CARRY GUNS KNIVES BOMBS

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited June 2005 in Announcements

Asprin and I made a record. It's a split 45 about armed resistance. You can listen, read, and find out how to buy here:
http://www.vanguardsquad.com/

The record is a Benefit for the Integrated Holistic Approach ??? Urban Planning Development and The Freedom Archives. We're not going platinum, so we can't give these two organizations as much as we'd like, but please visit them and let others know. Jember Teferra of IHA-UDP deserves her own day. And the Freedom Archives have been putting out beautiful recordings for years. A favorite of mine is the CD on George Jackson. Lots of rare, unheard voices of struggle.

There's also a book that is available, in limited edition, along with the record. Each cover was hand-stamped (I started stamping the night our apartment almost burned down. We lost our electricity. So I stamped these all by candelight -- so seductive). Each book was hand-stitched. No staples were used. Big shouts to deepstank for showing us exactly how it's done. He's obviously had a lot of practice.

The record is for being distributed and souled through Kajmere Sound Distribution. A few stores around the way are also going to carry the record (although I don't think they're in stock yet); Jump Jump (Portland, OR), Smalltime Hustle (Philly), Turntable Lab (NY), Groove Merchant (San Francisco), and Baghat Vinyl (Baltimore).

If you'd like to stock the record, plaese to PM.

Thanks.
~BofV
http://www.vanguardsquad.com/

And thanks to a large number of strutters for being so kind the last year: mr jeigh, tripledouble, laserwolf, dCastillo, djanna, deepstank, rillytruffle, catchdubs, missbassie, sweendoglongisle, hotsauce84, lucero, hogginthefogg, peacefulrotation, cool chris, Raj, Ms Damn, grandpa shig, mesh (he mastered the record), soulrez, twoply, COSMOBAKER, oldnewsoul, legend, Secret Chimp, delay, iDOX, djstef, lakken, FamousMortimer, JRoot, handcorkscrew, LooksLikeSinDAD, dj neta.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i support this thread's title and the message contained within.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Sounds great, looks great --- great project fellas. Congrats. I'll be supporting this.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    We have arrived, this day has been long in the making. Wow.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    We have arrived, this day has been long in the making. Wow.

Yea, let's work on our turnaround time, shall we?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    bravo, gentlemen. Keep on.

(ds)f

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    HELL YEAH

(just got it the other day. )

That decision is what this record is about.
    I think dudes are wondering if you're ready to use violence to get your point across?
    Personally, I think the U.S. is not ripe for armed revolution. Who would we be rising up against? Our Government? Our elected officials? Corporations? That's a lot to swallow for the minority of citizens who are even aware of the problem, let alone those who wish to do something about it.

This is what I was thinking about as we were preparing this release. Ian's question of whether the U.S. is ripe for another armed revolution. Comparing the state of affairs in '69 -- when Eldridge Cleaver addressed the Peace & Freedom Party (the speech I sampled) -- and the state of affiars now, there are some interesting similarities. Here are some portions of the Eldridge speech:

I abhore violence: "We're still not free." Eldridge Cleaver's opening comments to the Peace & Freedom Party. This was his presidential nomination address in Syracuse, 1968. By this time the Black Panthers were aware of the COINTELPRO, secret agents infiltrating the party to create dissent, and murder plots by Hoover and the FBI against prominent members of the Party. Bold. Blatant disregard. (Blackalicious fans, listen up.)

Information is the raw material for new ideas: The people are confused. The credibility gap. Unreliable politicians. The lies of the mass media. "What's being reported had nothing to do with what really went on?" Diluged with misinformation. (Sound familiar?) George Washington's cherry tree quote: "I cannot tell a lie. It was I who chopped down the cherry tree." We're dealing with something that's much more fundamental than a goddamned cherry tree. Bullshit you cannot endorse.

