This Stepshowsploitation Movie

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
A young man finds that the moves he learned on the street may help him make a better life for himself in this youth-oriented musical drama. DJ Williams (Columbus Short) is a 19-year-old growing up in Los Angeles; while DJ is at heart a good kid and a gifted street dancer, he runs with a dangerous crowd, and one night an underground dance competition turns into a brawl and DJ ends up in jail. DJ's younger brother has already died a violent death, and his mother, hoping to put him back on the straight and narrow, sends DJ off to Truth University, a historically African-American college in Atlanta. At first, DJ feels like a misfit at Truth, but when he gets a chance to show off his dancing skills, he attracts the attention of two campus fraternities. Greek life is a major presence at Truth, and each year the fraternities take part in a "stepping" competition, in which the members show off their synchronized dance moves. DJ joins the ONO house, and is eager to help them take the championship away from their campus rivals, but in time he also comes to understand the brotherhood and community service that's a key part of his fraternity's background. DJ also has more on his mind than dancing and studying when he meets April (Meagan Good), a beautiful coed. Produced under the title Steppin', Stomp the Yard also stars Ne-Yo, Brian J. White, and Jermaine Williams.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This movie seems to be like a mixture of You Got Served: The Black Version and Drum Line.

• I'M GOING TO WATCH THIS OPENING DAY AT THE MAGIC JOHNSON THEATER!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'M GOING TO WATCH THIS OPENING DAY AT THE MAGIC JOHNSON THEATER!

YOU ALREADY KNOW

You Got Served: The Black Version

To the best of my recollection, everyone in You Got Served was Black.

Except for the villainous spiked-haired "Wade" and his crew. And also the mysterious spiritual b-boy who had progressed to a zen-like level where he abstained from competition but was persuaded by the B2K boys to rock it with them one time in memory of their man that had got killed.

Uh, or so the synopsis says.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I saw the preview last night in theatres. Where's the sploitation?

• This movie seems to be like a mixture of You Got Served: The Black Version and Drum Line.

You Got Krumped?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Is this Stomp The Yard based on that dancing clown/aceyalone ish?

• You Got Served: The Black Version

Except for the villainous spiked-haired "Wade" and his crew. And also the mysterious spiritual b-boy who had progressed to a zen-like level where he abstained from competition but was persuaded by the B2K boys to rock it with them one time in memory of their man that had got killed.

• You Got Served: The Black Version

i for one am outraged at the fact that neither faux_rillz, nor the director gave ma gurl Kiki, the asian b-woman any credit in u got served.

• Meagan Good seems to figure prominently in this film. Less is more with her (Roll Bounce, for example)

I will not be seeing this one.

• Meagan Good seems to figure prominently in this film. Less is more with her (Roll Bounce, for example)

I will not be seeing this one.

you sound white like a

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    /sexist pig

less CLOTHES is more better, with her IF YA KNOW WHATIM SAYIN

/sexist pig

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This movie seems to be like a mixture of You Got Served: The Black Version and Drum Line.

You Got Krumped?

Precisely. Except this movie suffers (or perhaps benefits) from a distinct lack of Steve Harvey.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Have any of you seen the preview for the new film 'Plexin? It's kind of like Stompin in the Yard, but it's all about who can bust the illest 'Phores.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

Which is why I am seeing this shit!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When I first heard read the title I though it was this yard.

Stompin Somebody In The Yard.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Quick comment

someone i know saw it "for the dancing" and said there was not enough of it in it

secondly i am slightly annoyed with all these drumline/danceoff black culture movies but i am not mad

however, the teacher (single white actor) helps young innercity dicover themselves through art/sports be it the drama type (dnagerous minds and that new hilary swank thing) or worse even the teen/kid type (the recent antonio banderas dance one or the keanu reeves hood baseball team movie ukegraemlin:)

are worse and more annoying, in what hollywood calls "films" there is a similar concept and "racial movies" are following them since forever (bringing down the house ) (queue cultural reference "you know he did just do that to me!" "ahhh hells no!" or any other cultural catchphrase)

do not queueu however a strut race thread (see marimba thread for the strut of olde at work )

[half sarcasm] Its better when its black people doin the race stuff (next friday) or even better hiphop (DJ Pooh)[half-sarcasm/]

anywho whatever

i will finish with a universally binding line from the film preview that will encapsulate the general strut reactionary/voyeurism antagonist plot line

"what are they doing"

"they're stomping the yard where are you from"

i am slightly annoyed with all these drumline/danceoff black culture movies

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Furthermore they are aimed at the younger youth demographic (curently between 10-16 of age)

the same species that contain little suburban (cringe) tweens (cringe) making youtube videos to Tell Me when to Go

As clueless about the history of "the black man" or hiphop than about marketing

I work at a school and kids were recently talking about lil romeo's new song and referencing to that bow-wow basket ball movie (i was generationally shook for an instance) i was like master P and they obviously did not know waht i was talking about

however i laughed when they talked about Young buck

this kid was screaming "Im rich bitch!" every 3 minutes

Furthermore they are aimed at the younger youth demographic (curently between 10-16 of age)

the same species that contain little suburban (cringe) tweens (cringe) making youtube videos to Tell Me when to Go

Yeah this is a large portion of the "movie going" demograph, so i cant really hatt.

