Foodstuff about Hip Hop?

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• Thats got to be fake.

Garbage food for kids and youngins with the face of Rap as a selling point?

Shit....... I was afraid of this, Its real.

This remides me of that Simsons Ep where bart goes to fat camp from eatting to many Scammer $ Z-dog snacks.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nos you never saw these before? Shits been around for like going on 15 years. Nver saw THESE brands in particular but Rap Snacks been here.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    My man got a package of those Magic Honeydew Cheese curls just to
    see what they tasted like. I tried one and they were NASTY, NASTY, NASTY!
    Truly the definition of:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Thats got to be fake.

Garbage food for kids and youngins with the face of Rap as a selling point?

Whatcha getting all steamed about?

It says "Stay In School" doesn't it?

Seriously, though - nothing new about this shit...
    haven't you ever heard of CHU-BOPS bubblegum:

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Seriously, though - nothing new about this shit...
    haven't you ever heard of CHU-BOPS bubblegum:

Holy crap I totally forgot about those!
    Even back then I thought, Who the hell is buying this shit?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I remember seeing those chips, haven't seen them in awhile.

Upon looking online, I came across something unrelated, but perhaps if these were hanging out next to the shoyu peanuts and stale Rocky Road's, they would put them in the Romeo bag:

Obviously not enough people, seeing how many thousand
    unopened packages are for sale on eBay - but the funny
    thing is, just like real records, there must be some that
    are harder to find, the most popular of the lesser produced
    titles, while the lame stuff that nobody wanted (how many kids
    were buying Charlie Daniels Band) is readily available still sealed.

Somewhere out there is an uber-nerd saying, "yeah, I collect
    records...BUBBLEGUM RECORDS! Check out my multiple sealed
    THE CLASH - GIVE 'EM ENOUGH ROPE's ... 2 with unbroken
    gum disc!"

Me and Kid Koala, basically. Who didn't want record shaped gum? Okay, maybe just me and Kid Koala...

For the extra nerdy, a Chu-Bops checklist:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/allender/chubops.htm

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Me and Kid Koala, basically. Who didn't want record shaped gum? Okay, maybe just me and Kid Koala...

For the extra nerdy, a Chu-Bops checklist:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/allender/chubops.htm

Those were my shit. I wanna eat the Crystal Gayle record.

Check these out:

On The Go did a thing about these joints like back in the 90s.

I Googled "X Chips" but didn't find them. Anyone ever eat the Malcolm X chips? They were interesting.

Anyone ever eat the Malcolm X chips? They were interesting.

Ketchup flavor?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wish.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Nos you never saw these before? Shits been around for like going on 15 years. Nver saw THESE brands in particular but Rap Snacks been here.

No i definitely have enjoyed rap snacks for years. wise intelligent does it real big with that shit.

I was hoping people could point me in the direction of similarly rap inspired food.

• This is just a bit diffrent.

Bubble gum as a treat is one thing, but where are these snacks being marketed?

Go ahead and call the race card on this one, but these products are ending up in the little corner stores of the worst hoods in this country. (ghetto food) if you will.

If Frito Lay came out with some shit like this, people would be calling for the heads of Frito Lays Execs on a platter for letting this obviously "ghetto marketing"

You and I both know that poor kids in the hood more often then not, make a meal out of the same type of crap, only by a diffrent maker.
    (frito lay)

Look at the flavors for god sake, Honey BBQ, Spicy, sound simular to another ghetto marketer??..... namely KFC?

Dont look at me like that....you know as well as I do, some of KFC ads are geared towards whites, (i.e.the Chicken snakers or the pot pies), but then theres the Yo yo yo home boy type chicken wing ads they run.

Tell me thats not a form of selective advertising.

Ive said my peace, and these things are so very very sad. and STILL

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    these things are so very very sad.

they're just chips, dude. You want to see sad, go check the Father MC thread.

What I wanna know is, who created Honeydew Cheese Curls... and why?

they're just chips, dude.
    True, but it's the idea behind it all.

What I wanna know is, who created Honeydew Cheese Curls?!
    Exactly, and what does that shit taste like? Does anyone really eat a honeydew melon with powered cheese? Unusual gourmet reaction like vinegar and ice cream?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    these things are so very very sad.

they're just chips, dude. You want to see sad, go check the Father MC thread.

What I wanna know is, who created Honeydew Cheese Curls... and why?

That shit is so sad, like when they get to talking about Puffy and Mary J and the look in dude's face is like "Shit, how did I fuck this all up?"

• I was hoping people could point me in the direction of similarly rap inspired food.

Heres some.

http://www.cbc.ca/weightoftheworld/includes/rapsong.pdf

http://www99.epinions.com/content_2320867460

And still a little mo fo ya to Rap yer head around.

Riff Raff Exclusive: Upcoming Rapper Food Products

Recently Snoop Dogg announced the Snooperbowl, inspiring a Riff Raff-penned history of the link between rapping and sports. Now the Dogg is back with a brand new hot dog line--foot-long weiners called "Snoop Doggs."

Snoop takes advantage of everything,??????? his manager said. ???????This rap money isn????????t long. Just ask MC Hammer.???????

Rappers have a history of food tie-ins, most notably the Rap Snacks brand of potato chips. Each style of chip coincides with each sponsoring rapper's personality. For instance, Youngbloodz are Southern Crunk Barbeque, Master P is Platinum Bar-B-Que, and Lil Romeo is Bar-B-Que with Honey.