Mad men in a time that demands mad men: "Lay down our lives, and pick up the gun." Ready or not, it's here. Whether or not we'll go willing. People should have the self respect not to shit on humanity. Disbelief in the promise of betterment. I think there was a significant cause for alarm since the Peace & Freedom Party (white) was endorsing Eldridge (Black) for president, while he was advising overthrow of government.

Some BBQ: "It's either or." The pigs of the power structure are oinkin' to the people.

We ain't gonna conduct a traditional campaign: Eldridge wasn't the best public speaker. He was an ex-convict. He spoke street. Not a typical speech-giver. This passage, I think, conveys pretty convincingly the struggle of the Black Panthers and their supporters. Close the book on American history. At a moment of desparation. One of the most alienated categories of man. The most profound dissent we can make to the status quo. Telling the pigs in power that they are so foul, and we're so determined to get rid of them, that we endorse a convict. I'll do it. Take the guns out of the hands of the pig and give them back to the people. The only power we have left... The power to destroy.

We represent a vanguard organization: Mobilizing the coalition. Telling people, "you're not ready." Getting in deep. We are subversive to the bullshit that is going on in this country. Satan will say, when the matter is decided, "I had no authority over you, but I called you and you came." You dig?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it...

Is this a new Proletariat Press??? article in the works E?

Is this a new Proletariat Press??? article in the works E?

I sent a letter to Kathleen Cleaver this morning. Hundreds of questions. Yes.

Research. Analyze. Archive.

And thanks to missbassie, silvertone, Olski, JonnyPaycheck, and Casi for interest in distribution/stocking. We appreciate it.

And thanks to everyone who PMed, emailed, and called this weekend.

And thanks to those folks who bought a copy. That was very generous of you.

And thanks to the 40g who hit our site. Our server will need upgrading soon.

And deepstank, again, for teaching me how to sew.

When Tsega and I started this, I thought it'd be easy enough to include a little note with all the records we send out. FUCK! I haven't written this much by hand in years. I feel like a teenager with a burning crush on my penpal. It's a good kind of callous, though. Thanks to everyone who supported this record, just got word from the distributor that things are moving nicely, and while there are still 45s available, unfortunately the books are all souled out.

Thanks to those folks who emailed, wrote, PMed, played the 45 on their radio shows, asked if they could write about it, asked if they could help distribute it, and everyone who checked out the site last month (it's been slow, we apologize, but we're getting a couple hundred thousand hits). We appreciate it. There are a lot of good things in the works.

We encourage you to support these independent record spots, and while you're there, you can buy the remaining copies of our 45 while they're in stock:

Jump Jump (Portland, OR), Dusty Groove (Chicago, IL), Groove Merchant (San Francisco, CA), Turntable Lab (New York, NY), Rhino Records (Los Angeles, CA), Lifesaver (Helsinki, Finland), Good Records (New York, NY) [Congratulations to J.Paycheck on this endeavor!]. If you'd like to wholesale order the 45, Kajmere Sound Distribution has them. We're working on other spots in Canada, Philly, Baltimore, San Francisco, Seattle, and Europe. Holler if you know something we should.

Please feel free to PM or email asprin or I with any questions, etc.
    bambouche (or) asprin at vanguarsquad dot com

And my tiny fucking apartment thanks you for getting these shipping boxes out of it so fast, really.

I love this ^ guy.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    wow, i'm so proud of you guys. it's awesome to see things moving so well. in a time when people around our age typically aren't interested in anything other than their immediate surroundings(i'm totally guilty of this), it is so refreshing to see what a positive thing you all are doing. not only did you make a great 45 that actually SAYS something, you donate your proceeds to movements that need financial help. and with that you enlighten so many of us about these issues that exist that we may not know about.

I am really honored to have been a part of this project. it's one of those things that in 20 years, i will show my kids and tell them a great story. and i know this is only the beginning for you guys. keep up the great work! i can't wait to see(hear) what you put out next!

I am really honored to have been a part of this project. it's one of those things that in 20 years, i will show my kids and tell them a great story.

