Chinese LPs

blackquariusblackquarius 73 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
has anyone else come across these cheap Chinese LPs with thin, flimsy sleeves and sometimes colored vinyl? I have found a lot of these. My latest find was a copy of "The Best of Nat King Cole". I have no idea what the label is as I can't read Chinese. But they do say "Made in the Republic of China' and have the lyrics printed on the back in English and have all else printed in Chinese. The vinyl is sometimes colored red or orange. Two of my Lps have typos in the titles!

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    has anyone else come across these cheap Chinese LPs with thin, flimsy sleeves and sometimes colored vinyl? I have found a lot of these. My latest find was a copy of "The Best of Nat King Cole". I have no idea what the label is as I can't read Chinese. But they do say "Made in the Republic of China' and have the lyrics printed on the back in English and have all else printed in Chinese. The vinyl is sometimes colored red or orange. Two of my Lps have typos in the titles!

Taiwan. These are more or less boots and very low quality. Typos are the standard. I've seen people present these as Japanese and fools pay $$$ for them. But most sellers and collectors consider them a bargain bin curiosity, even the Beatles and Elvis titles.

• If that is the only way you can get a particular album, then get them. They are work no more than a few dollars, even that is the extreme. As it has been said, people (especially on eBay) pass them off as Japanese pressings.

One thing to keep in mind. For the most part, Japanese pressings are usually:

1) on the same label as they were released in the country of origin
    2) on a label that's within the family

If an album came out in the US on Cotillion, often times it would just come out on Atlantic proper.

As far as Taiwan pressings, they'll be on anything but the actual label.

At least Taiwan labels went out of their way to press complete albums, unlike some of the EP's out of Thailand where the cover may have nothing to do with the songs on the record:

They are all unofficial/counterfeit pressings. Neither the artist, publishers, or original record label made a cent from any of it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

At least Taiwan labels went out of their way to press complete albums, unlike some of the EP's out of Thailand where the cover may have nothing to do with the songs on the record:

Wow, not only does the cover have nothing to do with
    the tracks, the tracks have nothing to do with each other:

Dells doo-wop

Dan Fogelberg MOR

Partridge Family sunshine pop

Penny McLean pop disco

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, as said, these sound like ass. I have one - the Stones Aftermath (with the UK tracks and a different cover) that I keep.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The fouled-up lyric translations on the back of the sleeves (for albums that never came w/lyric sheets to begin with, natch) can be absolutely priceless

• Yes! Those pics are the same kind I have.

• If anything, some of these Thai pressings has the cover graphics without logos or fonts, so they become useful for flyers and whatnot.

If anything, some of these Thai pressings has the cover graphics without logos or fonts, so they become useful for flyers and whatnot.

Welcome back, we missed you. We were talking Ahmet and I know that you could have added a lot. And on another thread we were talking about Iz.

• If anything, some of these Thai pressings has the cover graphics without logos or fonts, so they become useful for flyers and whatnot.

Welcome back, we missed you. We were talking Ahmet and I know that you could have added a lot. And on another thread we were talking about Iz.

Damn, I have been gone for awhile.

I've been busy putting together my new album, I'm about 3/4 done but most likely the songs I've done will be "rough mixes", so I'll head into a studio for proper recording, mixing, and mastering. I haven't done any lurking either, otherwise I would have jumped in on the discussions.

In fact, I'll have to go back on the IZ discussion and see if I can add anything.

If anything, some of these Thai pressings has the cover graphics without logos or fonts, so they become useful for flyers and whatnot.

Damn, I have been gone for awhile.

I've been busy putting together my new album, I'm about 3/4 done but most likely the songs I've done will be "rough mixes", so I'll head into a studio for proper recording, mixing, and mastering. I haven't done any lurking either, otherwise I would have jumped in on the discussions.

In fact, I'll have to go back on the IZ discussion and see if I can add anything.

E at xro tells me you are on some gear head audiophile site he frequents. His big thing is quad and the Beatles.

• E at xro tells me you are on some gear head audiophile site he frequents. His big thing is quad and the Beatles.

Yeah, I've been roaming those boards. I've been a longtime quad head, as well as surround sound.

As far as gear, I'm one of those who likes to look but finds it hard to find a need (or have the means) to spend $50,000 on a turntable without the tonearm. But int terms of remastering and mixing, and especially quadraphonic and surround sound, those have been longtime interests and I've found some nice forums to be able to learn and "talk shop". Not unlike here.