WACK New eBay Policy on Viewing Bidders

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a blow to sellers
    trying to protect themselves against fraudulent bidding

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

How are we going to get our clown on now? Reynaldo can bid on a replica Bjoran earcuff communicator and none of us will even know it.

• man, this tampers with one of my side hustles.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a blow to sellers

It will also be tougher to figure out (as a buyer) if you're a victim of a seller using a shill as well

• As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a blow to sellers

how does this promote fraudulent bidding? I don't get it...

although it does effect legitimate sellers though by not allowing a follow up sale to someone else's auction which kind of blows.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Damn, this is some REAL BULLSH*T.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, I had a RIF moment, I thought it was saying even
    sellers couldn't see the bidders until auction's end...

..never mind...

• It will also be tougher to figure out (as a buyer) if you're a victim of a seller using a shill as well

you're right, this is a boon to shady sellers everwhere.

shill bidding ahoy!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Never mind. I misread the policy.

Which auctions does this affect? Is there a price threshold that, when passed, kicks it into blind mode?

Well, it appears that some auctions still appear how they used to...so maybe it's just an updated feature that the seller can select? I'm not quite sure, yet.

Anyone else know the deal?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Bogus!
    I contact people all the time to let them know I have stuff they might be
    interested in.
    But no longer....
    Somebody needs to start an auction site just for vinyl, dammit!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, it appears that some auctions still appear how they used to...so maybe it's just an updated feature that the seller can select? I'm not quite sure, yet.

Trew just had a bunch of auctions up. I noticed that only his raer was Blinded, and that was over $200. I'm guessing that there is a price trigger.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Bogus!
    interested in.
    But no longer....

I'm guessing that this is the real reason eBay is undergoing this change in policy - the potential of lost revenue. Apparently, you are one of the "bad guys."

Trew just had a bunch of auctions up. I noticed that only his raer was Blinded, and that was over $200. I'm guessing that there is a price trigger.

Yeah...$200 looks like the right number. Somewhere in Italy marcofunk is cackling.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

How are we going to get our clown on now? Reynaldo can bid on a replica Bjoran earcuff communicator and none of us will even know it.

Who do you think is that mastermind behind all of this? It's like the Smoke-Filled Room; Marcofunk and Rey chillin' up in the Blackstone Hotel.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Word. Fuck eBay, that shit has been downhill for quite some time and this is end of the line for me.

Bogus!
    interested in.
    But no longer....

I'm guessing that this is the real reason eBay is undergoing this change in policy - the potential of lost revenue. Apparently, you are one of the "bad guys."

I don't really do shit outside the bay (too often that it is), I
    would just tell people about things I had listed,
    that they had bid upon previously.
    In an attempt to get more bids and $$$,
    which they take a generous cut of on Ebay and
    Pay Pal.
    So what's the problem, everybody wins.
    But no longer...

• Looks like they put the kibosh on searching by ended auctions by bidder name too.

This part is actually totally cool by me tho.

• Bogus!
    interested in.
    But no longer....

I don't really do shit outside the bay (too often that it is), I
    In an attempt to get more bids and $$$,
    which they take a generous cut of on Ebay and
    Pay Pal.
    So what's the problem, everybody wins.
    But no longer...

same, just did it this week and had $300 in sales ON EBAY because of it! this is just stupid that they are doing this, i often write people to let them know when i see they lost a bid for something i am selling..

you sure this is how it is from now on?

glad i read this, ebay really has just been effing about this last year, 2 price hikes to regular listings in one year, changes on peoples stores and all kinds of crap.

where else is there to go though? gemm?

Ebay is the only game around, so either play their game, or get shit for your records.
    It's the only place you'll get to record fiends that are willing to pay top $$$ for
    a record and drive the price way up.
    I hate some of Ebay new policies, but for someone like me, with a small time hustle as far
    as records go, it's still head and shoulders above any other method.

• i??m through with ebay selling since they won??t answer my mail and i can??t pay my fees (I WANT TO, they don??t accept my creditcards - both perfectly working otherwise - no problem before) and i now have fees overdue and they don??t answer my help questions.

http://www.groovecollector.com/

• maybe if all places like Soulstrut, Waxidermy, Vinyl Vulture, GaragePunk, SoulSource, the Fryer board, GrooveCollector, ModCulture, any progforum i don??t know of, well people who like 60s-70s music all joined together and started an own auctionsite.

Smaller fees, less crap, well ebay but improved.

• Bogus!
    interested in.
    I

I met a really good contact that way. He e-mailed me by accident (I had one the item, and he accidentally e-mailed me saying he had the same record for sale) but I ended up buying mad library records off of him over a 3 month time period that I had been after.

WITHOUT EBAY. just straight on rep...So, I guess they're protecting themselves, as they didn't make a dime, but it's wack.

wack
    wack
    wack

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

How are we going to get our clown on now? Reynaldo Fuegocracker can bid on a replica Bjoran earcuff communicator Gaultier Scarf Raer and hair mousse and none of us will even know it.