new hip hop vinyl with horrible sound quality

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
all these records have shitty audio, and as a result, i can't play them at spots where i come anywhere close to maxing out the volume. can anyone add to this list??

rhiana - pon de replay
ll cool j- headsprung
ciara - 1,2 step
kanye west- college dropout (full length lp)
common- be (full length)
game- how we do
jay-z - encore/dirt off your shoulder
cool c- glamorous life (re-issue)
kwame- only u (re-issue)
k solo - your mom's in my business (re-issue)

pretty much any full length riddim

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    de la - itsoweezee/stakes is high (re-issue)

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

Co-siggle, the og one sucks too.
    I know this is for new shiz, but every fucking de la record I have, I cannot play out. Such fucking low levels and even distortion -- it sucks cause everybody wants to hear de la.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I need a loud pressing of Dolly P's Jolene.

really.

I know this is for new shiz, but every fucking de la record I have, I cannot play out. Such fucking low levels and even distortion -- it sucks cause everybody wants to hear de la.

If have no problems with my de la 12's on tommy boy.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

De la 12" 's with ok/good volume levels:

breakadawn
    oohh
    watch out
    AOI full length
    rollerskating jam (saturdays)
    say no go

the sound of ATCQ's anthology sucks. Its kinda muffled or sumthing.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Project Blowed.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Project Blowed.

who?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If I started to list names of TX/Nola records with bad sound I would be here all day.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Project Blowed.

Name a record, haterfoll.

I'll even do it for you...Aceyalone & Abstract Rude's "Rally Round the Home Team" 12"...the ONLY Blowed vinyl that I know of with definitively bad sound.

Marley Marl Scratch 12" (highs too high)

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    losts of new 12's have really sizzling hot high end, same w/ some roc-a-fella full lengths.

Project Blowed.

I'll even do it for you...Aceyalone & Abstract Rude's "Rally Round the Home Team" 12"...the ONLY Blowed vinyl that I know of with definitively bad sound.

dude is a hater cause he thinks the sound quality is sub par?

whoa

Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah never stops

Project Blowed.

dude is a hater cause he thinks the sound quality is sub par?

whoa

Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah never stops

He's a hater because he named an open mic night/artist collective and not a record.

Possibly he meant the Project Blowed compilation...which then would make him a hater for being inaccurate.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Why are you so sensitive about PB?

he lives on their nuts

Why don't you name the record you had in mind?

• Why are you so sensitive about PB?

he lives on their nuts

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Settle down. It was plainly a joke.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I just got the test presses back for this G.U.N 12" ep I'm about to put out... man, the sound is FUCKED UP. And I had some of the best peoples in the biz doing the mastering as well as the pressing (the final mix itself wasn't great, but still- no excuse for the ridiculously bad overall sound quality and distortion). I'm hoping that the dudes pressing it up will own up to the mistake and correct it without me getting hit with any additional charges. This shit makes me not wanna even fuck with vinyl again.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    werd to herb on that new Common LP. Gets the bozack.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I just got the test presses back for this G.U.N 12" ep I'm about to put out... man, the sound is FUCKED UP. And I had some of the best peoples in the biz doing the mastering as well as the pressing (the final mix itself wasn't great, but still- no excuse for the ridiculously bad overall sound quality and distortion). I'm hoping that the dudes pressing it up will own up to the mistake and correct it without me getting hit with any additional charges. This shit makes me not wanna even fuck with vinyl again.

I thought that was what test presses were for... to see whether or not they need to go back and do something different... anyway, just wait a minute and then through them things up for auction and get paid...

I thought that was what test presses were for... to see whether or not they need to go back and do something different...

It is, but if they say that the problem was caused by the master not being up to par then they won't assume liability and you'll have to pay to get it recut with a new master. Usually the pressing plant considers themselves innocent until proven guilty- it has to be clearly evident that they were the ones who fucked up, or else it's on you.

anyway, just wait a minute and then through them things up for auction and get paid...

Fa sho'... anybody ever heard of fucked up test pressings going for big bucks? I got five of these ultra raer World Of Beats shit pressings if anybody's interested. Get yo' bids in early, batches!

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    It is, but if they say that the problem was caused by the master not being up to par then they won't assume liability and you'll have to pay to get it recut with a new master. Usually the pressing plant considers themselves innocent until proven guilty- it has to be clearly evident that they were the ones who fucked up, or else it's on you.

Makes sence... Are you doing the production at all or do you have other dudes producing your artists...

Makes sence... Are you doing the production at all or do you have other dudes producing your artists...

I'm producing this 1st one, but the next release will be artist produced (hint: he's already had a thread about his music on soulstrut and he is the FUTURE). I got a couple of other projects that I may be doing myself, but if I ever turn this into a full-fledged label I want to just handle the business side and try to create a home for other talented dudes who like the same kinda shizz that I like.

If this current prob with the vinyl isn't taken care of, though, trust me- all future releases will be CD ONLY. Vinyl just ain't worth the hassle, mane.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    AKO?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    yeah i wish it'd be ako or day but i guess its either jake one or hmm... bsides? i just have a feeling... cus i know soulman likes that gangsta stuff!!

yeah i wish it'd be ako or day but i guess its either jake one or hmm... bsides? i just have a feeling... cus i know soulman likes that gangsta stuff!!

No, it's not a 'Strut regular. I'll reveal it all very soon whenever I get around to putting up this exclusive Soulstrut-only snippet mix of the G.U.N record to see how people are liking it (probably on Monday or Tuesday of next week).
    I do like that gangsta stuff, though!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yo phil

i was just at the plant last week and yer G.U.N. tests were on homey's desk.

that's crazy about the sound quality though.. i've done two 12"s through them, on the 3rd now, and there's been no probs whatsoever.

my buddy just got his tests back though and they were cut WAY too loud.. the mastering dudes are going to own up to it though and recut it...

i think this is an overall problem with vinyl these days, the fact that dudes cut the records at what they call "hip hop" or "Dance" level which means + 2dbs.. which basically means that on anything other than the most durable carts you're gonna get bass farts for days and most likely launch needles straight out the groove.

Yeah, I really wasn't trying to put them on blast by saying their name or anything, because so far they've been real good to work with and I'd like to do a lot of other projects with them. So hopefully they'll come through and take care of the problem.