Roberto Roena "Que se sepa" question

frankynipplezfrankynipplez 410 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I just noticed this track is on both his albums 5 and 6..Is it the same track or both different versions? I hope you guys can help me out, thanks!

Comments

• Different versions, the one on 5 is blazing, the one on 6 not so much.

beg to differ. not about the tracks being different, but about the blazification factor. True, the breakbeat aspect is missing, but as far as tight funky arrangement and danceability goeas, the latter version is just as apt for the dance floor. Then again, if you don't dig salsa, it's prolly not for you...

Plus, 6 has the track "Tradicion" which is another dramatic floor filler, it also has perhaps the only recorded FART sound I've ever heard on a latin lp.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Not so breakbeaty, but the Conjunto Universal has an awesome version of Que Se Sepa on their album of the same name, on the Velvet label.

• Man i love soulstrut..you guys rock! thanks for the

That Conjunto Universal sounds interresting..mp3 by any chance?

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I happen to be at home sick

but it does give me a chance to record the track for you

Conjunto Universal - Que Se Sepa

• I happen to be at home sick

woah, never heard that version. nice looks. I'mma spin that tonight! cheers.

• Appollo 5 and que se sepa is tasty but dont sleep on appollo 1 for breaks style latin soul cover tracks, sing a simple song and spinning wheel. Also Appollo 2 has heavy heavy latin jazz number 'puerto rican blues' which is a killer and another latin soul track 'shades of time' which has nice almost break drums... Also his fist LP on Alegre has an alright version of 'Take 5', he done plent of weaker shit so i thought i'd post and send you in the right direction IMO cheers, frank parry

• Also his fist LP on Alegre has an alright version of 'Take 5'

I always think it's funny when people do a cover of "Take Five" and change the time signature so that it's not in 5/4 anymore. If I remember correctly, the roena version is straight ahead 4/4. I've heard this a few times... including a recent encounter with a steel pan dood in the subway. That's kinda the whole point of the song.

• I happen to be at home sick

Sooks your the man..This version is

thanks and get well soon!

beg to differ. not about the tracks being different, but about the blazification factor. True, the breakbeat aspect is missing, but as far as tight funky arrangement and danceability goeas, the latter version is just as apt for the dance floor. Then again, if you don't dig salsa, it's prolly not for you...

Plus, 6 has the track "Tradicion" which is another dramatic floor filler, it also has perhaps the only recorded FART sound I've ever heard on a latin lp.

You can have whatever opinion you want on the track in question, taste is subjective. I honestly could care less about a breakbeat, the song on the whole in 5 is blazing. The version on 6 has a tight arrangement, it was arranged by Bobby Valentin after all, but funky? Not at all.

• Appollo 5 and que se sepa is tasty but dont sleep on appollo 1 for breaks style latin soul cover tracks, sing a simple song and spinning wheel. Also Appollo 2 has heavy heavy latin jazz number 'puerto rican blues' which is a killer and another latin soul track 'shades of time' which has nice almost break drums... Also his fist LP on Alegre has an alright version of 'Take 5', he done plent of weaker shit so i thought i'd post and send you in the right direction IMO cheers, frank parry

I know "Shades of time" from that New Yorican Funk Experience comp such a great track!

I really need Apollo 1,2 and 5 in my life so if anyone has them for sale holler!!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Man i love soulstrut..you guys rock! thanks for the

i love this place.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Also Appollo 2 has heavy heavy latin jazz number 'puerto rican blues' which is a killer and another latin soul track 'shades of time' which has nice almost break drums...

This is my favorite Roberto Roena LP... at least of those that I've had before.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    #5 is the one you want

that straight real latin shit