27 Albums to check for in 2007

2»

Comments

• Give me Devin, UGK and the Mask/Metal Collabo and then can I trade those other 23 for an assurance on release of The Detox?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

There's a lot of suspect "hip-hop" writers in the bay as much as there are some real good ones. Not to go off on a tangent but I find it unintentionally hilarious that a lot of these newspapers who where falling over themselves to write about what dj shadow had for lunch, lyrics born, & "turntablism" while barley even giving a nod to "icky gangster rap music" are now putting folks like EA-Ski & The Frontline on their cover. There's just something awfully patronizing about that.

Archaic catnip.

Carpetbaggeur alert!

In all fairness though, someone of the alt weekly coverage of what you're talking about, I think, has been more "responsible" on that level. (Even though, as has been well noted, I personally can't take credit for that since *ahem* I believe I was covering "what DJ Shadow had for lunch" as well as Lyrics Born and turntablism.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

There's a lot of suspect "hip-hop" writers in the bay as much as there are some real good ones. Not to go off on a tangent but I find it unintentionally hilarious that a lot of these newspapers who where falling over themselves to write about what dj shadow had for lunch, lyrics born, & "turntablism" while barley even giving a nod to "icky gangster rap music" are now putting folks like EA-Ski & The Frontline on their cover. There's just something awfully patronizing about that.

Archaic catnip.

Carpetbaggeur alert!

In all fairness though, someone of the alt weekly coverage of what you're talking about, I think, has been more "responsible" on that level. (Even though, as has been well noted, I personally can't take credit for that since *ahem* I believe I was covering "what DJ Shadow had for lunch" as well as Lyrics Born and turntablism.

I never find the weeklies to be terrible, but if they're writing about it I probably heard it all months ago. They're pop culture publications, and they're gonna go with what's getting play.

Getting back to that 27 albums list, I'm not terribly excited about any of those, save maybe the Little Brother album cause Phonte deserves some beats he can really shine on.

• I predict Brother Ali/The Undisputed Truth is going to be one of the best (if not the best) album of 2007. The guy is an incredible MC and I think a lot people would dig his stuff if they checked for it.

I???m also looking forward to hearing what Common and Kanye will serve up, I really liked both of their recent albums.

`

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I'd like to see Devin catch some hype from a hot single ala Chamillionaire or Gnarls Barkley and then sell a Million records in 07. Dude has the talent to do it...

What will Danger Mouse do in 07?

There were talks of Madvillain 2 also and I would not put it past MFD and Madlib to squeeze it out (no pun intended, I hope it's not a terd, the Madvillain record is a classic IMO).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I stolededed it from Spine Magazine. No way could it be O-Dub since it praises Common and no way can it be NYT's because this write-up actually knows what it's talking about when it comes to rap music is semi-literate trash and the NYT employs the best rap writer currently doing it.

this also neglects to mention the new three 6 that was "guaranteed to drop at the end of the year" but somehow never made it out. why is rap the only genre where artists constantly advertise their release dates and they never happen?

It also didn't notice SA-RA's album but I also heard they got dropped from GOOD.

Anyone know anything about that?

I can't believe you're surprised by this.

Why would a record label invest any money in that project?

I think 'Ye lost his whole label deal, not just Sa-Ra Creative Fashion Consultants or whatever they're called.

Half the work is already done for them that's why. Without the Sony label spending any money those dudes created a huge buzz and got critics/blogger types a few people that post on www.okayplayer.com writing about them. That's more than can be said for a lot of those dollar bin hip-hop acts that get videos, ads, big cameos etc....

Young Phonics stays making fact errors...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Like this and like that, the hood got my back, makin' paper stack, slangin' masa like crack

• I stolededed it from Spine Magazine. No way could it be O-Dub since it praises Common and no way can it be NYT's because this write-up actually knows what it's talking about when it comes to rap music is semi-literate trash and the NYT employs the best rap writer currently doing it.

Actually I mistaked NYT for Paychecks' homeboy Tom Brewhatshisface and the Village Voice.[/quote

READ-UP ON YOUR READ-UPS SALLY

• this also neglects to mention the new three 6 that was "guaranteed to drop at the end of the year" but somehow never made it out. why is rap the only genre where artists constantly advertise their release dates and they never happen?

It also didn't notice SA-RA's album but I also heard they got dropped from GOOD.

I think 'Ye lost his whole label deal, not just Sa-Ra Creative Fashion Consultants or whatever they're called.