I work at a school and kids were recently talking about lil romeo's new song and referencing to that bow-wow basket ball movie (i was generationally shook for an instance) i was like master P and they obviously did not know waht i was talking about

You dudes don't think your annoyance is slightly misplaced?

I mean, these are kids' movies--they're going to be trite and corny and not really stand up as film.

But I think there's real value in depicting aspects of Black college life--I'm glad kids in the neighborhood I live in at least have the options of seeing movies like this, which has not consistently been the case in this country.

I do agree that the movies about some benevolent white person broadening the horizons of a classroom or even school full of Black kids are disgusting and indefensible, though.

I also never thought I'd live to see the day where hip-hop message board dudes are grousing about kids who don't know their history because they're not up on Master P.

however, the teacher (single white actor) helps young innercity dicover themselves through art/sports be it the drama type (dnagerous minds and that new hilary swank thing) or worse even the teen/kid type (the recent antonio banderas dance one or the keanu reeves hood baseball team movie ukegraemlin:)

Okay, peep my concept for Faux Rillz: The Movie, though.

You're already groaning during the first ten minutes as faux_rillz resigns from his job as a corporate attorney in order to do something meaningful. You're thinking he's going to make it his new life's mission to convince a classroom full of Black kids that they can be somebody. But wait--what's this!? Our hero is applying for a position at affluent suburban white high school? Yes, faux_rillz has decided to devote his remaining days to convincing classrooms full of white kids that they are all racist little batches. Ninety minutes of hilarity ensues.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

You dudes don't think your annoyance is slightly misplaced?

I mean, these are kids' movies--they're going to be trite and corny and not really stand up as film.

But I think there's real value in depicting aspects of Black college life--I'm glad kids in the neighborhood I live in at least have the options of seeing movies like this, which has not consistently been the case in this country.

I do agree that the movies about some benevolent white person broadening the horizons of a classroom or even school full of Black kids are disgusting and indefensible, though.

I also never thought I'd live to see the day where hip-hop message board dudes are grousing about kids who don't know their history because they're not up on Master P.

I was kidding about P but i actually completely agree with what your saying especially about college

id never thought id see the day where i would agree with Dan**

ps: we needs to catchup on the whole latin discog thing (that roena thread made me remember that faux rilla is also a latin afficianado on the side of his hiphop purist mainstay

• Can I play one of your students?

• however, the teacher (single white actor) helps young innercity dicover themselves through art/sports be it the drama type (dnagerous minds and that new hilary swank thing) or worse even the teen/kid type (the recent antonio banderas dance one or the keanu reeves hood baseball team movie ukegraemlin:)

You're already groaning during the first ten minutes as faux_rillz resigns from his job as a corporate attorney in order to do something meaningful. You're thinking he's going to make it his new life's mission to convince a classroom full of Black kids that they can be somebody. But wait--what's this!? Our hero is applying for a position at affluent suburban white high school? Yes, faux_rillz has decided to devote his remaining days to convincing classrooms full of white kids that they are all racist little batches. Ninety minutes of hilarity ensues.

I'm down, but don't try and type cast me as the "janitor" or as the swarthy "teacher's love interest". My head shots are in the mail.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

But I already had you mind for a role in "Plexin," Faux. You're the conservative father who stands in staunch opposition of the main character's decision to quit the wrestling team in order to follow his dream of being a Plexor (one who spits 'plex 'phores). But near the end of the film, as you and your son are in the midst of a heated argument over whether or not he can attend the All-City Plex-off, he reminds you of your own over-bearing father who wouldn't let you follow your dream of being a Registered Nurse. You then realize that your rage at your son was really misplaced frustration at not being able to follow your own desires and you must let your son go (and though he takes off to the Plex-off alone, you'll show up there at the end, just before he wins the trophy).

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

But I already had you mind for a role in "Plexin," Faux. You're the conservative father who stands in staunch opposition of the main character's decision to quit the wrestling team in order to follow his dream of being a Plexor (one who spits 'plex 'phores). But near the end of the film, as you and your son are in the midst of a heated argument over whether or not he can attend the All-City Plex-off, he reminds you of your own over-bearing father who wouldn't let you follow your dream of being a Registered Nurse. You then realize that your rage at your son was really misplaced frustration at not being able to follow your own desires and you must let your son go (and though he takes off to the Plex-off alone, you'll show up there at the end, just before he wins the trophy).

I'm down, but don't try and type cast me as the "janitor" or as the swarthy "teacher's love interest". My head shots are in the mail.

You could play the sympathetic Gym/Music teacher who slips FR a copy of Eldridge Cleavers LP.

You could play the sympathetic Gym/Music teacher who slips FR a copy of Eldridge Cleavers LP rocks Eldridge Cleaver-inspired gym shorts.