fuck a netflix

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Sending my discs 2 and 3 of The Wire season 2 before sending me the first disc.

Comments

• Sending my discs 2 and 3 of The Wire season 2 before sending me the first disc.

The definition of blue balls.

Other then season 4, I think this is the best season. Your in for a hell of a treat.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    season 2 is the weakest season by far.

• season 2 is the weakest season by far.

I havent' finished 4 but I definitely like 2 the best out of 1-3. I thought the Dock shit was strong. Frank Sobotka is a great character.

I havent' finished 4 but I definitely like 2 the best out of 1-3. I thought the Dock shit was strong. Frank Sobotka is a great character.

I have to agree with thrope in that season 2 was the "weakest" of the 4, but none of them are actually weak, it's just that the other 3 seasons are more tied together and season 2 kinda sticks out. A lot started and ended in that season so it didn't leave a lot of open doors... Or so you think anyway... End of season 4 was dope, I think 5 is going to incorporate several characters from every season. Gonna be dope as fuck. I think season 3 was the best so far. Although, 4 might seem a lot better once 5 comes out. That's kinda how it goes with this show from what I gather.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    they been sending me some seriously skated on dvds lately. i mean serious, like someone went at it with sandpaper. do they even check them anymore? we bumped down to one at a time. i'm ready to go to zero.

• they been sending me some seriously skated on dvds lately. i mean serious, like someone went at it with sandpaper. do they even check them anymore? we bumped down to one at a time. i'm ready to go to zero.

That sucks. I just started getting netflicks. Finally getting to find out what all of the hype for the Wire is about. They better not fuck up the order though.

• I've had no prob with the Netflix and I'm on the three disc deal. The only incident I've had is the last selection they sent was cracked. I sent it back and they re-sent a working copy of the disc a few days later. I still have no idea why you folls are SO into "the Wire". It's alright...good enough I suppose but it's no "Sopranos". Same as all the folks that were so into "Deadwood". That shit sucked. Just a bunch of wild west sets with dudes saying motherfucker a lot. I don't get the appeal...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've had no prob with the Netflix and I'm on the three disc deal. The only incident I've had is the last selection they sent was cracked. I sent it back and they re-sent a working copy of the disc a few days later. I still have no idea why you folls are SO into "the Wire". It's alright...good enough I suppose but it's no "Sopranos". Same as all the folks that were so into "Deadwood". That shit sucked. Just a bunch of wild west sets with dudes saying motherfucker a lot. I don't get the appeal...

The Wire is a beautiful portrait of Baltimore--one of the weirdest cities in the world. Furthermore, it's an illustration of parallel institutions that are equally dysfunctional and effective.

And...each character is neither good nor bad. That is my favorite part because it gives you a lot of room to think and engage with them without micromanaging your emotions.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    I've had no prob with the Netflix and I'm on the three disc deal. The only incident I've had is the last selection they sent was cracked. I sent it back and they re-sent a working copy of the disc a few days later. I still have no idea why you folls are SO into "the Wire". It's alright...good enough I suppose but it's no "Sopranos". Same as all the folks that were so into "Deadwood". That shit sucked. Just a bunch of wild west sets with dudes saying motherfucker a lot. I don't get the appeal...

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    season 2 is great, but i really can't see how anyone in their right mind would pick it as better than 1 (sets all the shit up, the fall of deangelo is great etc) 3(truly facemelting, the best season, ties up 1 and 2 and can't be fucked with) or 4(the new kids on the show >>>>>>>>>the dock characters)

Season 2 took time to build momentum, but was seriously rewarding in the end. If you're looking to this show for a quick fix, then you'll never get it. Hell, even when it ends its run, it can't come to some sort of conclusion, as the whole series is about the failure of our institutions, and the inexorable behavior of the people in a modern American city.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    season 2 is great, but i really can't see how anyone in their right mind would pick it as better than 1 (sets all the shit up, the fall of deangelo is great etc) 3(truly facemelting, the best season, ties up 1 and 2 and can't be fucked with) or 4(the new kids on the show >>>>>>>>>the dock characters)

dammit! i'm watching season 1 right now, major spoiler dude. oh well.

• season 2 is great, but i really can't see how anyone in their right mind would pick it as better than 1 (sets all the shit up, the fall of deangelo is great etc) 3(truly facemelting, the best season, ties up 1 and 2 and can't be fucked with) or 4(the new kids on the show >>>>>>>>>the dock characters)

Don't worry, there will be PLENTY more surprises.

