cool. Usually I'll buy her some skittles and she just looks at the flyers, sits where there are chairs or benches and waits patiently. The key is keeping her distracted and still, also plan a reward for the end, if they start misbehaving you can threaten to take the reward away and, at least mine, behaves well.

in the afternoon of course not at the crack of dawn with the rest of the weirdoes

lol. It took a while to get to it but it was worth it.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    My brother and I went digging. Wifey told him to take the kid so at 6am we was diggin at the local flea: rekkids, 1 year old niece and dudes talking about their failed rehab efforts (brother was freaking out). It was great...!

• cosign O-dizzles pic.

I learnt alot from my daughter who's now 7. currently going through everything that worked with her with my son, although, with a new lady, she's waaaaay more understanding and usually will give me up to 25 minutes in any store.........

but;

a baby's way easier than a toddler.

front back packs suck.
    those backpacks that hold your baby are the best hands down. if you sway, they still feel like they are moving, plus, they can see over your shoulder, so they're feeling "big like daddy"---------easy.

My current girl makes slings, so if anyone needs one, hollerate.

I think they are uncomfortable, and look wack on men. get with the backpack. but chicks love em----plus, they look good on females in an egyptian-hippy sorta way.

Toddlers, forget about it, unless you can let them run around the store, or you are mad fit and can carry a toddler in a backpack...

BUT, THAT DOLLAR BIN IDEA IS GOLDEN. I am def going to try that.
    I gave my daughter a fisher price turntable and some records when she was 2. she destroyed that shit. literally. every record I gave her was toast.

Have botttles. or something they can eat, be preoccupied with.
    if they fall asleep in the strooller, you are all good till they wake up and realize they're in the same boring place.
    falling asleep in the backpack is good, cuz they wake up to the bird's eye view.

just my experience.

will try dollar bin idea soon, thanks nz!

• Now that she's six I take her to the stores with me and she's pretty cool. Usually I'll buy her some skittles and she just looks at the flyers, sits where there are chairs or benches and waits patiently. The key is keeping her distracted and still, also plan a reward for the end, if they start misbehaving you can threaten to take the reward away and, at least mine, behaves well.

cosign. once she was about 4, she was easy as cake. all about the reward "

you want some hot chocolate or ice cream after we look at records?"

never failed. she kept her mind on the prize.

its really funny to read about a bunch of grown men scheming up ways to trick their little kids into behaving while they dig for records.

in a good way. you're all so proud of the ways you've outsmarted them.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I have to agree this baby looks a lot more comfortable than the one in my record bag.

• its really funny to read about a bunch of grown men scheming up ways to trick their little kids into behaving while they dig for records.

in a good way. you're all so proud of the ways you've outsmarted them.

Nah, its not outsmarting them its rewards and positive reinforcement, parenting 101.

• I gave my daughter a fisher price turntable and some records when she was 2. she destroyed that shit. literally. every record I gave her was toast.

Santa brought my daughter a big bird portable and 45s, in two weeks she destroyed that shit. Like pressing down on the needle when the record was playing, oh man, complete loss.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

I have to agree this baby looks a lot more comfortable than the one in my record bag.

lol

pics please!

Wait, you're onto something. Combo baby carrier/record bag. Plus a matching diaper bag... for terds.

What's with the dookie humor on the Strut today?

Wait, you're onto something. Combo baby carrier/record bag. Plus a matching diaper bag... for terds.

I don't see how this could make us any less than 10 million dollars. I'll start the patent application, you go round up some babies for testing.

I don't see how this could make us any less than 10 million dollars. I'll start the patent application, you go round up some babies for testing.

Working on one right now!

Working on one right now!

Excellent

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    id end up pulling a couple dollerbin terds and let him play with them when i got my dig on.

Here is the dollar bin method in action with my 2 year old daughter Beezus!

She's a natural!

I also recommend stocking your record shelves with turds in the front, about 10 is good,
    that way they can pull them off and do whatever they want with them.
    Parents listen up!
    No Starks at the front of the stack!

when my daughter was a toddler she would throw my cd's around. I didn't care too much. When she got near my records, I let out a great big "NO" and she respected my vinyl. This of course took a lot of work but it was worth it. When all was said and done she got to only one of my records. Soundbwoy volume 2 has some crayon patina now. You just gotta stay diligent with them.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    when my daughter was a toddler she would throw my cd's around. I didn't care too much. When she got near my records, I let out a great big "NO" and she respected my vinyl. This of course took a lot of work but it was worth it. When all was said and done she got to only one of my records. Soundbwoy volume 2 has some crayon patina now. You just gotta stay diligent with them.

Yeah she's been pretty good about them for quite some time, she has a bunch of her own records
    so she doesn't need mine anymore.

Soundbwoy 2 huh? At least she recognized a bootleg when she saw one!

Yeah she's been pretty good about them for quite some time, she has a bunch of her own records
    so she doesn't need mine anymore.

Soundbwoy 2 huh? At least she recognized a bootleg when she saw one!

all that baby food makes it tough to afford the non boot version of greedy g

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I also recommend stocking your record shelves with turds in the front, about 10 is good,
    that way they can pull them off and do whatever they want with them.
    Parents listen up!
    No Starks at the front of the stack!