Another Race Thread! Latino/Black Problems

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I hate it when journalists take up socio-political subjects from a soc.science perspective "social distance is the...

seriously this is the equivalent of a wikipedia essay in 9th grade

You do realize that Hernandez is a professor though, right? (Not that I find her "scholarship" in her op-ed piece severely lacking).

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    that times shit is crap...
    mexicans & blacks have never really got along in so cal, has NOTHING To do w/ social class, its a prison thang... the me*ican Maf*a recently issued an order from high in their ranks that blacks have the green light, which is why you see so many brown on black crimes going down, more so than in the past...
    most if not all so. cal gang race shit stems from prison orders...
    when it comes to this shit out here...

So when my black students were complaining about Mexicans taking over Oakland a couple years ago it was because the Mexican and black prison gangs are going to war with each other?

last i checked Oaktown wasnt in So. Cal... & in SO CAL the black/hispanic thing is a prison thing...
    sorry your reports don't touch the subject, but if people really knew the real maybe shit would change, & if the aclu wasnt such morons to actually let CALIFORNIA prisons segregate the problem will get worse b4 it gets better... i could go into a breakdown about it, but on soulstrut just not worth my time arguing w/ a bunch of dudes who's main street cred is watching the wire...

What I'm trying to say that this is a growing level of animosity and distrust between the groups and much of it doesn not have to do with gangs. I talked about the political problems in Compton. That happened in the 1990s. How about the NPR interview with the black dudes over the Latino mayor of LA? Were they gang related? There may be violence right now on the streets of LA that is related to prison activities I don't know, but is that the WHOLE story on black-Latino animosity? There's a bigger picture that I'm trying to touch on.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I hate it when journalists take up socio-political subjects from a soc.science perspective "social distance is the...

You do realize that Hernandez is a professor though, right? (Not that I find her "scholarship" in her op-ed piece severely lacking).

alright my bad (ironicaly guilty of my own bad background check)

still i find he over vulgarizes and leaves the reader confused or following the wrong path

mexicans & blacks have never really got along in so cal, has NOTHING To do w/ social class, its a prison thang... the me*ican Maf*a recently issued an order from high in their ranks that blacks have the green light, which is why you see so many brown on black crimes going down, more so than in the past...

So when my black students were complaining about Mexicans taking over Oakland a couple years ago it was because the Mexican and black prison gangs are going to war with each other?

last i checked Oaktown wasnt in So. Cal... & in SO CAL the black/hispanic thing is a prison thing...
    sorry your reports don't touch the subject, but if people really knew the real maybe shit would change, & if the aclu wasnt such morons to actually let CALIFORNIA prisons segregate the problem will get worse b4 it gets better... i could go into a breakdown about it, but on soulstrut just not worth my time arguing w/ a bunch of dudes who's main street cred is watching the wire...

What I'm trying to say that this is a growing level of animosity and distrust between the groups and much of it doesn not have to do with gangs. I talked about the political problems in Compton. That happened in the 1990s. How about the NPR interview with the black dudes over the Latino mayor of LA? Were they gang related? There may be violence right now on the streets of LA that is related to prison activities I don't know, but is that the WHOLE story on black-Latino animosity? There's a bigger picture that I'm trying to touch on.

sorry man your just wrong on this one, do some research & get back to me on so cal black/brown relations & when you find the shit that popped it all off lemme know, i would love to enlighten you on it but for many reasons just not gonna happen, done with this thread...

Tell me how the dispute in Compton over control of the city government and patronage between Latinos and blacks was related to prison gangs.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I watched a National Geographic documentary on this.

The definition of

• that times shit is crap...

sorry man your just wrong on this one, do some research & get back to me on so cal black/brown relations & when you find the shit that popped it all off lemme know, i would love to enlighten you on it but for many reasons just not gonna happen, done with this thread...

