new mix with seriously heavy african funk records

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Our friend Rainer from http://www.konzeptlos.org was nice enough to host another mix with African records that I've recently unearthed down here. I hope I'm not too confident here but I think this one has some of the heaviest shit I've found so far and from what i heard from notorious experts on this field like Chris from NY, a whole bunch of this stuff is highly obscure and there might even be a few unknown gems amongst them...http://www.konzeptlos.org/frank_afro_3.mp3Any feedback would be highly appreciated and I'd be curious about which tracks some of you might know already.Today and tomorrow might be my last days online for a whole while as all Guinean unions have announced a general strike that will start on Wednesday and continue for up to 3 weeks. The president has flown out his family and there are rumors that this one might get nasty...The airport will also be shut down.I only hope this shit gets sorted out before Feb 15th cause I already have a ticket to Cotonou for that date.You've got to hate it when the political situation interferes with your digging plans!If you got some time on your hands, check out my blog with the two old Afro Funk mixes, the Guinean Syliphone mix and some potentialy entertaining pictures and stories:http://www.voodoofunk.blogspot.com

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    You're doing good work down there. Of course I don't know any of these tracks.

• Fantastic as usual Frank! Don't know any of the tracks, but the highlights so far are the track around 30: w/ english sung soulful lyrics and the disco-style tune around 49: w/ the french vocal. If you find extra copies let me know

• I read some of the things you wrote on your blog, and I think it's amazing. Very insightful and outlandish. You must be having the time of your life down there!

Keep doing what you do

- J

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I don??t know any of the tracks, but this mix is great and enjoyable.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    woah

Frank , thank you man!

really inspiring stuff...I have doubles of most songs on here , in both vinyl and 8-track format , but enjoyable nonetheless.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    Enjoyable as always--thanks for the mix! Stay safe.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Thanks Frank, excellent as always and even heavier than usual. I'm still playing the last mix on a pretty frequent basis. Only one or maybe two sound familiar on here but it's going to take me a while to listen to my own records and match them against these tracks, if I have them at all. Hope the strike passes off peacefully - not very reassuring when El Pres moves his nearest and dearest somewhere 'safer'... take care

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    excellent! I have recently been trying to learn about african music, so these mixes are always helpful.

Orch Poly-Rythmo is prob my favorite...what does the one off this mix come from? I have Zero+Zero, and the Cd comp of their stuff, I don't think I remember it, although I could be mistaken.

anyway, thanks!

-pj

• THANKS FRANK!! Can't wait to crack it open.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Wow... this is my favorite one so far! Big big thanks for dropping this one on us.

I don't have or know any titles, but I recognize some of the vocalists from other records I do have. Ofege, Funkees, Poly Rhythmo. I could be wrong of course as they can sound quite similar. Quality stuff no matter.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Thank you Frank! Been listening to a lot of this sort of stuff lately and its nice to have more. Making my Monday complete!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Wow... this is my favorite one so far! Big big thanks for dropping this one on us.

I don't have or know any titles, but I recognize some of the vocalists from other records I do have. Ofege, Funkees, Poly Rhythmo. I could be wrong of course as they can sound quite similar. Quality stuff no matter.

Any new mixes in the works from you?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    You are truly dropping gift upon gift to these boards. Thanks so much. Stay safe out there, when you get back I'm sure we'd all love to know more about your adventures.

• PolarPolar 12 Posts
    This is NICE! Made my day too.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Any new mixes in the works from you?

Yeah... almost done with the next podcast mix. Hopefully next week. Garage/psych/prog heatery.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Post deleted by Yemsky

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    INSPIRING

this is honestly some of the best music i have heard in months

• Wow... this is my favorite one so far! Big big thanks for dropping this one on us.

i still think that Myriam's Quartette track on your Syliphone was probly one my phavorite travks ive ever heard ! i neeed some more of that

but this whole mix has my face on the floor as well, thanks! the best way to start off a brand new week is with one of these mixes...

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Another memorable mix for sure ... made my commute a breeze today. Many thanks!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Previous mixes have been getting heavy play around the pool table in the basement, with many positive comments from friends.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    astonishing! props to the true 'front lines' of digging!

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Great work. I DL this mix from your blog a couple of days ago. Keep posting up pictures and writing reports, your blog is far more interesting than anyother blog I have ever read. Places, people and records I may never see.....