Half the work is already done for them that's why. Without the Sony label spending any money those dudes created a huge buzz and got critics/blogger types a few people that post on www.okayplayer.com writing about them. That's more than can be said for a lot of those dollar bin hip-hop acts that get videos, ads, big cameos etc....

So you and Johnny Pay think no one knows about thos dudes? Isn't the fact that you types know who they are refute that? I'm not saying the average person is up on them and they are a big deal (similar to all the little dudes talking about "y'all so stupid") but those guys don't even have a video or an album out and it's done okay for them.

IF A TREE FALLS AND DANIEL DOESN'T HEAR IT...DID IT REALLY FALL!?!?!?!??!

gtfoohwtbs

• If it didn't fall on soulstrut, he probably didn't hear it...

• this also neglects to mention the new three 6 that was "guaranteed to drop at the end of the year" but somehow never made it out. why is rap the only genre where artists constantly advertise their release dates and they never happen?

So you and Johnny Pay think no one knows about thos dudes? Isn't the fact that you types know who they are refute that? I'm not saying the average person is up on them and they are a big deal (similar to all the little dudes talking about "y'all so stupid") but those guys don't even have a video or an album out and it's done okay for them.

gtfoohwtbs

This post speaks asshurt of mega proportions.

this also neglects to mention the new three 6 that was "guaranteed to drop at the end of the year" but somehow never made it out. why is rap the only genre where artists constantly advertise their release dates and they never happen?

gtfoohwtbs

I'm not saying nobody knows about them--I'm saying I've never seen a single reputable critic or bloggeur enthuse over them.

There's a difference betweeen garnering internet buzz amongst little dudes that post on okayplayer and sleep with a copy of Rickey Vincent's book under their pillow versus attracting the attention of true tastemakers such as myself or Paycheck.

And you might wanna put some neosporin or something on that diaper rash.

And you might wanna put some neosporin or something on that diaper rash.

You treat diaper rash with either petroleum jelly or zinc oxide cream, not an antibiotic.

Faux = from baby ass remedies.

by the way, the only person I can remember getting excited over Sa-Ra was Beni B (ABB Records) who I bumped into at Amoeba...maybe two years back? And he was trying to convince me that "Sa-Ra were the new Kanye."

Since then, I've heard very little in the sense of "hype" over them.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    true tastemakers such as myself

I'm glad that you are able to laugh at yourself like that.

• by the way, the only person I can remember getting excited over Sa-Ra was Beni B (ABB Records) who I bumped into at Amoeba...maybe two years back? And he was trying to convince me that "Sa-Ra were the new Kanye."

You sure that wasn't actually a heftier Young_Phoniques (pre-workout plan), merely ABB'd down in promo gear?

• These dudes broke up.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Broke up like NWA or broke up like Dolce and Gabbana?

• Broke up like NWA or broke up like Dolce and Gabbana?

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I wonder if Edan will drop something next year.

....could be a while?

Is he hard at work on a follow-up to his breakthrough LP, Beauty And The Beat (Lewis Recordings, 2005), his second album, which was critically exalted by critics for its tight marriage of psychedelia and classic hiphop aesthetics?

"No," he replies from his place, still a bit groggy after waking up from a nap, after a recent one-off show in Finland.

All righty. Is he planning any interesting new mixtapes, like 2004's Sound Of The Funky Drummer, a collection of tracks constructed on the most sampled break in hiphop?

"No."

Does he have any plans to reconnect with Fiber, the funk/jazz/rap band he scratched alongside with musicians from Beantown's Berklee College of Music, around the turn of the millennium.

"Oh, is that what you heard?" he fires back.

These days, when he's not doing the occasional show, he's taking in Red Sox games ("Fenway's right around the corner from me"), listening to tapes of 80s New York hiphop radio shows and Turkish records ("They've got a pocket like funk records and they're talking about some heavy shit"), watching films and taking bike rides with his girlfriend.

"I don't know what else to say, man," he defends. "You just came at me like I should be having 10 things on the stove, but that's the way it is, you know what I mean? I mean, I have a couple little things in the works, but nothing that remarkable to speak of."

• Since then, I've heard very little in the sense of "hype" over them.

there where in this little magazine called..umm...Scratch. I think you might know of it.

Since then, I've heard very little in the sense of "hype" over them.

there where in this little magazine called..umm...Scratch. I think you might know of it.

Much as I like the mag, I don't cosign on everything that appears in its pages.

Who ghostbumped this thread?

Is it time to hatt on Sa-Ra Domestic Partners again already?

Yo, Young P: I thought they were gonna make Gnarls Barkley noise this year?