Philly Hip-Hop questions?

ayresayres 1,452 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Paging Cosmo or Phill or Tony!What years did the following joints come out:Munk Wit Da Funk - True Hip-HopDa Fat Cat Clique - The FlowLarry Larr - Keep On YallKorner Boys - Bust A MoveSmash - Blue JeansLady B - To the Beat YallDiscogs got nothing. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Da Fat Cat Clique - The Flow

great song. i'm pretty sure this was '96.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Paging Cosmo or Phill[/b] or Tony!

What years did the following joints come out:

Lady B - To the Beat Yall

1979 I'm almost 100% sure. That was one of the earliest rap records EVAR

• Paging Cosmo or Phill or Tony!

Munk Wit Da Funk - True Hip-Hop
    Da Fat Cat Clique - The Flow
    Larry Larr - Keep On Yall
    Korner Boys - Bust A Move
    Smash - Blue Jeans

Discogs got nothing. Thanks in advance.

is korner boys the one with jeff scratching?
    i'll check on some of those later on.
    out of curiosity, why?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Paging Cosmo or Phill or Tony!

Munk Wit Da Funk - True Hip-Hop (Produced by DJ Cosmo , came out in 1997 if I remember correctly, on Illadelph Records)
    Da Fat Cat Clique - The Flow (came out in 1996, I forget the name of the EP)
    Larry Larr - Keep On Yall (1990? it was the B side to "Konfused")
    Korner Boys - Bust A Move (1985, produced by Parry P, additional producion by Master Vik aka Vikter Dupliax.)
    Smash - Blue Jeans (1982? I have to find it. It's a black label.)
    Lady B - To the Beat Yall (1979, again I'll find the record, but it's a yellow label.)

PS - At least 4 of these songs are coming out on my "Best Of Philly" mix CD that I'm releasing in March with DJ Tat Money.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Paging Cosmo or Phill or Tony!

Munk Wit Da Funk - True Hip-Hop
    Larry Larr - Keep On Yall
    Korner Boys - Bust A Move
    Smash - Blue Jeans

is korner boys the one with jeff scratching?
    i'll check on some of those later on.
    out of curiosity, why?

Yes, it has a song "Jazzy Jeff Scratch" featuring teh one and only.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DJ Tat Money.

This dude is one of my biggest DJ heroes of all time.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's a real focused effort. We've already started but I want to not speak about this any more until there's something tangible.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    It's a real focused effort. We've already started but I want to not speak about this any more until there's something tangible.

Dope! This shit sounds

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Munk Wit Da Funk - True Hip-Hop (This is actually an EP called "Illadelph Volume 1" and I did half the production on this whole thing, including "True Hip Hop." It also has "Lyrikly" feat. Stewey Nuk'em which got radio play in Philly. It's on Illadelph Records and I want to say we released this in 1997)

Da Fat Cat Clique - The Flow (DFFC Records, 1996. A 3 song EP with "My Tracks," "Five From Fox Valley" and "Gettin' On." My man Criz was part of this crew, a bunch of dudes from West Philly. "The Flow" made noise and got radio play in Philly, as it had EST from Three Times Dope on it. Ruggedness did all the beats.)

Larry Larr - Keep On Y'all (This came out in 1991 on Ruffhouse. It's the B side to "Confused.")

Korner Boys - Bust A Move (1985 on Renaissance Records. It is NOT produced by Parry P, but Parry P is one of the dudes rhyming on it. It does have "Jazzy Jeff Scratch (It's On)" Instrumental on it, maybe Jeff's first appearance on wax? I also thought that Master Vik had some involvement with this as well, as I think all these dudes were from Overbrook. Maybe Phill can shed some more light on them.)

Smash - Blue Jeans (I want to say 1982, but nothing else says so. It's on DTD Records.)

Lady B - To the Beat Yall (1979, and I just had the record in my hand and now I lost it again, but I want to say TFA Records or something like that... yes, a yellow label.)

Yo, who was asking about Lux and Ruggedness and Tommy Hill all them? I just pulled all their records as well. Now all I need to do right now is find my Ab Liva records from back in the day... RE-UP, RE-UP.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Lady B - To the Beat Yall (1979, and I just had the record in my hand and now I lost it again, but I want to say TFA Records or something like that... yes, a yellow label.)

T.E.D. records I think

Yo, who was asking about Lux and Ruggedness and Tommy Hill all them? I just pulled all their records as well. Now all I need to do right now is find my Ab Liva records from back in the day... RE-UP, RE-UP.

Lux just had two records right? I got both, but I was asking about Ruggedness... I've been looking since they were new and NEVER found ANYTHING... I'd really like to hear them

• Lady B - To the Beat Yall (1979, and I just had the record in my hand and now I lost it again, but I want to say TFA Records or something like that... yes, a yellow label.)

it's on TEC records

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

great song. i'm pretty sure this was '96.

And like that i am transported back to my freshman year of high school.

Anyone remember Secret Invasion?

• Anyone remember Secret Invasion?

unknown zone and lyrical lyers, right? good single

looks like cos took care of all questions.
    was that illadelph vol.1 a full white sleeve with a sticker on it?
    is that the only stuey nuke em on wax?

and theres another larry lar 12 in 92, but i forget what the title is.

how many releases did 100x have?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Anyone remember Secret Invasion?

unknown zone and lyrical lyers, right? good single

Yeah that's the single. I think i have a tape at my parents house from before their 12" came out. Like 8 songs or so. Those guys went to my high school and got out right before my freshman year. I just came across that 12 when i was organizing my stuff the other day, probably haven't heard it in 4 or 5 years.

I vaguely remember a really good 100X freestyle or maybe a blend on an old Cosmic Kev tape from way back.

Was Camoflague Large (i dont remember how he spelled it) from Philly?