Lakeview library movie review: The Guy Maddin Coll

showandtellshowandtell 97 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
My last girlfriend was more of a cheapskate than me. That is saying a lot. She always had library movies at her house. I ended up getting a library card. Library movies can be rad, they force you to be more open-minded.The Guy Maddin Collection: Twilight of the Ice Nymphs/Archangel/The Heart of the World[/b] (1997-2000)Category[/b]: Fantasy/ExperimentalThese are three short movies made by Guy Maddin, who I'd never heard of. Twilight stars a redhead girl, a hella fine hippie lady, a girl with goldfish lips and some dude. They live in a magical fantasy world and trade lines in Olde English. The set design is like Maxfield Parrish channelled through Cyndi Lauper. I expected the Goat Boy from SNL to jump out of the bushes at any moment. I fast-forwarded 2/3s of the movie stopping only for potential nymph sex addict scenes. I did find one rad booty shot but rest is all-talk, no action. I think everyone involved with this movie is a criminal and should be sent to a federal prison for 3 years. Rating: Bad. I fast-forwarded through the entire 2nd movie Archangel. Rating: Bad. Heart of the World saved this dude's ass. I watched it three times. It is in a retro silent b&w style and stars Nikolai the youth mortician (HAHAHAHA) and Osip, the Jesus actor who are both in love with Anna the State Scientist who discovers the world is dying of heart failure. This movie is 6 minutes long and funny as shit. Rating: Good.Overall Rating[/b]: See aboveRating System[/b]: Bad, Ok, Good, Very Good, Great, Masterpiece(If you live in the Oakland/Lake Merritt area, you are eligible for movie rentals at the Lakeview library. Simply present a California picture ID and a librarian will assist you through the application process. Before you know it, you will have access to dozens of titles on DVD or VHS at absolutely no cost.)