Tell me how the dispute in Compton over control of the city government and patronage between Latinos and blacks was related to prison gangs.

that's simple. its most likely not related to prison gangs. but then, this is 2007, not 1990. and the article in question is about current relations.

"The mayor is black. The City Council is black. There is not a single Latino represntative on the council," complains John Lopez, 52, a Mexican American electrician who grew up in El Paso and moved to Compton when his dad took a job at a nearby McDonnell-Douglas plant. "There's no one to represent the Latino community."

While Hispanic activists blame the city's black political establishment for refusing to share power, there are other reasons Latinos hold few top positions.

By some accounts, more than half of Compton's Latinos are noncitizens with no voting rights. Of the 37,000 registered voeters, Latino activists saw fewer than 8,000 are Latino. By contrast, African Americans are regular voters and by and large elect black candidates.

"Representation is not based on population," ays the city's outspoken mayor, Omar Bradley, who Latino actists accuse of giving preferential treatment to blacks in appointments and city jobs. "Representation, as far as elected representation is concerned, is based on participation. And for the large part of the last three decades, Latino participation has not been extremely high."

In less than a decade, blacks have gone from a majority to a minority population in Compton. In 1990, African Americans made up more than half of the city's residents. By 1999, according to new estimates, blacks composed just 40 percent of the population, and Latinos made up close to 60 percent.

If anyone in the city has been the lightning rod for the anger of Latino activists it's Bradley, a brash, 41-year old former English teacher, who is as thick as a body builder and favors expensive suits and bow ties.

Activists say Bradley promised the Hispanic community if they helped elect him in 1993, he would name a Latino - Pedro Pallan - to fill his vacated seat on the City Council. After winning, they say he reneged and backed an African American.

Bradley says the Latino he supported "couldn't get the votes on the council." He took his second choice, a black man.

"I felt betrayed. I felt the community was betrayed," says Pallan, 66, a former Navy enlisted man who still has the tattoos from port stops in Hong Kong and Tokyo. He now backs an effort to recall Bradley, alleging he has misused the office for personal gain.

The struggle for power at City Hall has exacerbated tensions betweens blacks and Latinos, which flashed publicly in 1994 after a black cop was caught on amatuer video clubbing an unarmed Latino teenager with a baton. The beating sparked an outcry among Latinos similar to the Rodney King case and spurred calls for more Latino cops in a department that was 60 percent African American.

But longtime black residents chafe at the political demands of Latinos, many of whom didn't arrive until the late 1970s and 1980s. Many older African Americans say Latinos don't recognize how long it took blacks to win power in Compton - and at what cost.

- Excerpts from "A New California, A growing Latino presence in Compton shows signs of reshaping culture, politics," San Francisco Examiner, 1999.

(Any typos are mine)

alright my bad (ironicaly guilty of my own bad background check)

still i find he over vulgarizes and leaves the reader confused or following the wrong path

SHE, not "he."

requisite get familiar pointer.

• im pretty disconnected from academia. but i dont mind.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

quick question: if Mexico had the highest concentration of Africans in Latin America around 1800, why do citizens of African descent now only make up 1% of the population?

theyve merged through breeding into the largely mestizo population...the closer you get to the Caribbean, the more likely you will come across Mexicans with clearly African features...
    I think they must have meant Brasil. Brasil has (or had) the largest African population outside of Africa.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Omar Bradley

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    requisite get familiar pointer.

Something about that video felt strange...not sure how much I trust Mr. Policeman to school me about this. Dude supports minutemen: http://www.fulldisclosure.net/Programs/479-480.php

I don't mean to side-swipe the prison-gang issue, but I found this analysis of the original article interesting:

http://www.urbanonramps.com/?p=344

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    any blacks or mexicans from socal care to chime in (like the intro to crooklyn dodgers)?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    In short, D*e* is right.. the origins and "random" murders are directly connected to Prison shit ....But the Schools,judicial system,politicians,Koreans,welfare system,unemployment,banks and L.A.P.D also share blame in supporting and even creating tension.

That is all