As are we honored to have been able to work with you. For those that don't know, Mesh is a up and coming studio genius, and he mastered the 45. He did a great job, put up with all my finecky I want it to bang, but be subtle. I want it to boom, but not sound boxy. I want it to have that extreme bass, but not sacrifice any headroom. I want it all analog, but no tape hiss.

Mesh was truly a champ. And it made us feel great to be a part of his career as an engineer, doing what he wants to do with his life.

I look forward to our next project with you, and the one following that. I whole-heartedly recommend the engineering services of J*e Davenp*rt to anyone who needs quality ears and critical attention on their recordings.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Damn, this is a good 45. Allow me to take credit for being the first to play Vanguard Squad Main Theme on the radio airwaves ( Streaming proof, thanks to Danno of waxing deep fame [color:white]I'm waitng to get sonned on this one, lemme know if it was dropped previous [/color]

Lots of people talk shit on this site, but until you've put your ish on wax, sit the fuck down[/b]

The following is a partial list of struttas that I have wax proof of their commitment

asprin
    Bamboosh
    ako
    karlophone
    kidgusto
    Phill_Most
    the Re-Hash cabal
    DanteC
    Young_phonics nee djkingmoist
    dreskiboogie

shit, who have I forgotten...

Damn, this is a good 45. Allow me to take credit for being the first to play Vanguard Squad Main Theme on the radio airwaves ( Streaming proof, thanks to Danno of waxing deep fame [color:white]I'm waitng to get sonned on this one, lemme know if it was dropped previous

There was, what we called, a "Free Timmy" party, which was a fundraiser for a friend who was being sued by the RIAA for filesharing (I mentioned it here years ago), and the song was played there. But, not on the radio, so I think your proof is pudding.[/color]

Lots of people talk shit on this site, but until you've put your ish on wax, sit the fuck down[/b]

The following is a partial list of struttas that I have wax proof of their commitment

asprin
    Bamboosh
    ako
    karlophone
    kidgusto
    Phill_Most
    the Re-Hash cabal
    DanteC
    dreskiboogie

CastleD
    CosmoBaker
    Catchdubs
    Urrrs
    olden_style_hats
    Day
    PeacefulRotation (soon, if not yet)
    Cool Chris
    Soul Purpose & The 100 Aliases

I didn't know Dreskie put something out? Info please!

• meshmesh 925 Posts

I look forward to our next project with you, and the one following that.

likewise. i searched for a picture of a guy tippin his back at you, but it didnt seem to get the message across. so here is a verbal hat tip.

see, this is the shit i am talking about. real motherfuckin classy dudes. you can't even compliment them without getting complimented in return.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

asprin

Bamboosh

ako

karlophone

kidgusto

Phill_Most

the Re-Hash cabal

DanteC

dreskiboogie

CastleD

CosmoBaker

Catchdubs

Urrrs

olden_style_hats

Day

Cool Chris

I didn't know Dreskie put something out? Info please!

He produced Queen Eve and the Kings All Hail the Queen b/w Bringin' Home the Bacon (MPM)

Oh shit, now that I'm sober, I forgot:

Dizzy_Bill

Paul_Nice

YoungEINSTEIN

sit the fuck down[/b]

asprin
    Bamboosh
    ako
    karlophone
    kidgusto
    Phill_Most
    the Re-Hash cabal
    DanteC
    dreskiboogie

CastleD
    CosmoBaker
    Catchdubs
    Urrrs
    olden_style_hats
    Day
    Cool Chris

Oh shit, now that I'm sober, I forgot:
    Dizzy_Bill
    Paul_Nice
    YoungEINSTEIN

I Picked My Feet in Poughkeepsie this weekend. Shame for forgetting Mr. Nice.

Add:

OtisFunkmeyer
    DeeRock

• add:

hiphoptonyd
    ross hogg did cuts on a Bukue 12"
    monty
    dj spair (very short term strutter )
    jakewizzle
    sureshot (that you sh*ne?)
    dubious

only wax our group has done is 'show vinyl' (private press, literally)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Also:

Dreas
    Meatyogre

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Also:

delay