Flying Burrito Brothers founder Pete Klienow RIP.

OldschoolspinnaOldschoolspinna 311 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Kleinow died Saturday at a Petaluma, Calif., convalescent home near the skilled nursing facility where he had been living with Alzheimer's disease since last year, his daughter Anita Kleinow said. During a musical career that covered six decades, Kleinow helped define the country-rock genre in the late 1960s and 1970s by taking the instrument he had mastered as a teenager in South Bend, Ind., to California. His expertise with the pedal steel guitar influenced a generation of rock-and-rollers, including the Eagles, the Steve Miller Band and Poco. Besides co-founding the Burrito Brothers with the Byrds' Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons in 1968, he was also prized as a session musician, recording with such singer-songwriters as John Lennon, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell and bands as varied as the Bee Gees and Sly and the Family Stone. R.I.P. Friend

Comments

• RIP SNEAKY PETE!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I had no idea he lived/convalesced in my hood. It's fucking sad how many musicians of this era are droppin' off lately. RIP. the Burrito Bros were awesome!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    rip

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

Almost every roots, country rock, pop record recorded in LA in the 70s, he plays on.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Kleinow died Saturday at a Petaluma, Calif., convalescent home near the skilled nursing facility where he had been living with Alzheimer's disease since last year, his daughter Anita Kleinow said.

During a musical career that covered six decades, Kleinow helped define the country-rock genre in the late 1960s and 1970s by taking the instrument he had mastered as a teenager in South Bend, Ind., to California.

His expertise with the pedal steel guitar influenced a generation of rock-and-rollers, including the Eagles, the Steve Miller Band and Poco.

Besides co-founding the Burrito Brothers with the Byrds' Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons in 1968, he was also prized as a session musician, recording with such singer-songwriters as John Lennon, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell and bands as varied as the Bee Gees and Sly and the Family Stone.

R.I.P. Friend

RIP, Sneaky Pete.