Kanye West Gets Reality Show on HBO

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Rapper Kanye West walks with HBO on reality show[/b]Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:10 AM ETBy Kimberly NordykeLOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Rapper Kanye West will star in a reality series that HBO is developing with "Borat" director Larry Charles, sources said.The as-yet-untitled project is said to focus on a day in what is described as the crazy, hectic life of the Grammy-winning artist. HBO declined comment.West, a music producer-turned-rapper, has released two multiplatinum albums -- 2004's "The College Dropout" and 2005's "Late Registration" -- that yielded five Grammys.West is also set to star in a feature film inspired by his music. The New Line Cinema project will present a multiperspective portrait of the United States as seen through the eyes of West and several filmmakers.Charles, a veteran of "Seinfeld" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm," previously directed another musical icon, Bob Dylan, in the 2003 feature "Masked and Anonymous."Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    im going to have to add this to the list of shows HBO made a mistake with

Arliss
    Extras
    Sex and the City
    That Lisa Kudrow thing
    Kanye

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    what a time for my first :

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Arliss
    Extras
    Sex and the City[/b]
    That Lisa Kudrow thing
    Kanye

Yeah, "Sex & the City" really didn't work out

Arliss
    Extras
    Sex and the City[/b]
    That Lisa Kudrow thing
    Kanye

well...it wasnt an HBO "revenue" mistake. it was a mistake because i didnt like it haha.

• im going to have to add this to the list of shows HBO made a mistake with

Arliss
    Extras
    Sex and the City[/b]
    That Lisa Kudrow thing
    Kanye

well...it wasnt an HBO "revenue" mistake. it was a mistake because i didnt like it haha.

agreed.

Hey, I never saw an episode.

I just know it was ubiquitous - and a ca$h cow for HBO.

Hey, I never saw an episode.

I just know it was ubiquitous - and a ca$h cow for HBO.

i know its for the cash. but if i ran HBO id play reruns of "Dream On" instead

• don't forget Rome

that shit stinks

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Larry Charles[/b]
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Larry Charles (1956 - ) is an American television writer, director and producer. He was a staff writer for the American television sitcom Seinfeld through 1994, contributing some of the show's darkest and most absurd early storylines.

Born in 1956 in Brooklyn, New York, Charles performed stand-up comedy in the 1970s until he was hired to write for Fridays, a sketch comedy show. Later, he became a writer for the show Seinfeld.

Although series co-creators Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld wrote the bulk of the show's episodes during the first five seasons, it was Charles who penned such classics as:

* "The Baby Shower", featuring a dream sequence in which undercover agents shoot and kill Jerry for stealing cable

* "The Library", in which Jerry is hunted down for a 20-year overdue copy of Tropic of Cancer

* "The Subway", where George skips a job interview for a woman (played by Barbara Stock) he meets on the subway, who ends up tying him up and robbing him.

* "The Heart Attack", where George has an allergic reaction to an alternative medicine and literally turns purple.

* "The Limo", where Jerry and George are misidentified as neo-nazis.

* "The Trip", where Kramer is sought by police in connections to a serial killing.

* "The Opera," where Jerry and Elaine are stalked by a psychotic man with a love for Pagliacci,

* "The Outing," the episode in which Jerry and George are mistaken for gay
    lovers, popularizing the phrase "not that there's anything wrong with that"

Charles went on to write for such shows as Mad About You and Entourage, as well as directing and producing episodes of Larry David's new series Curb Your Enthusiasm. Charles was a producer on the superhero show The Tick. Prior to Seinfeld, Charles wrote for the Arsenio Hall show.

He was executive producer (with Scott Adams) of the acclaimed but short-lived Dilbert animated series. Charles co-wrote many episodes with Adams and others. Charles directed and co-wrote Masked and Anonymous, starring Bob Dylan, and is involved in the production of a yet to be released National Lampoon film This is America.

Larry Charles is said to be a fan of the comedy team of Abbott and Costello and the crime show Dragnet, which was the inspiration for Lt. Bookman, in "The Library".[citation needed]

In 2006, Larry Charles was executive producer of the HBO hit show Entourage and directed the controversial mockumentary comedy film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, released in November 2007, which has so far grossed over $230 million.

"Dream On"

LOL "Dream On" was one of the last shows to follow
    what I used to call the "HBO Method" - the simple
    formula was to create a generic sitcom/drama/action/mystery
    show, just like anything on network TV on any given night,
    and simply add 10 swear words and one scene of bare breasts ...

... and voila! HBO Original Entertainment!

H[/b]ave B[/b]oobs O[/b]nscreen

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I actually think we might be in for a treat with this.

I mean come on, dudes on here are creaming their jeans about The White Rapper Show.

• oh wait the worst has gotta be what's his name from Dream On's follow up show Married something

that was truly awful

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I actually think we might be in for a treat with this.

I mean come on, dudes on here are creaming their jeans about The White Rapper Show.

for the sheer self-depricating moments of kanye's life, ill watch it.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    dnice: sars is gonna knock knock on your phone.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Arliss
    Extras
    Sex and the City
    That Lisa Kudrow thing
    Kanye

sorry but i can't let this go without publicly strongly disagreeing with you...
    EXTRAS IS GREAT. get familiarrr

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Arliss
    Extras
    Sex and the City
    That Lisa Kudrow thing
    Kanye

sorry but i can't let this go without publicly strongly disagreeing with you...
    EXTRAS IS GREAT. get familiarrr

I know man, Extras killed it, Gervais is a genius.
    I have to admit I watched every damn Sex and the City episode on DVD
    and I'd do it again.
    Not mind blowing but solid entertainment and I don't care who calls
    me ghey.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Arliss
    Extras[/b]
    Sex and the City
    That Lisa Kudrow thing
    Kanye

Not to over do it but....

Blashpemy, have you seen the show? Not as classic as the og Office, but that show is the jawn. Commericials for the new season running during the daily show look hilarious, with David Bowie: "Little fat man who sold his soul..."

Shitting on extras

• I know man, Extras killed it, Gervais is a genius.
    Episode 1 of the Second Season is On Demand right now. FUNNIEST SHIT I HAVE SEEN ON HBO....EVER.

• I know man, Extras killed it, Gervais is a genius.
    Episode 1 of the Second Season is On Demand right now. FUNNIEST SHIT I HAVE SEEN ON HBO....EVER.

Oh, jesus...I didn't see Extras on that list.
    I have never laughed so hard at TV as I did at the premiere episode with Kate Winslett. "Oh, and CONDOMS...jeesh...Let the loving seed of love flow freely!" EXTRAS is funny.

• I have never laughed so hard at TV as I did at the premiere episode with Kate Winslett. "Oh, and CONDOMS...jeesh...Let the loving seed of love flow freely!" EXTRAS is funny.

In the same episode, when he wears that disco suit to the prayer meeting? Oh man, I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.