Now other rappers are looking to get in the kitchen, and over the last few months several of them have tried to develop their own food products, with varying success. Here are a few:

Young Jeezsteak: Your favorite trapper's favorite trapper now wants a piece of the Philly sandwich game. Reportedly tastier than a regular cheesesteak, for now the sandwich has been postponed until the rapper's lawyers can secure a patent for the sandwich's key ingredient, Jeez-Whiz.

Notorious B.L.T.: Sandwich designers Rob Drubbin and Tim Hobey decided they wanted to honor the late Brooklyn rapper, but struggled as to how, exactly, a B.L.T. could be notorious. Should it be spicy? Should it have a pimp inside? Drubbin and Hobey decided that the "T" of B.L.T. would stand for "Tricks," the trick being that the sandwich is made entirely of E. coli.

Peanut Butter Wolf: The Stones Throw don decided to commemorate himself with a special "run" of Peanut Butter Wolves, which are just regular wolves covered in peanut butter and pretty angry in general.

Jam'Ron: Killa Cam's response to the Stones Throw threat, Jam'Ron is a grape-flavored jelly that protects you from the threat of peanut butter wolves. When the wolf smells the jelly, it immediately becomes sedate, giving you enough time to kick the wolf in the face and use its fur for a delicious sandwich.

40 Cal Fruit Snacks: The Dipset understudy had planned to make a snack that would net a mere 40 calories per bag--but that meant only one-half a fruit snack per bag. Currently 40 Cal is in negotiations to change his name to 1223 Cal.

Inspectah Sandwich: While not a food item per se, Wu-Tang rapper Inspectah Deck used to tell grocery clerks around Staten Island that his real name was Inspectah Sandwich, and he needed to "inspect" their sandwiches by eating them.

The Food: What a shame it is that 50 Cent has indefinitely delayed the debut of this scrumptious something-or-other as designed by Black Wall Street rapper, the Game.

Masta Grilla: For a while Wu-Tang's Masta Killa tried to sell his own version of the George Foreman grille, which was basically a regular Foreman grille with the serial numbers scratched out.

Mobb Beef: Until G-Unit, things were going so bad for the once-legendary duo that they had planned to sell ground beef made exclusively from their own flesh.

Snack Bundles: The mixtape star Stack Bundles tried to get in the food game two years ago, and succeeded, but nobody ever bought the food because the factory had accidentally printed the product description "bundle of snacks" as "bundle of snakes."

Ying Yang Twinkies: Hostess Cakes liked the idea of Ying Yang Twins-branded twinkies at first, but quickly reneged after the Twins demanded the cakes "whisper" sexually transmitted diseases.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    This is a regularly available foodstuff in Australian supermarkets.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Foodgame is the new clothingline/carwash/acting/spinnas/alcohol.......

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    1 July 2001, Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger, pg. 1:
    In Newark, the Outsidaz have tried to make a difference, converting a former crack house into the Outhouse and opening their own ice cream parlor on Springfield Avenue, called "Outrageous Flavors." (The flavors have names such as "Redman's Redrum Raisin" and "Angie Martinez' Butter Pecan Rican.") They're also planning to unveil a Springfield Avenue candy store called Sweets.

• 1 July 2001, Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger, pg. 1:
    In Newark, the Outsidaz have tried to make a difference, converting a former crack house into the Outhouse and opening their own ice cream parlor on Springfield Avenue, called "Outrageous Flavors." (The flavors have names such as "Redman's Redrum Raisin" and "Angie Martinez' Butter Pecan Rican.") They're also planning to unveil a Springfield Avenue candy store called Sweets.

This is an outrage. As if crack wasn't bad enough, now these rappers are giving the community cavities. What next are they going to start handing out scissors for the kids to run with?

• And noz where is the damn crouton pic?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

dead prez brand seasoned croutons. a revolutionary new flavor.

• dead prez brand seasoned croutons. a revolutionary new flavor.

Next up The Coup salad dressing.

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    not as directly hip hop related as rap snacks, but Kathy saves it with a mean bgirl pose...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    This is just a bit diffrent.

Go ahead and call the race card on this one, but these products are ending up in the little corner stores of the worst hoods in this country. (ghetto food) if you will.

If Frito Lay came out with some shit like this, people would be calling for the heads of Frito Lays Execs on a platter for letting this obviously "ghetto marketing"

You and I both know that poor kids in the hood more often then not, make a meal out of the same type of crap, only by a diffrent maker.
    (frito lay)

Look at the flavors for god sake, Honey BBQ, Spicy, sound simular to another ghetto marketer??..... namely KFC?

Dont look at me like that....you know as well as I do, some of KFC ads are geared towards whites, (i.e.the Chicken snakers or the pot pies), but then theres the Yo yo yo home boy type chicken wing ads they run.

I know what you mean dude. I was at the supermarket the other day & they had special markings on Kosher products. That schitt is discrimination. I'mma sue those guys who make matzos for racial profiling.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

DAMN i need that Billy Joel schitttt! I don't remember these things... are they from like the mid 90s or so?
    I have digger's nightmares about most of those album covers

• This is just a bit diffrent.

(frito lay)

I know what you mean dude. I was at the supermarket the other day & they had special markings on Kosher products. That schitt is discrimination. I'mma sue those guys who make matzos for racial profiling.

Race isnt the issue here, I know , I know..you made a funny, But fer real, its not a race thing.

Its about selling crap to people that dont get regular meals in the first place, Namely kids in poor hoods of America. I doubt youll see a 20 or 30 year old walking around with a bag of Mack 10 Killa BBQ spud joints, but teenagers and little ones...you know youll see that.

And there in lies my point.

Dispicable marketing tactics.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    1 July 2001, Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger, pg. 1:

Does anybody besides me find "The Outhouse" to be a less-than-appetizing name?