WATER TIGHT CONTAINERS FOR RECS...

AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I've seen dealers and folks use some plastic tubs with lids from Office Depot (i think) but I also noticed that the lids and tubs crack after a while because it's hard thin plastic. Also they are not stackable more than 2 high.What I want is some nice durable plastic containers with lids that are water tight and stackable.Any suggestions and/or photos would be greatly appreciated.Thx in advAl

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I've seen dealers and folks use some plastic tubs with lids from Office Depot (i think) but I also noticed that the lids and tubs crack after a while because it's hard thin plastic. Also they are not stackable more than 2 high.

What I want is some nice durable plastic containers with lids that are water tight and stackable.

Any suggestions and/or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in adv
    Al

I thought some of the Rubbermaids could do more than 2 high. Maybe 3.

The problem is records are so heavy, it's hard to find any type of waterproof container that you can stack that's affordable.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Thx for the help so far guys.
    I am off to Office Depot, Home Depot, and the container store.
    I like the Yellow submarine idea, but it's hard to stack those more than 2 high.
    Peacey weece.
    A

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    you need to be careful man

if you pack them full of records, records and sleeves will get warped/bended/etc

you need to pack the ends with some flat filler material

and still keep an eye on em

and you won't be able to stack em too high by yourself either, records are heavy as fuck!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    not much help i'm afraid, but a lot of dealers here seem to use these:
    http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/products.htm

one size fits LPs

maybe someone will know a US equivalent...

• water tight is a bad idea. old records that have a hint of mold can turn into a fungus farm if you put them in something that is truly air/water tight.

the deep sweater boxes at the container store are maybe close to what you are looking for. maybe stackable 3 high (i've done that but probably should not). sealable, but not air tight. they would be fine in 10 inches or so of standing water. anything more than that and you got bigger problems anyway.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Hey Alan

These "Deep Sweater Boxes" from The Container Store are the fany plastic ones I use. Cosign on adding some padding and trying to keep records from warping inside them. I generally keep them full.

$6 a pop, you can buy them in batches of 12

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=72586&PRODID=62422

Stackable, but I wouldn't stack more than two for extended period of times. I haul 3 at a time on a dolly, but the lids are known to crack if you hit a bump or stack them too hard.

Yo thanks for the help so far guys.
    But yo MyLatency when I was at your crib I saw a lot of cracked ones.
    My impression of those was good except for that. It looked like the plastic was too hard and/or brittle so the cracking is bound to happen. Ideally would be that tub except with a slightly tuffer or more flexible plastic if such a thing exists.
    Lates.
    A

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    I use lead boxes I make by melting lead I get a the Gun Store of 8th and Highland works good just a bit heavy...

You may want too just use Duct Tape, Gum, and Foil. My boy Mcguyver swears by it....

Or you can just by the Anvil Cases..... PS Woodlock Oil is *ussies you should use HF it works best and goes straight to your bones, arh Im a pirate....

I use lead boxes I make by melting lead I get a the Gun Store of 8th and Highland works good just a bit heavy...

You may want too just use Duct Tape, Gum, and Foil. My boy Mcguyver swears by it....

Or you can just by the Anvil Cases..... PS Woodlock Oil is *ussies you should use HF it works best and goes straight to your bones, arh Im a pirate....

Hey Mangoass.
    Thanks for all the help assneck.
    Obviously you thought my question was not a worthy one.
    Thanks for the lead and duct tape suggestion, but I'm talking about long term storage of maybe 1000 or more records. Yes I would love to buy that many anvil cases but I am not rich nor financed by my parents.
    I see that out of your 7 posts so far at least one was worthless and probably the others too. Keep up the good work!

P.S. Take your lame pirate ass to the gay pirate forum please. What he hell is HF? Tiger Balm, White Flower, IcyHot, I've tried them all on my balls and Wood Lock is by far the strongest.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

Hey Mangoass.
    Thanks for all the help assneck.
    Obviously you thought my question was not a worthy one.
    Thanks for the lead and duct tape suggestion, but I'm talking about long term storage of maybe 1000 or more records. Yes I would love to buy that many anvil cases but I am not rich nor financed by my parents.
    I see that out of your 7 posts so far at least one was worthless and probably the others too. Keep up the good work!

P.S. Take your lame pirate ass to the gay pirate forum please. What he hell is HF? Tiger Balm, White Flower, IcyHot, I've tried them all on my balls and Wood Lock is by far the strongest.

Look Haus! HF is very bad acid, that will mess you up really bad! Did you see Point of No Return when they melted the lady with it. So watch your tounge when you talk to me or I will poor them on your wack 45's... And while I'm there we can go to Sage's house or Norstrom's and try on some shoes! Relax Mr. I used to live in Spring Valley Or maybe if you kept in touch we would be painting this weekend with the whole crew! Are you selling your tennis racket?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    hi Ironfeet.