Eats in D.C.

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I'm going to be in Washington D.C. this weekend. Hitting the town family style. My wife was looking for places to eat in the Georgetown/Capital Hill area. Every place she looked up does brunch on the weekend. What's good????? Not feeling brunch. Any suggestions would be sweet. Also if I get a chance to sneak out are there any decent record shops in that area?? I'll check the phonebook when I get there. This weekend is about the kids but maybe I can power shop at a record store. Is that too much to ask?

Comments

• Georgetown has Old Glory which is a dope ass Barbeque spot. Right on M street (that is the main strip that runs through georgetown). It is about a block down from Wisconsin and M. Right before the Urban Outfitters (big ass clothing store).

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    yea!! I'm a big fan of bbq

• Wow, you're coming at just the right time!

IT'S RESTAURANT WEEK!

• Som Records @ 14th & T st is the best shop in town...owned by Strutter Neville C

Right next to Cafe Saint Ex which has pretty good food (although not the most kid friendly and a little pricey)

I'm actually not a huge fan of Old Glory, but if you are with kids it is a safe bet.

Georgetown and Capital Hill are pretty lacking in restaurants, imo, but Pizza Paradiso is really good (on M st. in G-town and on P st. in Dupont). If you want a good variety of small restaurants, hit 18th St. in Adams Morgan - Rumba Cafe (latin/caribbean) is really good and so is MixTec (mexican/salvadorian), Regent (thai), Meze (tapas), Meskarem (ethiopian), San Marco (italian)...there is no shortage of good eats in DC...

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I assume you're open to all types of cuisine?? These are my personal favorites in Gtown. The Hill I don't know that well anymore.

Italian: Filomena's

Middle Eastern: Fetoosh and Fast Fetoosh (the take out part of the restaurant, a great little place to grab a shawarma or falafel sandwich)

Indian: Amma's Vegetarian Kitchen

General all purpose American fare: Sequoia's

Italian / pizza: Pizza Paradiso

Record stores: Try DJ Hut in DuPont Circle, about a 20 minute walk from the heart of Gtown, just head east on P Street starting from Wisconsin ave.

Enjoy DC!

• Everything Meistro said above is good.
    I'd add that I prefer the Dupont Circle/Adams Morgan/U Street neighborhoods to Georgetown or Capitol Hill.
    Georgetown is good for high end shopping and looking at nice houses and also has some good eats but just doesn't have enough soul to my liking.
    The Hill is good during the day with its government buildings, Union Station and Eastern Market (flea market - not so good for records but a cool place to hang out). At night the Hill just doesn't cut it.
    The three used record stores in the District are all conveniently within 10 blocks of each other (Som, my shop, at 14th and T, new shop Red Onion at 18th and T, and Crooked Beat at 18th and Belmont. Good shopping (of the non-record variety) near all three and loads of food options too.
    Have fun.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i can't speak for capital hill at all, but georgetown and surrounding areas is kinda weak unless you're a millionaire (then it's SHULAS or some shit) or you really like subway and grimey kebobs. old glory isn't what's really but i'd recommend their stoli root beer floats. as far as georgetown takeout mon cheri cafe on m is where it's at for greasy pan business. as someone mentioned you're better off going to adam's morgan or maybe dupont for food.

my favorite semisquirelish resturant in the city is the islander at 12th and u. bomb carribean and you can stop off at neal's store which is a few blocks away. there's also a stretch of good ethiopian spots up that way if that's your thing. and ben's chilli bowl which is a landmark and might be fun for youngins.

not sure where you're coming from, but if it's the north east i'd recommend avoiding italian and (especially) pizza all together.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    oh yeah amsterdam falafel on 18th in adam's morgan is my shit. also mixtec as mentioned before and up the block tacos pepitos.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i can't speak for capital hill at all, but georgetown and surrounding areas is kinda weak unless you're a millionaire (then it's SHULAS or some shit) or you really like subway and grimey kebobs. old glory isn't what's really but i'd recommend their stoli root beer floats. as far as georgetown takeout mon cheri cafe on m is where it's at for greasy pan business. as someone mentioned you're better off going to adam's morgan or maybe dupont for food.

my favorite semisquirelish resturant in the city is the islander at 12th and u. bomb carribean and you can stop off at neal's store which is a few blocks away. there's also a stretch of good ethiopian spots up that way if that's your thing. and ben's chilli bowl which is a landmark and might be fun for youngins.

not sure where you're coming from, but if it's the north east i'd recommend avoiding italian and (especially) pizza all together.

Where does one go for rap-inspired cuisine?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Where does one go for rap-inspired cuisine?

bohemian caverns?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Horace and Dickey's--fish "sandwich"

Dukem--live music and tibs

Chinatown Espress--flung noodle

Anyplace in SE or PG County for a half-smoke. Look for stores that accept ColorTyme payments and have copper scrubbers for individual sale. However, do not go in. Half-smokes should be avalable in these parking lots.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Dukem--live music and tibs

YES.

Chinatown Espress--flung noodle

NO.

thanks for the input. Hopefully I can sneak out to grab some records. Your restaurant recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Again thanks for the heads up all around. Got some good eats and vinyl treats. Hey Neville after I left your store and was on my way to the hotel I noticed at least five different guys dressed like they were going to the blue oyster (ala police academy). Was there some sort of "pride" festival??? Not that it's a big deal just kind of funny. It's not every day you see guys dressed up like that.

• Yeah it was Mid-Atlantic Leather weekend.

http://www.leatherweekend.com/

any info on the mid-atlantic velour weekend?