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Great mix to make butternut squash soup to, I've found.

• skattaskatta 48 Posts
    Thanks Frank! It's always been a pleasure listening to your mixes.
    Just started downloading this and hopefully I'll get to listen to this on my way home from work.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    as usual you outdid yourself with this mix. Great stuff!!! I can't wait to read the blog

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

There are several Poly Rythmo tracks on this one.
    No Ofege or Funkees though...
    I'll post the tracklist later.
    Poly Rythmo more and more seems to me like the JB of African Funk.
    Their output is just unbelievable.
    Found countless of their records on my last trip to Cotonou that seem
    to be unknown so far. Sadly, a lot of the 45s have seen so much play
    that they have a lot of noise. Got a huge stack of them along with
    45s by other bands from Benin that all belonged to the same owner.
    Some were in custom made sleeves made out of sexy pin-ups by french artist
    Aslay. One side shows the face, other side the bosom..
    the owner had signed each record and judging by which ones got the most play,
    he must have had some smoking palm wine parties back in the day with his buddies.

The strike situation seems a bit more concerning today.
    All businesses, including the Airport will be shut down starting tomorrow.
    The president has left town along with most ministers.
    Fucking thieving cowards...
    Some opposition leaders call for an indefinate strike until the president
    leaves his seat. Trouble is that there's no individual opposition leader with
    enough support by the general public to effectivly run office...
    another problem is that the government is basicly run by the military
    (the president is a general) and those behind the scenes who run things for real
    are unlikely to let anything happen that would endanger their place at the trough
    of corruption.

It seems likely that something will happen because the public is completly pissed
    off by numerous corruption scandals, rampant inflation and them not seeing a
    penny from millions and millions (dollars) worth of resources like Bauxit,
    Gold, Iron and Copper Ore that are being bought up by international cooperations
    (Russia, USA, China) for discount prices, stuffing offshore bank accounts
    and countless business ventures of those in power and their families and clans,
    leaving everybody else with little or nothing to survive on.

My wife's sister and her husband were supposed to arrive for a visit tomorrow
    but with the airport closing down had to cancel their plans. Sucks because they
    were supposed to bring in a suitcase full of books and some spare parts for the car...

Wish me luck, I hope we don't have to get evacuated because we wouldn't be able
    to take our dogs with us (neither records of course).

Hey Frank, hope it stays calm but keep an eye on the French embassy bulletins. They're usually the best informed and the first to start shipping people out if things look like they're taking a turn for the worse. Hope it doesn't come to that so in the meantime stay safe and get cracking on another mix!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hey Frank, hope it stays calm but keep an eye on the French embassy bulletins. They're usually the best informed and the first to start shipping people out if things look like they're taking a turn for the worse. Hope it doesn't come to that so in the meantime stay safe and get cracking on another mix!

Yeah, yeah... the french. Amways the first to run!

Just kidding!!!

I doesn't look like there will be any trouble for people like us.
    The guinean people are very friendly and there are no conflicts amongst the different ethnic groups. There are very few white folks around and the few that are around are generaly well liked because they bring in a little bit of money.

Last strike, last June, there was some rioting, burnig road blocks and some ammount of shooting but if you just stay in or at least stay within your neighbourhood and leave the car in the garrage, things should be fine.

Ha ha, first to run but thank fuck for that! I'm a dual French-British passport and when I got evacuated from Cote d'Ivoire it was by legionnaires. The British embassy was too mean to fly out UK subjects and they didn't even bother contacting people to check on them although they quietly sent home nearly all the embassy staff... go figure lol. Yeah, stay close to home and destroy all your records in case they fall into enemy hands.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Ha ha, first to run but thank fuck for that! I'm a dual French-British passport and when I got evacuated from Cote d'Ivoire it was by legionnaires. The British embassy was too mean to fly out UK subjects and they didn't even bother contacting people to check on them although they quietly sent home nearly all the embassy staff... go figure lol. Yeah, stay close to home and destroy all your records in case they fall into enemy hands.

Our neighbour is a french military advisor, I guess we'll be fine!

I always had visiting friends fly out the more valuable pieces and what's left will fit in my Aluminum flight cases that will be taped shut airtight and burried in the garden if push comes to shove...

Okay... my wife's picking me up right now, gotta run.

Talk to you later!