• season 2 is great, but i really can't see how anyone in their right mind would pick it as better than 1 (sets all the shit up, the fall of deangelo is great etc) 3(truly facemelting, the best season, ties up 1 and 2 and can't be fucked with) or 4(the new kids on the show >>>>>>>>>the dock characters)

Call me crazy then!!

• I've had no prob with the Netflix and I'm on the three disc deal. The only incident I've had is the last selection they sent was cracked. I sent it back and they re-sent a working copy of the disc a few days later. I still have no idea why you folls are SO into "the Wire". It's alright...good enough I suppose but it's no "Sopranos". Same as all the folks that were so into "Deadwood". That shit sucked. Just a bunch of wild west sets with dudes saying motherfucker a lot. I don't get the appeal...

The Wire is a beautiful portrait of Baltimore--one of the weirdest cities in the world. Furthermore, it's an illustration of parallel institutions that are equally dysfunctional and effective.

And...each character is neither good nor bad. That is my favorite part because it gives you a lot of room to think and engage with them without micromanaging your emotions.

That's cool, I can see your points. It's cool that the characters are portrayed in this refreshing way. I was watching the latest season and it caught my attention, so I ordered up the season one discs from Netflix. Wasn't really that impressed. Maybe I should give it another shot. Obviously I'm missing something here since you (all) have embraced it so wholeheartedly.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's not really fair to judge the wire unless you've watched all of the episodes because they build on so much shit in the earlier episodes. i would guess you would have missed out on at least 50% of season 4 if you didnt watch anything else and the show is not nearly as funny (which is really just an added bonus to the show) without having any previous knowledge of the characters.

• it's not really fair to judge the wire unless you've watched all of the episodes because they build on so much shit in the earlier episodes. i would guess you would have missed out on at least 50% of season 4 if you didnt watch anything else and the show is not nearly as funny (which is really just an added bonus to the show) without having any previous knowledge of the characters.

no shit man season 4 had me crackin' up left and right due to all of the subtle jokes that relate to previous seasons. I love the humor in this show. And yeah, watching part of season 4 then watching season 1 could turn you off. I'm thankful that I started completely from scratch, season 1 episode 1. Made for a great experience.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Classic NetFlix tactic. That's no mistake. Try separating your queue like so:

DVD | Wire S2D1 | Other DVD | Wire S2D2 | Other DVD etc.

While we're on the subject of TV shows that caught hype on DVD, this Veronica Mars shit is good. Even if it's limited a tad by "some problems need to be solved stem-to-steern in 1 hour" nature, this show is really good. Can't vouch for the current season, though.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    im gonna ANTI-COSIGN the veronica mars love. cheeseball show.

I just got into the show myself haha. I finished watching episode 4. I'm officially hooked.

Funny how this turned from a fuck netflix thread to a The Wire thread.

As far as netflix goes, I'm lucky to have never had any kind of a problem.
    Yeah, I just jinxed myself.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

this has been discussed here a long time ago, but it's called "throttling"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11262292/

netflix penalizes customers who rent heavily. people who take their time on returning things usually don't have to deal with this stuff.

• Anyone see those commercials for "Blockbuster Select" or whatever? Where you can order flicks online, and exchange them for new ones at the physical store if you get impatient?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    There was very interesting piece done on Netflix that appeared on 60 Minute a few weeks ago. All of the movies are retrieved and stuffed into envelopes by hand in what looks like some kind of legal sweatshop. The employees are collectively led through a series of stretches at various points throughout the day to stay nimble and to prevent from injury. I forgot the number of envelopes opened and stuffed per day, but it was something ridiculous.

• Anyone see those commercials for "Blockbuster Select" or whatever? Where you can order flicks online, and exchange them for new ones at the physical store if you get impatient?

Yup. Good strategy. Still, it's Blockbuster. Don't they like edit their movies and stuff?

• huh? never heard of that.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i've read that they have edited and censored movies too to make them more family-friendly, but i have not seen any examples of titles.

sounds kinda suspect

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i've read that they have edited and censored movies too to make them more family-friendly, but i have not seen any examples of titles.

sounds kinda suspect
    this is true. the first time i noticed it was waaay back when "pulp fiction" first came out on video. i rented it from blockbuster and noticed that some of the closeups of travolta shooting up were gone.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

sounds kinda suspect
    this is true. the first time i noticed it was waaay back when "pulp fiction" first came out on video. i rented it from blockbuster and noticed that some of the closeups of travolta shooting up were gone.

Blue Velvet has some scenes that blur out Isabella Rossellini's goodies. I've also never found a Blockbuster that carries Lost Highway. There's also Requiem For a Dream where Aronofsky made them put Edited Version underneath the title.

For the most part the edits Blockbuster makes are minor.